Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  trouble logging into forums

adelerose
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I have repeatedly had trouble logging into these forums. I get the message that my username or password is incorrect, when neither is the case. The first time this occurred, I was able to fix it by clearing my cache and removing all sycophanthex cookies. The second time this occurred, I tried that method, but still had to request a new password. Last night, the system rejected me three times and said I had to wait a half hour before logging in again. Waiting a half hour wasn't enough--I continued to get the message that I'd logged in incorrectly too many times, even when I tried logging in this morning. I had to request a new password and reactivate my account, at which point I was able to log in with the new password. This is an intermittent problem that doesn't happen every time I log in, but it happened several times over the last week, so I thought I ought to let you all know.
Metamuse
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
We know but there isn't anything we can do. It's the program we use. I've tried different settings but they are not working.

If you have trouble logging in, just clear history and cookies and log in again. It seems to work more consistently then other options.

adelerose
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Metamuse. I'll do that.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
adelerose,

Are you getting to the forums from the new site, or are you getting here from

http://sycophanthex.com?

I don't know for sure but that may make a difference. The first time I tried to log in here after clicking forums from the new home page I had that trouble too. It said I had the wrong password, that user name was invalid, I can't remember what else.

So I went to the above link and clicked forums and everything went smoothly. Also unless it is a problem with sharing your pc with someone else or safety problems maybe you could try, once you get logged in, selecting to stay logged in that way you are always ready to go when getting here.
kazfeist
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote
I can log into the fiction fora but not the artwork. Is there a separate registration necessary for Illusions? I tried to register, but it would not accept me, saying my email and username was already in the system, but then would not let me log in.
liquidscissors
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
kazfeist wrote:
Is there a separate registration necessary for Illusions?

Yes, Illusions is a seperate registration.

http://www.shillusions.com/register.php
jynx67
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been having a problem with the forum for over a week now, ever since I cleared my cookies in order to be able to get onto Mage. It will not, no matter how many times I try to click the remember me box, remember my username and password. I have to log in every time I come to the page. I've tried through several links, including the direct one from Mage and a bookmark of the page as it comes up in the url box. I'm using Firefox as my browser, but I don't think IE worked either.

Any clues? I realize this is a minor problem, but it's pretty darn annoying to always have to login, even if I haven't closed my browser, but gone to another site.
Metamuse
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nope. No ideas or solutions. It's a screwy thingy. I don't know why it does it to this forums only. SH has another set of forums that are used regularly, but we never have these type of problems.

im2sleepy2
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
jynx67,

Hi, again!!!

I'm sorry to see that your having more troubles!! Let's see if we can't figure this is and get you up and running again the way you like.

Myself, I have 3 different browsers on my pc, currently, I am using Netscape
and so far *crosses fingers* I haven't had any problems that I haven't been able to fix or that I haven't been able to find an answer to on here.

Firfox happens to be one of the browsers that I have. Trying to recreate the problem that you are having I opened up Firfox and cleared my cookies and then came to the forums and clicked remember me and logged in. Then I closed it and reopened it and came back to the forums and was still logged in.

So I started to do a little looking into the workings of Firfox browser, and have some ideas that I would like for you to try if you don't mind. I will give you step by step instructions, as if you are completely new to poking around on the net and pc and all that stuff. Please do not be offended by this. The reason is so that in case someone else is having the same problem and is actually not very computer or internet savvy they will have an easier time understanding and possibly fixing their problem.

Ok, ready? Here we go:

*edit* I forgot the link... http://forums.sycophanthex.com/

1. First of all, obviously open your browser and go to the forums. I suggest using this link just in case there may be an issue with the one from the homepage at MAGE (or your pc just doesn't want to play nice with MAGE which I have had happen).

2. At the top of your browser page, in your toolbar find the tab or button (whatever you want to call it) marked Tools, and open that.

3. At the bottom of the drop down menu find the Options button and select that, which will open up a box on top of your browser.

4. In this across the top there will several things for your to select from... General, Privacy, Content, Tabs, Downloads, Advanced they will all have pictures above them. We are going to be working withPRIVACY, so, click that one.

5. A little lower you will have several tabs to select from... History, Saved Forms, Passwords, Download History, Cookies, Cache. We want the one that says COOKIES

6. Once it switches to that, there will be a definition of cookies and then there is a box for a checkmark, check it. You will see that it says to ALLOW SITE TO SET COOKIES.

I don't know about you but it kind of ruffles my feathers when websites do that (but I do have it checked), apparently Firefox understands some users have a problem with that. Because they have a way of managing your cookies, which you should see if you continue reading what is there.

7. Next to the explanation for the box there is a button that says EXCEPTIONS. If you click this, another box will open on top of the previous one. You can have a little fun here . Read what it says across the top. Notice where it says... Address of website type or copy and paste this url http://sycophanthex.com/forums/login.php?sid=968a6ff063922809a2a956cfc55e473e in there then click ALLOW.

8. There are 2 (two) other boxes for check marks. These others help you to manage the cookies that are kept. Such as where they come from and for wether or not you have removed cookies from a site. Also there is a drop down menu to determine how long to keep the cookies for.

So, try this first. And post and let me know if this helps or not, if not then I will put in more ideas for you to try.

Sleepy

*edited*by myself, sleepy, 'cause I am to to remember to actually put the link in.

Last edited by im2sleepy2 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Metamuse
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Sleepy, have I mentioned how much I idolize you? lol

Thank you for all the help!

im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think so. Laughing Embarassed

But I bow to the master OH GREAT ONE

Sleepy
jynx67
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
*sigh* it didn't work, Sleepy. I even have cookies for forums.sycophanthex.com in there. It's odd. I added the link you said to allow and still nothing. Sad This is really frustrating.

By the way, I also pulled up IE and tried it. No luck there either. I stay logged into the archives, but I can't on the forums.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
Jynx,

Just got back home from trick or treating with the kids.

I need to recooperate for a while, so tomorrow I will get back on and see if we can't try something else.

I am bushed!!! Laughing Laughing

'Til tomorrow then,
Sleepy
jynx67
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
No problem, Sleepy. I guess I should also tell you that it's on both my work and home computers that I'm having the problem. Doesn't matter where I try to log in, I can't keep a continuous login.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....

Definately food for thought. I will be getting back to you later on this, sometime today.

Other ideas that I have will more than likely be working in the same place in general as we were on the last long post I made.... The one with toolbar, tools, and options.

In the meantime...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Sleepy