Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Canon vs. Fanon  ~  DADA vs. Defence Against the Dark Arts

jynx67
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't really sure where to post this, however I think this might be the best place for it.

Recently, I've read several stories that use DADA a lot. I'm trying to understand how this gets past our prestegous validators. I don't remember at any time when JK Rowling has shortened Defence Against the Dark Arts to DADA within her stories. It's not like I see DADA when someone is writing a letter. I've even seen instances when someone has put it in dialogue!

Personally, I find it very... disconcerting when I see the abbreviation. It's like a sudden stop in the story for me. I have to consciously read out the abbreviation or go back and re-read the sentence replacing DADA with Defence.

So, why must you use it? Why is is allowed?
Owlbait
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but it's canon since HBP

from chapt 12:

Harry rather doubted he would be able to bring off this particular spell; he was still having difficulty with non-verbal spells, something Snape had been quick to comment on in every D.A.D.A class.

-Liz

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Can't we just forget about HBP? But that's for another thread.... Was that the American or British version?

Well, I never see it spelled D.A.D.A. and who the heck is going to SAY D.A.D.A.?
Owlbait
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
jynx67 wrote:
Can't we just forget about HBP? But that's for another thread.... Was that the American or British version?

Same in both versions.

jynx67 wrote:
Well, I never see it spelled D.A.D.A. and who the heck is going to SAY D.A.D.A.?

I'd guess it's pronounced DADA. I doubt anyone spells out O.W.L. or N.E.W.T. when speaking either. It's funny that after years of Harry taking the class, this is the first and only time the name is abbreviated. I wonder if Jo's head got corrupted by reading too many fanfics. <g>

-Liz

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
*laughs* Jo's been corrupted alright. *grumblesillybookgrumble*

It's just really odd and disconcerting. I suppose I'll just have to *groan* suffer through.
peskipiksi
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Stephen Fry reading HBP says D.A.D.A. (dee ay dee ay). I'm not saying this is therefore definitive, I'm just adding to the discussion.