Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Hungry beta, feed me? (De-squickitized!!)

Sophi
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jul 2005 Posts: 7 Location: North Carolina (*shudder* Not usd to life below the Mason-Dixon yet...)
Name or Penname: Sophi
Email: sophistophericated@gmail.com
Beta Experience: No beta-ing experience in fanfiction but I have helped edit two books and written plenty of papers for picky English teachers. Edit: I've started beta-ing Wonderful Child's story, Walk Through The Fire, over at Ashwinder. (ps - go read it! It's great!)
Writing Experience: I've been writing since I was very young; I've always scored very high on writing tests - I got an 11/12 on the essay for the SAT, if it means anything to you. I've always gotten consistent 96+ on writing grades since sophomore year of high school. I never have enough time to write a book, but I have plenty of things started, haha... I think that's why I'm reverting to editing -- so I can pretend like I actually did something Wink
Personal Website: I have one, but it's not up at the moment
Ratings: Squick me, I dare you Wink
Ships: I prefer HG/SS, but I'll read something else if you really want me to. I just identify really well with these two characters so it's very easy for me to see what's canon and what's fanon.
Categories/Genres: Oh, anything, really. Fluffy and parody tends to irk me, but if it's original I'll probably read it. PWP Fluff is cool, just not G-rated fluff and the like. Not my thing.
Strengths as beta reader: I like to think of myself as a comma and semi-colon nazi, haha. I also am a great speller and I have a couple years of Latin under my belt, so I can help if you're trying to string a few things together for your own spell. Like I said earlier, I identify with HG/SS because I am very much like these characters (if you think they're complete opposites you're a loon), so I can definitely help with canon in that respect. I can help with canon for minor characters (meaning anyone who is not HG/SS because they should be the main characters, duh), but if your story is like... GW/HP or something, I won't be able to help as much.
Weakness: The complete memorization of potion ingredients and stuff... I kinda trust that the author wouldn't just run around saying that belladonna is part of The Draught of Peace without researching it first (it's not, by the way). I know the correct spellings of most general spells (Stupefy, not stupify, expelliarmus, not expellarmus etc...) but not the less-common ones. Of course, I'm completely willing to research everything in the lexicon for you.
Dislikes: Like I said earlier, G-rated Fluff is boring to me, don't ask me to beta it. I'm not saying it's crap, just not my cup of tea. I also don't like character death of Hermione or Snape at the hand of the other, because it seems stupid to me. What's the point in writing if they don't even get a story? Maybe I'm just a tragic romantic and want to see them come through Wink I also prefer longer stories with plots, but I'm all for a bit of PWP, heehee... Edit: Oh, fics where Hermione gets pregnant aren't my favorite, either.. I don't mind an epilogue, but I don't want to beta something anything like that if it's the basis of the story
Any additional notes: Just because I say I don't like beta-ing anything but HG/SS doesn't mean that I won't. I'd prefer to have you established as someone I enjoy beta-ing before I do, though. For example, if you have me beta three HG/SS stories and want me to beta a RW/HG story and I think you're a good author, I'll probably do it because I know that you won't make it suck. HG/SS is just my forte.

Leave a comment/email me if you're interested! I'll send you an email asking more questions about your story (and you, of course) once I get it.[/i]

Last edited by Sophi on Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
mugglemom
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I emailed you. I am looking for a beta.
Froggy
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
You sound just like what I have been looking for Smile I am in need of a beta for my story; a rather short one of HG/SS. It's a PWP/Humour thing, and approximately 6-7 short chapters long.

Would you be interested in helping me with my story?

Froggy
Emiliana Kostova
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm a amateur author needing a beta frantically. Would you be interested?
Thanks.