Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Beta reading

Mathstarlette
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 33 Location: out of my mind, leave a message at the beep
O.K. I'm brand new here and I want to know what the process for a beta-reader is. Shocked Now before you think I'm just being dumb I want you to know that I'm serious! Does the author Email the chapter, then the beta makes the corrections and sends it back to them or what? Maybe I'm just to tired or have I finally lost all reasoning? Twisted Evil Please tell me cause I'm thinking about becoming a beta reader.
celisnebula
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Hi Mathstarlette,

That is the general gist. You write the chapter and then send the file that is compatibile with your chosen beta's software (I prefer getting a word document as opposed to a works document, but I can work with that and notepad). How a beta edits really depends on their style. I have a beta who makes the corrections in red, I follow a similar patter when I beta with the corrections in red, suggestions in blue, and questions about the chapter or any plot holes I see in another color.

It usually takes anywhere from 36-72 hours, depending on the size of the chapter -- sometimes it can be less, and sometimes more depending on how much work is needed. The beta will then mail you the chapter back and you fix the corrections on your unbetaed copy on your computer (at least that is how I do it, and then I keep the beta copy and any correction letters so I can look those over to see what sort of mistakes I make on a continous basis).

Thats about it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger