Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Technique  ~  lack of posts by artists

tripperfunster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
Okay Gloredhel, here I am!

Hmm, what were the questions I was going to ask....

uh, do you have other work on a site somewhere??
The last comment by...i forget her name, but she sort of....ousted your work by posting the site where you found the 'models' for your pic, I was going to ask you if you draw from your head or if you look at photos (which is what i do) but I guess that sort of answered my question there.

Was she trying to be a bitch or what?? Like, there is some law against looking at a reference photo? btw--great site! heehee I seem to be lacking in good looking gay models to pose for me as well! Wink

Have you written any fanfics?

There we more questions (that actually pertained to your art) but I can't think of them right now. I'll post again later.

Tripp
Gloredhel
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
Hey Tripp! (I'm really restraining myself from calling you funster, which sounds pretty cool, too)

Yes! I was ousted. Embarassed I should have mentioned the photo reference on Illusions, I did on my other site, which is on deviantArt. My username there is Gloredhel04.

I'd like to think she wasn't trying to be intentionally vicious: if she wanted to be really mean, she could have written something much worse. I don't really mind, since I needed the reminder to properly site my work, I guess.

I did email the admins asking if it's okay to post things drawn from photos before I posted Home Sweet Home, (the one of Harry), and they said as long as it was your work, it was fine, so I wasn't doing anything wrong. *shrugs*

My stuff on dA is mainly the three here on Illusions, and some photography, and some other drawings in my scraps section. I am working on other big compositions, it's just that I drew the HP stuff *before* my semester began when I was bored with nothing to do, and now I'm right in the thick of it with heaps of work. I haven't had enough time to properly detox enough to really work on something big, if that makes sense. That will most likely have to wait for the summer.

And yes! I also have a fanfic. It's here on SH on Eros & Sappho, called The Potion Sir Galahad Wished He Had. It's ~10,000 words and growing, and it's a Neville-centric coming out (or of age... whichever, or both). I'm not really sure why I haven't made any fanart for it... although I do have a good idea for one, but it'd take forever. Think Star Wars poster, but with the characters in my fic. *giggle*

Do you have an account on dA? I tried giving links to my userpage to others, and it didn't really work out for them, but since I don't know of another way, here it is: http://gloredhel04.deviantart.com/gallery/

I apologize ahead of time it if doesn't work.

Hope these answers helped, and I'll be happy to answer any more you have.

We should really start encouraging others to use the forums because you can't really get a good discussion going in the comments sections.

Maybe whenever we post new artworks, we should have hyperlinks to the forums or something, it'd make beginning the discussions much easier.

Gloredhel
tripperfunster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote
that's funny that you have a Neville fic. I do too! Is yours a Sneville or just a Neville? Mine's Sneville, (like you couldn't guess... Rolling Eyes ) It's not posted anywhere yet, it's being beta'd at the moment. I would have entered it in the Deathday festival, but it was WAAAY too long, so I took an excerpt and entered it as a short story. The results of the contest are supposed to be announced soon...wish me luck!

Hyperlink? Obviously you know a lot more about computers than I do! (not that you would have to know much to be more 'puter literate than me)

I don't think you should be obligated to mention a photo that you have done a drawing of. If you took a pic and changed it somehow, perhaps, but like the admins said...if it's all your own work then, who cares??

That's funny what you said about the Star Wars poster, I too had thought of using that as a basis for one of my silly Sev drawings, but nixed it.(too much work)

Hey, here's an art question... On the one of Trent/Snape, you said that you didn't do any blending. How is that? did you just draw SUPER lightly over the less shaded areas? Also, when you DO blend, what do you use? When I am drawing larger, less shaded areas, I have trouble using tortillions (stumps) because they are too narrow ended and I get lines instead of smooth blends.

sorry for all the questions, but I only started drawing in November (I had a REALLY boring second job at the time, and had scads of time to do SOMETHING during work, so I took up art.)

also, when you say Graphite, what does that mean exactly? I mean, I know it's pencil, but I don't know specifically what it means.

I have an account on Da (just opened it last month.) There's nothing there that I haven't posted on Illusions. my user name is...hold on to yourself here...tripperfunster.

whatcha taking in school??

Talk to you later,
tripp
liquidscissors
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Quote:
I did email the admins asking if it's okay to post things drawn from photos before I posted Home Sweet Home, (the one of Harry), and they said as long as it was your work, it was fine, so I wasn't doing anything wrong. *shrugs*

I don't know who answered your question exactly, but my stance is that you should absolutely cite any reference images, even it's just only mentioning that it's referenced.

Cite, cite and cite photo references, or you will be found out. It's the nature of the internet; it's a very small place.
Gloredhel
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Liquidscissors - I don't remember who it was I emailed, and I checked my inbox but I deleted it. I don't remember a citation being mentioned, but like you said, I should, and will from now own, give credit where it's due.

Tripp, you'll have to read my fic to find out who he'll end up with, but it's very unlikely it will be Snape. Good luck with the Deathday fest. Another friend of mine entered something else in there, and was wondering when they were going to post the winners as well.

Damn! You caught me when I was trying to be computer savvy, which I'm not. Laughing I'm not sure if it's possible in the description section when you post your art, but just a link someone could click on that would send them here. Or maybe just the address they can copy/paste to go to. *shrug*.

I didn't really even use a tortillion until recently. I had a private art tutor for about a month, and her personal belief was that they weren't necessary and a "good artist" could do without them. *giggle* Suffice to say that kept me away from blending for years.

Yeah for the Trent/Snape I just colored very lightly with 4H for the lightest shading, then HB, then 4B, and 6B as darkest. The paper I used for that was really cheap as well - I'm surprised it turned out that well because the paper wasn't smooth at all.

For the Harry and the kiss one, I used the tortillion, and the what I did to keep from making lines was use one end for the lighter shading, and use the whole shaved side of the tortillion, not just the tip. On a regular writing pencil, it would look like I were coloring with the wood part as well. For the darker shades, I used the other side of the stump, and didn't mix the two because it would smudge the light side too much.

With graphite, I just mean pencils with different densities. Just me trying to sound smart, Smile

No problem with the questions!

And right now, I refuse to speak of my schoolwork, because if I did, I would just start crying it's making me so upset at the moment. *sigh* I really hate school right now.

Speaking of which I have a class in a couple minutes. Hope to see you on dA!

And Happy Valentine's Day! *blows kiss*
tripperfunster
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I read your fic and left you a scathing review. Just kidding, I quite liked it, although I HATE WIP because I'm too impatient to wait!! TELL ME NOW! Confused

I really liked the bit about his jealousy over Harry's dead parents. It's not something I'd ever really thought about, but it makes a lot of sense.

Tripp