Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  The All-American Hogwarts Challenge for Any Archive

Froggy
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The Point: What would life be like at an American-style Hogwarts?

The Rules:
- The story has to take place at Hogwarts school of wichcraft and wizardry
- The following characters must be present at Hogwarts (though not necessarily in your plot): Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, McGonnagall, Malfoy, Snape, Crabbe&Goyle, Neville, Padma and Parvati Patil, Ginny, Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas, Pansy Parkinson, Milly Bullstrode, Hagrid and Trelawney
- Quidditch is still the "only" sport, but there should be cheerleaders and popularity contests and much more focus on it than is cannon
- The classical groups of "society" must be present: sport jocks, cheerleaders (these could be male as well), geeks&nerds, drop-outs, and finally, unpopular girls
- Each character in the story must belong firmly within at least one category
- There must be at least one "prom"

Other than that, do whatever you wish. Everything is permitted. Entries should be in by 1 May 2006 (the first chapter at least, if you're writing several) the latest.
mouseII
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Could this challenge be expanded, so that writers can create a (country of your choice)-style Hogwarts?

I have ambivalent feelings about taking a wonderfully British story and trying to make it American, just for the sake of making it American. Reading about an Indian-style Hogwarts, or an Australian-style Hogwarts, or a Brazilian-style Hogwarts, would be just as interesting to me as reading about an American-style Hogwarts. Why restrict ourselves so much, when there's a whole planet's worth of cultures out there to explore?
Froggy
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I hadn't really thought about that. Although I kind of enjoy the idea of putting the States under the microscope, the challenge would of course work with other countries.

However, one thing must remain unaltered about the challenge: the characteristics/details of the country/society you are recreating must be prominent in the story.

Better? Smile
edwards9mmbutterfly
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
The deadline has passed, but would I still be able to have a go at writing this? If not, are there any links for stories by people who have tried it?

Want a new icon? For free? Go Here!
Froggy
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
But the deadline is not passed yet. The 1st of May this year? Of course you can still enter! Very Happy

I would love to read your story; could you possibly post here/send me a link when the first chapter is up?

Thank you for your interest.

Froggy
edwards9mmbutterfly
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Froggy wrote:
But the deadline is not passed yet. The 1st of May this year? Of course you can still enter! Very Happy

I would love to read your story; could you possibly post here/send me a link when the first chapter is up?

Thank you for your interest.

Froggy

Damn, for some reason I thought it said March 1st.. Thanks!

Want a new icon? For free? Go Here!
serious meg
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey,
The deadline has deffinatly past, is there a link that I can read these stories?

Thanx Megz
Froggy
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had one; people said they would write and then they didn't. Ha ha. Maybe I should have foregone the deadline.