Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Beta Reader Available

Diana
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:53 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Name or Penname: Diana

Email: dbryant0001@hotmail.com

Beta Experience: I have beta reading experience in various fandoms not related to HP. I also have editing experience in the scholarly/professional journal sector.

Writing Experience: I've written a few fanfictions related to other fandoms. All of my fanfiction has been used as a tool in preparing myself to write my own novel length fiction. I have recently completed my first piece of full length original fiction and am currently in the process of editing. I also write original poetry and short stories.

Ratings: All ratings are acceptable.

Ships: Mainly SS/HG. I prefer for Hermione to be of age and if possible to have completed her seventh year at Hogwarts. I am willing to read stories where Hermione is still a student, but any fiction where Hermione is under the age of consent will be turned down.

In addition to SS/HG I also enjoy various other pairings and situations. I am not adverse to slash pairings as long as they are done with taste and the characters involved manage to keep their dignity in tact. I also enjoy stories about the Malfoys. I have a strange fascination with the LM/HG pairing but must warn you in advance, I am extremely picky when it comes to this particular pairing and what I am willing to read.

Categories/Genres: Almost anything will be acceptable with a few exceptions.

I'm not really a fan of song fiction. Stories where songs are used as inspiration or within a full length piece are fine, however stories where song lyrics are used in place of actual dialogue or plot will be rejected.

Alternate Universe fiction, Cross-Over fiction, and Time-Turner fics are all big turn offs as well. I feel that I should mention my reasoning for the Time-Turner restriction. I'm not adverse to many of the already published stories that deal with this subject matter, but I feel that the idea has been overdone and has consequently surpassed even the unoriginal mark.

Strengths as beta reader: I believe that my grammar is passable, but not perfect. I am known for cracking open a grammar book for reference if I happen upon something I am unsure about. I believe in proper sentence structure and spelling. Again, if I am unsure about something, never fear I am willing to fall back on the proper resources for the answer.

In addition to my writing, reading, and research methods, I was born and raised in London. I currently reside in the states, but I know British lingo and believe that I am a fairly accurate Britpicker. I have also spent a considerable amount of time in Scotland.

I also believe my knowledge of canon to be vast. I have read each of the HP books many times over again and have visited various HP source sites (i.e. HP Lexicion) frequently. I have complied my own collection of research on the fandom using both the books and statements about them made by the author.

I'm also fluent French and I know limited Latin.

Weakness: I mentioned above that my grammar is not perfect. My spelling is not perfect either. However, both of these issues are easily rectified with a dictionary and a grammar book.

I should also mention that I do not believe in criticism. I believe in constructive feedback and suggestion. I do not like the word criticism to be perfectly honest. I believe in suggesting areas of improvement so that an author can be inspired to do better and not be afraid to continue down their path. I strongly believe that even the worst written stories have potential. There is no such thing as a "bad story" in my opinion, only bad writing, and bad writing can be fixed. If you are looking for a harsh Snape-esque critic, I'm probably not a beta reader best suited for your needs.

Dislikes: I absolutely detest out of character stories. The only stories with OOC's that I accept must be done with intention. Parody and humor fiction will be accepted. I also understand that sometimes our beloved characters will become OOC due to plot reasons. Please do not be afraid to at least send me the summary or the first few chapters if you are unsure.

I'm also very picky when it comes to original characters within the HP universe. I'm not talking about minor original characters. I am talking about the dreaded Mary-Sue. A Mary-Sue can be hard to spot at times, but if your story has an original character that is being portrayed as the center of the universe and everyone else in the story thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you have created a Mary-Sue. Don't bother sending me the story.

I want to stress that I am not against original characters being incorporated into any stories that I decide to read, quite the opposite actually. Two of my favourite Snape/Granger fanfictions, both by Azazello, have great original characters in them. There is a fine line between what makes an original character great and what makes an original character become a Mary-Sue.

Any additional notes: I am also willing to beta any original fiction. Novel length, short stories, and poetry is all acceptable.

I would also like to mention that any stories submitted that I choose to except will be viewed as any other job. In other words, if I accept your story, I will treat it with the same care and respect that I would any professional work. If you are looking for a beta reader to simply shower you with praise and tell you how great you are, I'm definitely not suited to your needs. If you wish to have a beta reader who is willing to invest as much attention and care into your story that you do as the author, I would be happy to help.
valis2
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quote
I have been in need of a Britpicker since day one of uploading my fic, which is a SS/OFC set in Harry's sixth year.

It's now been nearly a year, and I have 100,000 words and sixty chapters. I would love for someone to go through and do a bit of Britpicking. I know that it's a bit much to ask someone to do it now, but it bothers me that there are Americanisms in it, and I'd like it to be as polished as possible.

If you'd like to take a look at it and decide whether or not you're interested in performing a Britpick on it, it's here. You will have to log in to read it, because it is rated R. It's the story called the Last Sanguimagus. Please let me know if you are interested.
Diana
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Just a quick note. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I am not longer available at this time. If you really, really need someone to look over your story, email me about it and if I cannot help you, I will direct you an appropriate alternative.

Thank you,
Diana