Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  1984 Challenge.

the mad madame
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Since HBP, Fudge has been removed from office by Rufus Scrimgeour, "former Head of the Auror Office of the Ministry of Magic where he was apparently suspicious about Kingsley's search for Sirius Black (OP7)."

I would like to see some stories, hopefully on Ashwinder but all libraries are open. Incorporate some of the elements in George Orwell's 1984.

I would like to see the MoM gain more power in the name of security. With this gain they remove more and more freedoms the Wizarding Public once enjoyed. This creates unease among the people to the point where the Wizarding Public begins to warm to Voldemort's ideals, anything would have to be better than the MoM.

Some items that I would like to see in the Story: Please at least Three (3) items in a story.

1. Use the some type of propaganda and spying tool (1984 have TVs maybe use a network of Scrimgeour portraits and frog cards.

2. Things need to be rationed. What could be that could not be easily gotten in the Muggle world? Would the majority of the Wizarding Public go into the Muggle world for goods like chocolate? Address thi9s in some fashion.

3. Have the MoM changing the history as in 1984. How can a public up rise against a governing body if the only proof they have is memory?

4. Work in a form of Newspeak. (If you need more information read 1984 or don't bother using it.)

5. Make a Romance.

6. Bonus if you can mix a little Fahrenheit 451 book burning.

Let's set an 11 September 2006 deadline.

More information contact me.

Mim
Sekh
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
sounds great! I love 1984!

"Even marriage is different in the wizarding world Hermione. It is a binding contract between husband and wife and cannot be broken. Once this ring is on your finger you are my wife forever." ~Quarantined
the mad madame
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
I liked the concept of 1984. Some places in the book made me yawn from information overload.

When I read HBP, the discription of Diagon Alley with all the posters plastered on the windows and the pamplets on "Protecting Your Home and Family Against Dark Forces" was an erie reminder of Orwells' book. That thought made me wonder what kind of story 1984 would make in the Harry Potter world.

I didn't see the two being a crossover but an infussion of plots. I played in my mind on who the main characters should be and how closely they should follow the story lines, but I kept getting so many possiblities. I had to be honest with myself that this story would not come off the ground if I was writing it. I do not have the skill nor the patience to see it to the end. Hence the the challenge post.

Under the right hands this story could be great. I hope someone will take it on and do it the justice it deserves.

Edited because I can't keep my authors straight.

Last edited by the mad madame on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Sekh
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'm working on a plotline right now! It'll certainly make for a deep story. And it'll be my first post-HBP story that actually aknowledges the fact that Dumbledore died. (It's hard for me to wrap my mind around.)

"Even marriage is different in the wizarding world Hermione. It is a binding contract between husband and wife and cannot be broken. Once this ring is on your finger you are my wife forever." ~Quarantined
Snegurochka
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I read HBP, the discription of Diagon Alley with all the posters plastered on the windows and the pamplets on "Protecting Your Home and Family Against Dark Forces" was an erie reminder of Wells' book.

Heh. It only reminded me of present-day America. Wink

Cool challenge, though.

Peace,
~Snegurochka
the mad madame
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
Snegurochka wrote:
Quote:
When I read HBP, the discription of Diagon Alley with all the posters plastered on the windows and the pamplets on "Protecting Your Home and Family Against Dark Forces" was an erie reminder of Wells' book.

Heh. It only reminded me of present-day America. Wink

Cool challenge, though.

Peace,
~Snegurochka

Yes that too, and as well as London with all the cameras tracking the comings and goings. Don't forget Britain's ASBO and Blair's campaign for RESPECT. We really are there, Big Brother is watching, listening and reading.