Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Could someone remember after an Obliviate?--question

aturia
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this question would go here...but of all the other Forum categories this one seemed the most appropriate. I am in the process of writing a piece and have stumbled on a problem with a certain scene with Hermione and Snape...

Could someone remember an event or things that happened to them after somone casted an Obliviate on them? Would it be a sense of deja vu?

I looked it up on the HP Lexicon website and there was one example in canon of the caretakers in GF book where he had to be continuously Obliviated because he kept seeing magic things...So if a magical person where Obliviated, much like the poor people from Lockheart's treachary, would/could they ever remember.

If anyone has any ideas or opinions I'd love to hear them since I feel stalled at this point. Thanks! Confused
azazello
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
This is one of those areas in canon which is vague. That's actually rather useful to you as it means you can make things up with a fairly clear conscience.

We have one other canon thing about memories, and that's the Pensieve and allied magic, which is fairly specific - Pensieve users are able to determine exactly which memory they remove.

Dumbledore seems to put in a copy of a memory, rather than removing it, whereas Snape entirely removes certain memories so Harry cannot see them.

Using the above as a basis, I think if you explained it clearly, you could pretty much work Oblivation how you wanted. I used a similar in a story, where my villian (an OMC) could remove only just the memories he wanted and I said he did this so no one would notice anything unusual about the person whose memory he had modified. And in the final case of memory modification in the story (he wiped a memory of Hermione's) that memory came back under heavy emotional stress (and she discovered from a third party that the villian had paid a call on her, and other stuff - so the memory came back like a piece in a jigsaw).

And no one pulled me up about it. Well, not to my face. Rolling Eyes

Putting on my SH admin hat, I'd argue that anything is okay in a canon based story, provided canon does not specifically forbid it. Then it must be either AU, or it is "can't be bothered".

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
phoenix
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say yes, if aided by a powerful Legilimens. Remember the memories that Dumbledore got from Morfin and that house-elf? From Chapter 17 re: Morfin

Quote:
[Harry]"But he had this real memory in him all the time?"

"Yes, but it took a great dea lof skilled Legilmency to coax it out of him," said Dumbledore...

If someone Obliterates themself, there is evidence that the memory can still be remembered, as evidenced by Slughorn, a couple pages later in the same chapter. Or it could be that it was because he did a bad job on the Obliviation.

Quote:
[Dumbledore]"He has tried to rework the memory to show himself in a better light, obliterating those parts which he does not want me to see."

Though, thinking about it more, he didn't Obliviate, just tampered with the memory.

Anyway, the Morfin scene is proof the memory is still there, just that the pathway to the memory is gone. Hope it helps. Smile

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jul 2005 Posts: 7 Location: North Carolina (*shudder* Not usd to life below the Mason-Dixon yet...)
I agree with all of the other answers, but as a note, I think the amount of "force" put into the spell has something to do with it. If there isn't the deep desire for whomever to forget a certain situation, then they can probably access it easier than someone who was kick-assed obliviated...