Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Abandonment

rainfall4me
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
A friend and myself have noticed a number of seemingly abandoned fic's throughout Sycophant Hex. I was wondering, and this may seem absurd, if a type of adoption program could be started.

A lot of these abandoned fics have amazing potential, and it saddens me to find that the last update was a year ago (and the story is obviously not finished). So I was hoping something could be done to help these poor fics out so they can have the life they deserve.

I hope you understand my concerns.
celisnebula
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote
Sometimes things get in the way of writing. There is one writer that I read who only updates the story I've been reading once or twice a year, depending on when she/he has time.

Unfortuntately, there isn't much that can be done. Real life has a way of knocking on the door. And it is very bad form to just randomly take something down just because it hasn't been finished. Heck, there is loads to be learned from an unfinished piece of work -- lots of possibilities, and I enjoy reading them, even if they aren't even completed.

It's also very bad form to have another writer finish a piece of fiction -- unless the original writer has given the reigns over (and that hardly ever happens because a story is usually a writer's baby.

It can be frustrating to start on something, only to have it jarringly stop, especially when you *need* to know what happens next, but that can be avoided by using the completed fiction button on the search story bar or by clicking the completed works tag on the top of each forum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diana
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Hi,

I think I can speak for all of my fellow administrators when I state that we understand your frustration; however, to put an official answer to this question, I have to say that it is not at all possible to accomplish what you are requesting. As was stated previously, it is exceptionally bad form to take another author's story and tamper with it, in any fashion.

In addition, Sycophant Hex takes matters such as these very seriously. Any user caught tampering with another user's submission (whether that submission is housed within Sycophant Hex's archives or on another site matters not) will face not only absolutely having their submission removed but also the possibility of their account(s) deleted, as well as the possibility of temporary or even permanent banishment (each matter would be dealt with on a case by case basis).

It is important to note that Sycophant Hex does not exercise ownership over any of the submissions housed on our archives. Indeed, each submission is the sole property of their creator, as well as JKR, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Warner Bros., or any other reputable individual and/or company who may be able to put forth a valid claim of copyright.

If the desire to finish or put forth a sequel to any of the works you have found housed within Sycophant Hex's archives is to a degree that you feel comfortable contacting the original author, you are, of course, free to do so. It is completely at the original author's discretion as to whether or not you are allowed to finish and/or produce a sequel to their original work. It is important to note that if you do gain permission, which I must admit is not all that likely, a written statement from the author must be provided to our administration staff detailing the specifics of your arrangement.

If you have any other questions you are free to contact any member of the administration staff.

Thank you.

rainfall4me
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
I understand completely what you both are saying. It was only a suggestion in the area where suggestions are taken. I do enjoy reading each fiction out there, completed or not.

And my suggestion had in no way meant to imply tampering with anothers work. I now see I should have added getting permission from the original author.