Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Quality?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Diana wrote:

Quote:
Maybe we should start doing it.

That is not to say flaming authors, but at least pointing things out that are dreadful. My solution is emailing privately. I have done this and sometimes authors tell you to get lost and sometimes not.

Maybe we should not. Nay, we will not. At least not in any way that will lead to the embarrassment of any particular user (reader or author alike).

There was a fairly heavy measure of sarcasm in my previous post to which you are referring. I would never embarrass an author; many are inexperienced and learning the fanfic craft. As are some of the betas. There's plenty of places to author-bash online if someone really wants to - it seems to happen enough.

I have heard this same lament about "quality" for years; it never seems to go away. Obviously if we hang, draw and quarter authors who post below "quality" material, it will be solved.

Isn't quality fairly subjective? If we are new to fandom, it all looks really good. It's not until we've read the 500th MLC story that we decide perhaps there are new things to write about.

Are bestselling books always good quality? All too often they aren't, but they are popular.

I was serious about this one. If there is something wrong with a story that hasn't been picked up, email the author. They may like some feedback on their characterisation, they may not. There's only one way to find out.