Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Quality?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that you are cracking down on rudeness and flames. But lately I've noticed that some of the stories that have been posted, on Occlumency in particular, are, well, not of the quality I have come to expect at this site. Bluntly stated, some are so bad they are begging to be flamed.

While they contain correct punctuation, the stories lack good character development or plots. Some recent additions have been just outright poor. I'm a firm believer in "if you can't say anything nice, then keep your stupid gob shut," but as a reader, it's frustrating to wait for updates, only to be disappointed by the lack of quality.

I know everyone has their own opions of what a 'good' story is, but I think if you read some of the latest postings on Occlumency, you'll see what I mean.

Sincerely,

Polite Guest
Diana
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post and for your interest in Sycophant Hex. We always appreciate feedback from our viewership, whether it be in name or annoymous.

Saying that, I would like to point out that in the future, if you feel that any of the submissions housed at Sycophant Hex are not up to our standards, please contact us privately with the name of the story, the author and archive. We cannot look into these matters collectively, as I'm sure you can understand, but we can look into an individual submission.

Please note that our agreeing to look into a particular submission does not mean that we will be removing that submission from the archive. Also note that 'plot', 'character development' and 'quality' are all somewhat subjective matters. What may not appeal to you may appeal to another member of our viewership.

If you have any questions or would like to contact us about a particular submission that you do not feel is up to our standards, please visit the User Help/FAQ section on any of the Sycophant Hex archives to view our contact information.

Thank you again.

veradee
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Diana wrote:
What may not appeal to you may appeal to another member of our viewership.

That's the crucial point, isn't it? I tend to think what "polite guest" said is also true for Ashwinder. But then I look at the stars this particular story has received and see that there are 4.5 or even 5 stars. And the reviews range from "Aaw, cute" via "brilliant" to "update soon." That's the moment when I think that it's obviously my fault that I can't appreciate these stories.
liquidscissors
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Please remember that like many growing archives, the SH family of sites have gradually increased the standards of quality control as readership, author base and general popularity has increased. While the fic admins examine older works on a need-to basis, we simply do not have the time to work backwards and retrofit this very large fic repository.

I find that if you check the dates of the fics you cite, they will be from when SH was just starting out. As always, if you have particular issues with a fic, contact an administrator privately and we will take it from there.
Wondering
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
liquidscissors wrote:
I find that if you check the dates of the fics you cite, they will be from when SH was just starting out.

I got the impression that the original poster was referring to new fics--ones that have just been posted recently. Certainly I have noticed a number of really low-quality fics that are brand-spanking-new that have gone up on Occlumency in the past month.

Is there any way to bring problem fics to the attention of the admins anonymously? Apparently we are not supposed to do so in this forum, due to privacy issues for the author of the fic. But is there a way to be private and anonymous?

Wondering
Metamuse
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
They can be sent to userhelp@sycophanthex.com through our SH.com index page on Contact. You don't have to input your real email address or name. I will work on setting up a way to recommend stories for review anonymously.

Thank you.

southern_witch_69
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="veradee"]
Quote:
But then I look at the stars this particular story has received and see that there are 4.5 or even 5 stars.

To be honest, I never pay attention to the stars. I always forget to rate when I review, and it gives an automatic ten of ten. So I wonder if that's not what others are doing when they review, ultimately giving us false ratings. Now, when I see a story with two or three stars, I do know something must be terribly wrong. I'll go have a look. It's surprising to find some of these out there. Of course, I'm an odd girl. I find that I like a large number of stories that don't seem to have a big following or top ratings.

SW69

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
southern_witch_69 wrote:

To be honest, I never pay attention to the stars. I always forget to rate when I review, and it gives an automatic ten of ten.

Me too. <kicks floor guiltily>. I always forget. Perhaps the default should be 5, or no rating, so only those who take the trouble or remember to set something will be counted.

-Liz

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Owlbait wrote:
southern_witch_69 wrote:

To be honest, I never pay attention to the stars. I always forget to rate when I review, and it gives an automatic ten of ten.

Me too. <kicks floor guiltily>. I always forget. Perhaps the default should be 5, or no rating, so only those who take the trouble or remember to set something will be counted.

-Liz

I would agree. Something that wouldn't count against or for the fic unless the person truly wanted to rate the story. Each time I read something about ratings, I try to remember to do it, but eventually, bad!Southern comes out.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
This problem will be fixed about the ratings in Mage.

It's actually already programmed where you don't have to leave a rating but can leave a review. Smile

southern_witch_69
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
oh excellent! Good thinking! Very Happy

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
I also forget the rating when I review. But then again, I hardly review at all. But I agree with the first poster, I start skipping stories more and more because I just cannot be bothered with them. I'm mainly an Ashwinder reader and at first I thought that it was the 'more of the same' thing because most themes have come along so often. But it is not only that, I do think the standards have been lowered, but I also think I have read so many SS/HG fics that my own standards have become higher. I don't bother reading stories any more that make the WW a sexist 18th century place to be. I don't read stories any more where the author did not bother to find out if their great plot ideas (for example Hermione is poor because her dead parents left huge medical bills) are actually possible in Britian. I want decent character development, I want things like Snape changing his name and thinking about himself in that new name explained throughout his thoughts and his actions instead of 'the author says its so' and I want Snape and Hermione having more in common than their names with the characters in the book. Unless you are a really good author and make me believe in your characters, which some actually manage.
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
Guest wrote:
I'm a firm believer in "if you can't say anything nice, then keep your stupid gob shut," but as a reader, it's frustrating to wait for updates, only to be disappointed by the lack of quality.

<snip>

Polite Guest

Honestly, why do you hold a view that if you can't say anything nice then say nothing? Is that really being polite?

I don't believe in flames, and I know on a "nice" board like this it's hard to be critical - but maybe that is the problem with the OOC ness - we are all too polite.

I do not hold your view, but find myself in a position here of not really being able to express myself in reviews simply because on this board it is not the done thing.

Maybe we should start doing it.

That is not to say flaming authors, but at least pointing things out that are dreadful. My solution is emailing privately. I have done this and sometimes authors tell you to get lost and sometimes not.
crazy_kat
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I know from personal experience that the admins are quite picky about spelling, grammar, and punctuation. However, I have never recieved a mention about plot or characterization in any email I have recieved. Do I take that as a sign that my plot is perfect? No. I take it as a sign that the admins (I am referring to Ashwinder here) simply don't have time to do the job of a beta for every story that is submitted.

Unfortunatly, not every author is able to or willing to do the work required to write a story in which the characters are flawlessly canon, perfectly portrayed, etc.

Writing fanfiction for many is a learning experience - which SH guildlines, there is a certain quality we've all come to expect. However, authors do deserve some leeway, especially those new to writing.

A friendly review, stating what the reader sees as problems within a story, or a private email may go much further than something along the lines of "Your story sucks, why is it on this archive?"
Diana
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Just clarifying a few points here.

Quote:
I do not hold your view, but find myself in a position here of not really being able to express myself in reviews simply because on this board it is not the done thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. These boards are not set up for you to review specific pieces of fanfiction housed within the SH archives; reviewing specific submissions is what the review feature attached to each story within the archives is for.

And relating to 'not really being able to express [yourself] in reviews', so long as you do not personally attack the author, you are free to state your piece and then go from there. This isn't to say that the author will react kindly to what you have to say, or that the author will even react at all, but so long as he or she also avoids attacking you personally in his or her reply, we turn our heads to the matter unless brought to our attention (and even then, unless it is a direct attack on either side, we stay out of the matter).

Basically, if you keep your comments on the story and avoid bringing the author into it personally, it isn't a problem. All of this, of course, is relating to the review threads within the archives. All other 'review' and 'inquiry' issues should be handled by email, either to the author directly, or if you feel uncomfortable doing that, to us. I will state right now that we do answer ALL email received (excepting spam mail, for obvious reasons) and it may take us a few days (in some cases weeks, such as the case lately with the holidays upon us...our admins have lives outside fandom too, you know) but we will answer.

Quote:
Maybe we should start doing it.

That is not to say flaming authors, but at least pointing things out that are dreadful. My solution is emailing privately. I have done this and sometimes authors tell you to get lost and sometimes not.

Maybe we should not. Nay, we will not. At least not in any way that will lead to the embarrassment of any particular user (reader or author alike).

Your solution of emailing the authors privately is preferred. Of course, if you feel strongly enough about the issue, and you have received a 'get lost' reply from the author in question, email us and we will, as I stated above, look into the matter.

I will state right now that while we do not wish to hinder the readers' of our archives rights to express themselves, I will not hesitate for a second to delete any posts that call out any particular author in a fashion that may cause that author embarrassment. Just as our webmistress has set up this section of our boards for users to come here and post anonymously so that they may avoid opening themselves up to attack, the same courtesy must be applied to the authors of fiction of 'questionable quality'. In other words, don't call attention to specific authors, the name of their stories and the errors found in their stories here on these boards. I will delete the post without question, warning or reply.

Quote:
I take it as a sign that the admins (I am referring to Ashwinder here) simply don't have time to do the job of a beta for every story that is submitted.

Thank you. Excellent point. We are not glorified beta readers. The sheer number of submissions stacked up against the number of admins makes beta reading our submissions impossible. Writers are expected to find a qualified beta reader before submitting. You'd be surprised at how many do not. You'd also be surprised to know, with all of the talk of 'low quality' submissions slipping through, how many pieces you, as a reader, never see.