Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Will Work For Brownies

DiseasedHumanity
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Name or Penname: DH is fine
Email: darkmoonsnightmare@hotmail.com {please put BETA in the subject line}
Beta Experience: I've done quite a bit of beta-ing; I'm currently working on a chaptered fic for someone, and on call for another. I also work extensively editing people's papers and stories in school, and editing my own.
Writing Experience: I'm not published, but I've written a wide vareity of things, ranging from fanfiction to poetry to short stories to the novels I'm currently working on. If you're interesting in reading some of what I've written; I've got a few of my fanfictions and a couple originals up on my LiveJournal {http://www.livejournal.com/users/darkdogstar}- feel free to check them out!
Personal Website: The LJ listed above is what I check most often- again: Click!
Ratings: I'll read anything, but I can only guarantee good returns and the like for under NC-17, simply because I have not written enough NC-17 to be able to beta it properly. Anything else, I should be good {I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the rating system here, I'm new to SH itself.}
Ships: Most anything, though no bestiality, please. Or incest, really. Especially no FredGeorge twincest, please. I'm not a huge fan of Harry/Hermione, and I don't like to beta Draco/Ginny because I just don't think it's plausible. I love RL/SB, and I'm open to SS/HG as long as it's plausible.
Categories/Genres: Again, most anything, but preferably not comedy. I'm fine with angst, darkfic, romance, mystery, action, whatever you can throw at me, really
Strengths as beta reader: I'm good with plot development, characterization, plausibility, canon, etc. Grammar I'm not a *genius* at, but I'm pretty good. Oh- and I pride myself on my ability to write good dialogue- that sounds like someone is actually talking.
Weakness: Hmm....I think the biggest problem could be that I'll get too enthusiastic and might try to start to write your story for you. I try to keep myself in check, but it doesn't always works. And again, I'm not a genius at grammar.
Dislikes: Fics where people fall in love or something because of the effect of a potion/spell. It just seems a bit cheap to me. And the ships I mentioned above.
Any additional notes: As of right now, I'm not willing to beta anything more than three chapters long, because of time constraints. Drop me an email with your story summary- I check most every day- and I should be able to get a chapter back to you within a week. I believe strongly in constructive criticism, and I'm not afraid to leave you long comments explaining why I've made a correction. I do write a lot on people's stories, so if you're looking for someone to tell you that your work is wonderful and there's nothing wrong with it, I'm not your person.

Cheers, DH