Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Dialouge question

JenKM1216
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about how to write unspoken dialouge within the text. I know that spoken dialouge is surrounded by double quotations. I have seen stories with several different styles of how they write thoughts. Italics, singel quotations, ect. I just wanted to know what the accepted style for this is.
Metamuse
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
JenKM1216 wrote:
I was wondering about how to write unspoken dialouge within the text. I know that spoken dialouge is surrounded by double quotations. I have seen stories with several different styles of how they write thoughts. Italics, singel quotations, ect. I just wanted to know what the accepted style for this is.

For thoughts you can use either italics or single quotation marks, but once you decide on one make sure to keep it throughout the story for consistency. Italics might be best though because in British writing single quotation marks are standard instead of double, double is an American standard.

liquidscissors
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:28 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Italics are fast becoming the internet norm for indicating thoughts that are without in-line context. It saves a lot of cross-cultural snafus and general punctuation wars.