Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Would like to beta

vanityfair
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been writing fanfiction for almost a year now, and would like to start beta-reading. I feel like I take, take, take, and want to give back.

Name or Penname: Vanityfair
Email: jenken04@yahoo.com
Beta Experience: None thus far. Everyone has to start somewhere. I can't promise perfection but together we can get better.
Writing Experience: Wrote the occasional article for my college newspaper, and as a history major I wrote paper after paper. I'm conversational in two foreign languages, and learned a lot of my grammar that way. You can't understand in it another language if you don't understand it first in your own. I've been writing fanfiction for almost a year. Most of my works are archived here at Ashwinder.
Personal Website: www.livejournal.com/users/vanityfair00/
Ratings: anything but L
Ships: I adore SS/HG but am open to reading other couples. Categories/Genres: anything
Strengths as beta reader: I know my canon. I'm good at catching spelling mistakes, especially those the spell checker doesn't get, like those pesky homonyms. And I'm fairly good with plot as well. I'm honest but deliver any criticism with tact.
Weakness: Although some people, (mostly Americans) have wondered if I am British, I am not. So no brit-picking for me.
Dislikes: Slash and PWPs.
Any additional notes: Pick me! Pick me!
fallen angel
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
If you still want beta work, I am a newbie and I would like a beta for my first fic. This is the key information.

Name: Rachael

Email: ablandindechalain@yahoo.com.au
(it's my dad's which is why it's not inventive, but I manage it for him)

Story title: Simple Pleasures

Summary: Vampires are genetically wired to be eternally depressed. They spend most of their sorta-life trying to find happiness. Severus Snape is a vampire who has given up and is spending his sorta-life trying to help the light side. Hermione is being hunted by the original vampire who believes she is his betrothed reincarnated.
(I am planning to keep the likeness to a soap opera to a minimum. lol.)

Rating: pobably NC-17 but it will take a while to get there.

Category/Genres: Probably angst but with a touch of romance

Ship: SS/HG

Warnings: Quite a few minor character death, it's not very descriptive. Approximently three major chracter suicides but they come back as vampires. They will be slightly more descrptive.

I have the basic outline of the plot jotted down but the is plenty of room for alteration if it is needed:) I am likely to bounce ideas off you in order to fill in the gaps.

Please get back to me if you are interested.

By the way, it is likely to be long and a bit spaced out.
menauchem
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I've read a little of your work on SH. I have no doubt that you'd be a great beta. I'm a novice at writing fics and need a beta to assist me. Shall we be virgins together? I'm writing a SS/HG fic post HBP. I need creative collaberation and editing. Can you help?
Thanks for your time!
peskipiksi
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm a newbie who has a SS/LP canon-compliant 1500 word oneshot. I was drawn to you as I'm conversational in 2 foreign languages too and feel the same way about language as you.

I'm an actor so am not too bad on dialogue. Not so confident in my prose. Don't worry, I don't put any actorly references in! I need help with punctuation, especially around speech. I have a proofreading qualification, but can't proofread my own work! Also need help on which catagories to put work in as I'm new. I'm British so no Brit-picking needed.

Ship: SS/LP
Rating: C
Catagories: probably Friendship/Angst

When SS goes to Grimmauld Place to search for mementos of Lily (in DH), she appears to him - cure lots of forgiveness and tears! I have specifically gone back to the way they spoke to each other as kids, so Snape isn't sarky.

Do get back to me if this interests you.