Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  I have a thought about the task Voldemort asked of Draco...

Zephyros
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, and I don't know if it was at all mentioned in the forums, but we were never actually told what it was, exactly. I don't know if this plays any major role, either, to the theories of Dumbledore not being really dead. It has just been a thought that's been bugging me for a while...

Because Snape had promised to, "... Watch over my son Draco as he attempts to fulfil the Dark Lord's wishes", "...to the best of your ability, protect him from harm", and "should it prove necessary...carry out the deed that the Dark Lord had ordered Draco to perform". I was just thinking, since we don't know what Voldemort actually ordered Draco to do, there might have been some kind of loophole to the Vow that would result in Snape being able to fulfil yet but yet still fake Dumbledore's death.

I, personally, don't think that Dumbledore is alive, and that him returning would be almost anticlimactic. Dead is dead, as Jk once said. But I just had the above thought, and decided to voice it here. I hope to hear what you all have to say.
anita blake
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote
Dumbledore is an ex-headmaster. Bereft of life, he rests. I think his portrait showing up in the office is the clue that he[i]really[i] is gone. I also believe that Snape knew what he was promising to do, and that is why he hesitated.

I also believe that Dumbledore knew, and knew his days were numbered. I think the damage he sustained to his hand may have been weakening him the whole year, possibly. What do you think?
Owlbait
Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
anita blake wrote:
Dumbledore is an ex-headmaster. Bereft of life, he rests. I think his portrait showing up in the office is the clue that he[i]really[i] is gone. I also believe that Snape knew what he was promising to do, and that is why he hesitated.

I also believe that Dumbledore knew, and knew his days were numbered. I think the damage he sustained to his hand may have been weakening him the whole year, possibly. What do you think?

If they hadn't stuffed him into a marble tomb, he'd be pushing up daisys :*)

I'm certain he knew it. I think the accident with the ring made him realize how dangerous the horcrux quest would be and he had better take measures. Then the Unbreakable Vow happened shortly afterwards and Dumbledore knew that either Draco or Severus would have to kill him. At least I believe he knew it because Severus would have reported what had happened.

In either event Dumbledore knew he wasn't going to see another summer. The promise he extracted from the Dursleys to take Harry back one more time before he turned 17 made that abundantly clear. The timing however makes it ambiguous whether it was the near-fatal cursing or information about the Vow which made him begin to start taking steps.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Owlbait wrote:
In either event Dumbledore knew he wasn't going to see another summer. The promise he extracted from the Dursleys to take Harry back one more time before he turned 17 made that abundantly clear. The timing however makes it ambiguous whether it was the near-fatal cursing or information about the Vow which made him begin to start taking steps.

Ooooo! That's a very good point! I hadn't thought of that. This is the first time Dumbledore has ever spoken to the Dursleys face-to-face. The possible significance of that should not be overlooked.

Actually, I think Dumbledore probably already knew about the Vow at that point. Because what did he take Harry to do straight off? To convince Slughorn to return to teach at Hogwarts! And although Harry didn't realize it at the time (thinking that Slug was going to teach DADA), Dumbledore knew perfectly well what he had asked Slug to teach: his old subject, Potions. Which means that he had already decided to give Snape the DADA position. And, knowing about the curse on the position, it seems unlikely that Dumbledore would have given it to Snape unless he knew that Snape was unlikely to be there the following year, curse or not.

Verity