Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Brit-Picker Keepers  ~  What is a chit?

celeritas
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
I keep coming across the word 'chit' when I'm reading fanfics, and I would really like to know exactly what it means, and where in the world it comes from. As a Brit, I had never heard it before I began to read these things, and I would love to know its origins and also, why people think that Severus would ever describe anyone as a 'chit'

Thanks a lot for helping me

celeritas
x
azazello
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
A chit means a young girl. No I do not for a moment think he would talk like that. It's dreadfully archaic. No one in the UK under 80 would talk that way.

Someone in a Georgette Heyer novel might, but not Snape.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
celeritas
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! I didn't even realise that it was English... I thought that it was an Americanisation or something like that, you know, because you get so many examples of 'A mere chit of a girl', and that sort of thing. But thanks for the clarification, anyway.

celeritas
MrsRickman
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
So what is the equivalent of the American "chick"? Or how else would you refer to a young girl?
pipedreamer
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The equivalent to the American "Chick" i would suggest is "bird" - although it is a terribly Northern thing - the kind of word people from Lancashire, Manchester or Leeds might say.

For example: a hot chick would be British-ized as a fit bird.
It's very informal though. Not rude, but definitley informal, and possibly quite Coronation Street sounding.

It's not really used over here.

MithLuin
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
So what are appropriate condescending words for children or young people? Because I'm sure Snape would use them, even if 'chit' is too oldfashioned Wink. I mean, other than the infamous 'dunderheads.' Would 'brat' work?
pipedreamer
Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think Snape would just use "children" and use that tone of voice which he's so good at - you know, where he makes "children" rhyme with "scum" Laughing

Other than that, I don't think he'd use any words in relation to someone's youth. I think he'd just use things like feeble, lackwitted, idiotic, thoughtless, undisciplined, impertinent, etc.