Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  The quality of the book itself

Verity Brown
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
gidget wrote:
Anybody else wonder WHY Dumbledore made Harry get that memory in the first place? Why didn't he just get it himself? Unless DD knew Harry would use the felix felicias ( I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that!)

It sounded like Dumbledore had already tried and failed. I don't know if Dumbledore knew about the Felix Felicis, but I do think that he expected that Harry might have more influence with him than even Dumbledore. We saw that, in fact, at the very beginning, when Dumbledore uses Harry to convince Slughorn to come back and teach.

I think that the fact that Harry was Lily's son probably carried a lot of weight--especially with the mega-networking Slughorn--and that Dumbledore, knowing Slughorn, realized that Harry had a better chance of getting Slug to do anything than anyone else did.

I had an ironic thought--it's Snape's fault, yet again. If Harry had not had Snape's notes, he would not have won the Felix Felicis, and therefore he might never have had that perfect opportunity to get the memory from Slug. And without that, they wouldn't know exactly what they have to do to defeat the Dark Lord.

Verity

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:

It sounded like Dumbledore had already tried and failed. I don't know if Dumbledore knew about the Felix Felicis, but I do think that he expected that Harry might have more influence with him than even Dumbledore. We saw that, in fact, at the very beginning, when Dumbledore uses Harry to convince Slughorn to come back and teach.

I think that the fact that Harry was Lily's son probably carried a lot of weight--especially with the mega-networking Slughorn--and that Dumbledore, knowing Slughorn, realized that Harry had a better chance of getting Slug to do anything than anyone else did.

I had an ironic thought--it's Snape's fault, yet again. If Harry had not had Snape's notes, he would not have won the Felix Felicis, and therefore he might never have had that perfect opportunity to get the memory from Slug. And without that, they wouldn't know exactly what they have to do to defeat the Dark Lord.

Verity

Lol! I hadn't thought about it like that! Poor Snape, helping even when he probably doesn't want to! That does make more sense now about DD asking Harry... I had forgotten that he left Harry to convine Slug to come teach... Embarassed

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:

I didn't see Slug being concerned with power so much as he is with influence and connections. He likes the perks that come to him from knowing the powerful and the talented. I don't think he'd be nearly as happy being powerful himself as he is just sitting back and basking in the reflected glory.

That's Slughorn all right. Being powerful yourself is much more dangerous and has way fewer perks than just being cozy with the powerful and prominent.

I wonder how right he was in being so afraid that Voldemort would make him an offer he couldn't refuse. That did seem to be happening to certain prominent individuals -ie Ollivander.

What, I am now dying to know, was so important about Florean Fortesque? Do the Death Eaters need to keep really good ice-cream out of the hands of Order?

-Liz

-Liz

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, Florean Fortesque did have a good knowledge of Medival Wiazardry, since he is mentioned helping Harry with his essay in PoA. * looking for quote*

Quote:
... bright sunshine outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream parlor, finishing all his essays with occasional help from Florean Fortescue himself, who, apart from knowing a great deal about medieval witch-burnings, gave Harry free sundaes every half hour. PoA pg.42 UK ed

I dunno why the Deatheaters would want him, but that's the only canon mention of anything to do with him outside of Ice-Cream making that is...

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
gidget wrote:
Well, Florean Fortesque did have a good knowledge of Medival Wiazardry, since he is mentioned helping Harry with his essay in PoA. * looking for quote*

Quote:
... bright sunshine outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream parlor, finishing all his essays with occasional help from Florean Fortescue himself, who, apart from knowing a great deal about medieval witch-burnings, gave Harry free sundaes every half hour. PoA pg.42 UK ed

I dunno why the Deatheaters would want him, but that's the only canon mention of anything to do with him outside of Ice-Cream making that is...

Hmmm. Wildly speculating, I wonder if it is possible if he was alive at the time? That would surely make him very interesting to Voldemort.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Owlbait wrote:

Hmmm. Wildly speculating, I wonder if it is possible if he was alive at the time? That would surely make him very interesting to Voldemort.

Not to mention REALLY old, lol! I figure maybe the Deatheaters are researching some old type of magic? Who knows? ... well besides JKR that is...

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
gidget wrote:
Owlbait wrote:

Not to mention REALLY old, lol! I figure maybe the Deatheaters are researching some old type of magic? Who knows? ... well besides JKR that is...

I was thinking more on the lines of Nicholas Flamel and his bit of Philosopher's Stone. Voldemort is really into this 'not dying' thing.