Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Personae  ~  Severus Snape: Dumbledore's Man Through and Through

Princess_of_Mars
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Severus Snape: Dumbledore’s Man Through and Through
By: Sarah Martin of Pennsylvania, USA
Submitted: July 27, 2005

The formatting may not have come through; please, visit http://www.livejournal.com/users/soulbreez/9935.html for the properly formatted essay.

J.K. Rowling has placed a series of clues in the “Harry Potter” series to show the reader that Severus Snape is not a traitor to the Light; he is, in fact, one of the most dedicated to the cause. This essay will outline the clues from the text to prove that the “greasy git” can also be called “Dumbledore’s man through and through.” It will attempt to show that the scene on the Astronomy tower should not be taken at face value-- Dumbledore’s death by Snape was a planned collaboration between the headmaster and the spy.

I am not trying to paint Severus Snape as a knight in shining armor. He is not a nice man and has few redeeming qualities. Yet, his biting words and superior attitude do not make him an evil madman.
Snape first shows his true colors in The Sorcerer’s Stone when he keeps Harry on his broom by muttering the counter-curse to Quirrrell’s jinx. When the trio approaches Hagrid with their suspicions that Snape was the one hexing Harry’s broom, the keeper of the keys immediately rebukes the notion (SS, 192-3). It is important to note that throughout the books, when the topic is Severus Snape, Hagrid is ALWAYS correct and Harry is ALWAYS wrong.

The next point where the reader sees that Snape is indubitably a soldier for the Light is towards the end of The Goblet of Fire. In Chapter 36, “The Parting of the Ways,” Snape flies into a rage and exposes his mark to the Minister,
"Snape strode forward, past Dumbledore, pulling up the left sleeve of his robes as he went. He stuck out his forearm and showed it to Fudge, who recoiled.
"There," said Snape harshly. "There. The Dark Mark. It is not as clear as it was an hour ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it. Every Death Eater had the sign burned into him by the Dark Lord." (GoF, 709).
He is not afraid to display his Mark; Dumbledore knows and has convinced others of Severus dedication. Later in the chapter the headmaster asks his reformed Death Eater,
"Severus," said Dumbledore, turning to Snape, "you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready ... if you are prepared ..."
"I am," said Snape. He looked slightly paler than usual, and his cold, black eyes glittered strangely. (GoF, 713).

Rowling placed many clues in The Half Blood Prince to show that Snape and Dumbledore had pre-arranged a plan for the headmaster’s death.

Chapter 2, “Spinner’s End”, serves two purposes. First, it’s written to throw the reader off and question Snape’s loyalty, therefore moving the plot along and making the story more interesting. This a common literary technique used in mystery novels. The second purpose is key. In this chapter, Snape makes an unbreakable vow with Narcissa Malfoy. The reader must recognize that he had no choice; if he declined, Bellatrix would have felt her suspicions confirmed. The vow was tripartite:
1. Snape will watch over Draco Malfoy as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lord’s wishes. (HBP, 36)
2. Snape will protect Draco from harm to the best of his ability. (HBP, 36).
The third part is where the clue lies:
3. “And if it should prove necessary…if it seems Draco will fail…” whispered Narcissa (Snape’s hand twitched within hers, but he did not draw away), “will you carry out the deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?” (HBP 36).
His twitching hand shows Snape’s reluctance to agree to the impending promise. Yet, his taking the vow does quell Bella’s suspicions: “Bellatrix’s mouth fell open…astonished gaze…her eyes wide…astounded face” (HBP, 36-7).

The argument between Snape and Draco in Chapter 15, the Unbreakable Vow, was also written to throw the reader off, when in truth, Snape is really “that good an actor” and spy (HBP, 328). The reader must remember, when dealing with Snape through the series, that Harry has always been wrong. Recall the argument that Harry secretly overhears between Snape and Quirrell in The Sorcerer’s Stone, Chapter 13. Harry assumes that his Potion’s master was the “bad guy” when in reality, Snape was cornering the man who was looking to steal the Sorcerer’s Stone.

By now the reader should see that whenever a character is a secret third-party to an argument, the argument is never what it seems. This understanding can be applied to the argument that Hagrid overhears between Snape and Dumbledore:
“’S’no wonder Dumbledore’s angry with Sn--…I overheard ‘em talking—well arguing…Well—I jus’ heard Snape sayin’ Dumbledore took much for granted an’ maybe he—Snape—didn’ wan’ ter do it anymore--…It sounded like Snape was feelin’ a bit overworked, tha’s all—anyway, Dumbledore told him flat out he’d agreed to do it an’ that was all there was to it. Pretty firm with him.” (HBP, 405-6)

This is an argument between Snape and Dumbledore over the consequences of the unbreakable vow and his work as a spy. Snape expresses hesitation about fulfilling the vow, but Dumbledore says that he must continue to do these things; the consequence of failure is death “and that’s all there is to it.” Here the reader can insert personal speculation. Did they agree that Snape needs to complete Draco’s task in order to give Draco a chance for redemption? Did Dumbledore make Snape take an unbreakable vow with him, pledging to do the deed? And if so, who was the bonder? Whatever the answer to these questions, Dumbledore knew, as evidenced in Chapter 27, what Draco had in store, he knew Draco was trying to kill him, and if Lucius’ son failed, because of the vow, Snape had to finish the job.

Snape’s position within the Dark Lord’s inner circle is crucial so that Harry will have back-up protection when he finally confronts Voldemort. Severus Snape is too crucial to the cause to break his cover or die to save Dumbledore. By this point is the series, Snape will be able to assist Harry more than Dumbledore in the final confrontation, and therefore, his life is worth more to the cause than Dumbledore’s.

Towards the end of the book Harry confronts Dumbledore, yet again, and Dumbledore, yet again, adamantly assures Harry of Snape’s dedication to the Light. He responds to Harry’s interrogation with “I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely” (HBP, 549). We are never told the complete reason why Dumbledore believed Severus Snape’s repentance; it would be silly to be convinced that it is for the reason Harry thinks.

When Harry returns to Hogsmede from the cave with Dumbledore, the headmaster says, “No… It is… Professor Snape whom I need… Severus… I need Severus…” (HBP, 580). When they land on Hogwart’s Astronomy Tower, “‘Go and wake Severus,’ said Dumbledore faintly but clearly. ‘Tell him what has happened and bring him to me. Do nothing else, speak to nobody else, and do not remove your cloak’” (HBP, 583). Dumbledore is requesting Snape’s help, not to heal him, but, to kill him. If Harry can bring Snape without notice, the curse can be performed quietly, and after Dumbledore has a chance to explain the situation to Harry.

Yet, the plan is ruined by Draco’s entrance onto the tower. Dumbledore petrifies Harry (1) for his own safety and (2) so that he will not interfere in what needs to happen. Dumbledore duped Malfoy into monologue-ing and stalled for Snape’s entrance. Narcissa was right, Draco failed his task- he could not kill Dumbledore.

When Snape reached the tower, the request “Severus…please…” (HBP, 595) met him. This request must not be interpreted as “Severus, please, don’t let them kill me”, it meant “Severus, please, do what you must do, what we agreed that you would do, KILL ME” or “…take care of Harry.” The “revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face” is directed at the situation or at himself, not at the headmaster.

Severus Snape loved Albus Dumbledore unconditionally as a father; he would do whatever Dumbledore asked him to do, even if that was to kill him. His unwavering admiration could be compared to that of Rubeus Hagrid or Harry Potter. Albus Dumbledore may very well have been the only person who ever loved and protected Severus Snape. Tobias Snape, Severus’ father, certainly did not, as the reader sees in Chapter 26 of The Order of the Phoenix, “Seen and Unseen,” when Harry breaks into Snape’s memories “a hook-nosed man was shouting at a cowering woman, while a small dark haired boy cried in the corner” (OotP, 529).

Even after Dumbledore’s death, Snape is still bound by the second part of the Unbreakable Vow. Failing to protect Draco to the best of his ability would mean certain death for Severus Snape. Death is not something he is keen to meet now that his father-figure died after deciding that Severus’ life was more important to the cause than his. Also, Snape needs to present himself to the Dark Lord to announce the headmaster’s death, gain Voldemorts’s complete trust, and infiltrate the most inner circle of Death Eaters. Therefore, Snape’s next step is to get Draco and himself away from Hogwarts, the Order, and the Ministry.

During the retreat, Snape does not throw a single curse, hex, or jinx, unlike the other Death Eaters who are making sure to cause massive damage on their way to the gates. Out on the grounds Harry tries to attack Snape with the cruciatus curse. The experienced dueler is able to deflect every spell the Boy-Who-Lived throws, but he does not attack Harry. Even though Snape is undoubtedly a strong wizard who could seriously harm or kill Harry, he does not, all the while the boy is calling him a coward for not fighting back; and then, even when Harry is disarmed he does not injure him. He even goes as far as to give Harry advice he will need to successfully finish his quest, “Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!” (HBP, 603). He also stops another Death Eater inflicting the Cruciatus on Harry.
Snape loses his cool completely when Harry yells, “Kill me like you killed him, you coward—“
“‘DON’T—‘ screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, a though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them—“CALL ME COWARD!” (HBP, 604).

Snape is not a coward. He was unconditionally loyal to Dumbledore; he did whatever Dumbledore told him to do. This statement particularly enraged him because he had just killed the only person that ever had trusted and loved him. Now, he knows, he is alone in the world. Snape can’t bear the thought that Dumbledore thought Severus’ life more important than the headmaster’s and that Snape had to kill someone he loved to help someone he hates (Harry). His reaction to killing Dumbledore can be paralleled to the description of Harry in Chapter 26, “The Cave”, when convincing Dumbledore to drink more of the potion. Harry is described as “hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing” (HBP, 571).

After reading this essay, I hope that students of the “Harry Potter” series will come to realize that Severus Snape is far from evil. Snape may not be a nice man but he has dedicated his life to the cause and to help Harry to triumph for the Light, whatever the cost to his personal happiness.

Works Cited

Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2000.

---. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2005.

---. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2003.

---. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1997.
Marianne
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree completely with you!
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Excellent job! Yes, I read all six pages. I'm looking forward to that being proven correct.

One does not need to be nice in order to be on the good side. It would be very difficult to kill the only person you know is in your corner, to give up your link to sactuary. It is easy to see why Severus would be furious at Harry for calling him a coward. He now has on one.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Very well stated and supported. I totally agree with everything you've said. I particularly liked how you pointed out that Harry is ALWAYS wrong about Snape. Interestingly, the same could be said of Snape toward Harry. I hope that you are right!
EnigmaVX
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I like your theory and would readily agree with it but…a poster on another forum is stating that Dumbledore would never under any circumstances condone the use of AK, I am awaiting citations to support this. In the meantime assuming this is true and having considered some other posts made I came up with the following theory to get around that and still have Snape as Dumbledore’s man.

After rereading HBP, and following various threads on the subject I am no longer in doubt about whose side Professor Snape is on, he is loyal to the Order.

A very careful reader (Subtle Science) of the books made an insightful and informative post about what Snape teaches in his potions class, it is all about healing and antidotes. I will not bother to repost this if you want to read it for your self here is the link: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=60356&page=22&pp=20 Not only does his teachings all involve healing but he is a healer, look at how he saved Draco. There are other examples of this if one reads closely.

As to his culpability that JK refereed to I now firmly believe that was something in his past and a slight red herring sent out to keep Snape ambiguous and to fuel the good vs. evil debate.

As to Spinner’s End lets just leave it at Snape was merely doing what spies do…the Unbreakable Vow well How important is the wording of it, what is the time period for an Unbreakable Vow? Does Draco only get the one final chance? He tried to kill Dumbledore twice during the year (the necklace and the wine) and failed both times with no lethal consequences to Snape.

After rereading the book I caught something that I had missed, Draco tells Dumbledore that Snape knew nothing about the plan to bring in the DE’s. PG 588 American Edition. As to the supposed stupefying of Flintwick, I refer you to page 619 American Edition. Hermione after hearing Harry’s tale jumps to that conclusion, a few pages later that seems confirmed when Flintwick is described as having a bruise. Never are we actually informed what occurred by Flintwick, he could have stumbled over something and knocked himself out, we don’t know…perhaps it was the Felix potion at work aiding the girls as one poster suggested.

What really happened on the tower? I have read a lot of posts that point out the supposed AK did not act upon Dumbledore like it did on all other victims. Perhaps there is something to this idea. Why didn’t Fawkes appear? He was not far off Draco ran into him on his way up…Also I ask you to recall that Draco noticed the second broom and that Dumbledore distracted him.

Snape knowing nothing about Draco’s plans involving the DE’s and the vanishing cabinets was in his study, Flintwick came running for help and out of sight of Hermione and Luna, tripped and knocked himself out, hence the bruise on his forehead. Snape alerted to danger sends the girls in to both aid Flintwick and keep them out of harms way. Snape makes a bee line for Dumbledore…his arrival on the tower is described as follows " "Draco stand aside so one of us can---" screeched the woman, but at that precise moment, the door to the ramparts burst open once more and there stood Snape, his wand clutched in his hand as his black eyes swept the scene, from Dumbledore slumped against the wall, to the four Deatheaters, including the enraged werewolf, and Malfroy." I would think Snape saw the second broom at this point and knew Harry was there. Next as one of the DE’s is speaking we hear another voice…Dumbledore, at this point we have all been debating the meaning of his last words. I ask what if we all missed another possible meaning?

What if Snape was planning on healing him or attempting to assuming he could get rid of the other DE’s. Dumbledore being a master legimans would have known Snape’s plan.

Why assume it was Dumbledore’s plan to die on the tower? Perhaps his plan was for Snape to help him extend his life so he could impart further information to Harry. But that, that initial plan flew out the window due to it being based around the assumption that only Draco was out to kill him? We know that he was in extremely bad shape on the tower, re all the descriptions in that chapter leading up to Snape's arrival. Personally I think his decision was made during this period in time and not prior, I suggest that when he weighed all the options and possible outcomes at that point in time and when Snape gazed into his eyes he asked Snape to not do what Snape was planning but to do something else, something perhaps even riskier than Snape’s plan.

Now as to that something was it for a quick death in order to save Harry from being discovered if he died before Snape could kill off all the DE’s assuming he could, we know that the freeze spell would expire upon is death. Was it that coupled with get them out before any students are killed? We know how seriously Dumbledore takes not only Harry’s safety but the safety of all his students. Was it to save Draco’s soul? Was it to maintain Snape’s cover? Was it to save Snape from the Vow? Was it perhaps all of these? Was it perhaps the move of a master chess player reevaluating an unexpected move by his opponent and choosing to sacrifice or pretend to sacrifice one powerful piece to save the whole game. Well this only holds up if Dumbledore would ever condone the use of AK.

Several people have pointed out that the AK did not seem to act like previous descriptions. If they are correct perhaps Dumbledore asked Snape to help create an illusion and Dumbledore simply died trying to do his part? Perhaps his expression when casting the supposed AK perhaps Snape’s face was filled with hatred and revulsion at being asked to risk Dumbledore’s life to save Harry. Further possible support for this scenario hinges on when Harry was able to move. In the book it is after Snape and Malfroy have already exited, note it even says AHEAD of the rest, then Greyback followed by the squat brother and sister vanish through the door… "…Harry realizes he can move again. What is holding him paralyzed against the wall was not magic, but horror and shock." When is it that the spell released him? Is there anyway to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was free the moment the supposed AK hit Dumbledore?

Last what if Snape didn’t know that Dumbledore had died tell the second time Harry called him a coward for "killing him" perhaps, since we know Snape was reading Harry’s mind, this is when Snape learns of Dumbledore’s death and is filled with pain and agony like Fang in the burning building.

Okay now fire away show me where this idea is weak.
Beulah_Page
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Apr 2005 Posts: 14 Location: Nebraska, United States
Hmmm, I like the idea of Dumbledore as a queen's sacrifice to save Harry. The most powerful piece to save the most important; if the king's down, the game's lost, and all that. I will be pondering the chess metaphor more now.
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Q: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
A: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.
-- Jesse Kornbluth and J.K. Rowling

Somehow I don't think that this is a comment on his fashion sense. Smile Let's face it, the man has no sense of style. Any thoughts?

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Lady Whitehart wrote:
Q: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
A: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.
-- Jesse Kornbluth and J.K. Rowling

Somehow I don't think that this is a comment on his fashion sense. Smile Let's face it, the man has no sense of style. Any thoughts?

It's not black, it has no buttons, it doesn't billow. Why on earth would he wear it? <ducks and runs>

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
If Severus has killed, has he split his soul? Can he have a few Horcruxes too? I mean, now he's killed Dumbles, he's split it at least once, as we can only assume about his past Death Eater activities. I just wonder if, in a hundred or so years, someone'll write some really bad sequels and suddenly a load of Horcruxes for him will pop up.

celeritas x x

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
celeritas wrote:
If Severus has killed, has he split his soul? Can he have a few Horcruxes too? I mean, now he's killed Dumbles, he's split it at least once, as we can only assume about his past Death Eater activities. I just wonder if, in a hundred or so years, someone'll write some really bad sequels and suddenly a load of Horcruxes for him will pop up.

From what I understood of the Horcruxes you do not split your soul every time you kill someone. If that were the case then Voldemort would likely have a lot more than seven Horcurxes. Slughorn did not seem to think that people had tried to split their soul into more than two pieces, which again points toward the idea that killing someone does not definitely mean that you will split your soul upon the act of killing.

A Horcrux is probably rather advanced dark magic, and requires some magic outside just the act of killing that we did not see Snape perform.
mouseII
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I tend to agree with the Princess of Mars (any relation to the Half-Blood Prince? a sister maybe? Very Happy). I think a murder is a necessary part of the magic that splits the soul and allows the creation of a horocrux, but that a murder alone probably doesn't do anything to a soul.
Verity Brown
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
mouseII wrote:
I tend to agree with the Princess of Mars (any relation to the Half-Blood Prince? a sister maybe? Very Happy). I think a murder is a necessary part of the magic that splits the soul and allows the creation of a horocrux, but that a murder alone probably doesn't do anything to a soul.

The way I understood it, murdering someone does split your soul, every time. But only by using the magic to make a Horcrux when the soul is being split, can you end up with detached pieces of soul outside your own body.

Verity

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Apr 2005 Posts: 14 Location: Nebraska, United States
I'm with Verity. I can't see how someone's soul could not be damaged by murdering. However, Voldemort's conscience is pretty much nonexistent, and he wouldn't really notice any damage done to his soul by murdering or using the dark magic inherent in creating a Horcrux.
Lady Rosesong
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thought: do you think the soul is split if you *strictly* are killing someone for the use of the horcrux? That was an impression I was left with, that when you murder a person (which is horrible enough) but when you a murder a person *in cold blood* for personal gain, such as a horcrux, that truly splits your soul.

Just a thought that struck me, however I can also see what Verity is saying, and that makes a lot of sense.

But all in all, I think Snape is one of the good guys. Good guys wear black too.[/quote]
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
If all making a Horcrux required was just killing someone in cold blood, there'd would be tons of people with horcruxes around. Given the lack of information on it and how reluctant Slughorn was to comment on it, I'm guessing it is a VERY dark, VERY difficult thing to do that normal wizards would not consider even if they knew about it.

Besides, McGonagall said that Dumbledore has all the same powers as Voldemort, he's just too noble to use them. Somehow I think horcrux-ing himself is one of those things Dumbledore would not do. He is too noble, and from the sound of it, not too worried about his death.

As for the turban, a.) purple is hardly an intimidating colour, and b.) it hides his hair, which would *completely* ruin the effect... Wink