Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Personae  ~  any predictions on Snape's redemption?

Would Snape survive Book 7?

yep!  
39%
  [ 25 ]  39%

nope!  
59%
  [ 38 ]  59%

who cares, i hate snape now.  
1%
  [ 1 ]  1%

Total Votes : 64
maryh
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I didn't vote, because the subject was "redemption" and the poll question was about death. I think it quite likely that Snape will die, although I still hold out the possibility that he won't.

The question on "redemption" is much more complicated. If the question means that Snape will be recognized as having been a "white hat", I think that he will be, at least by Harry. I am not sure that he will be seen that way by the Wizarding world in general.

If the question implies that Snape has done something for which he needs to be redeemed, I disagree. In that sense, I would say Snape will not be redeemed because he doesn't need to be. And I know that gives me a very minority opinion.

I believe that Snape joined the DE's in the first place because he had an arrangement with Dumbledore. I think that because of his relationship with Malfoy, he got an "invitation" to join the DE's, and I don't imagine you can turn down such an invitation and live. Dumbledore and Snape had a plan in case that happened, and Snape followed it.

What did Snape do for the DE's? I doubt he was on the front lines. It was probably potion related. But potions are also important in healing, and the DEs were making a lot of attacks. Assume Snape has an apprenticeship at St. Mungo's when the DE's make their "offer." I think his primary role would have been patching up injured DE's on the sly at St. Mungo's.

So yes, it is possible to imagine that Snape could have been a DE without participating in any killing or torture himself.

But why would I think that in the first place? Snape has a Muggle father, which gives him a very good reason not to sympathise with the DE's. I think the memory about the hook-nosed man was a red herring from JKR to distract us from this fact. Yes, I think the man probably was Snape's father, but no, I don't think it implies a childhood of abuse or hatred of the man. Parents yell at each other sometimes, and if a small child happens to be there, he will cry.

When you stop and think about it, JKR has to give us some reason that Snape would have hated his father, or it would have been perfectly obvious, once we found out Snape's father was a Muggle, that Snape would never have been even tempted to join the DE's.

By the way, that is also a big hint that Slytherin isn't just about pureblood, and that the current obsession may be a fairly recent development, dating from the influence of a certain Tom Riddle, maybe? It's not Snape that needs to be redeemed, so much as Slytherin House. I think we'll find out that Salazar Slytherin's original aversion to muggle-borns and half-bloods was that he thought, not completely without ground, that they were dangerous to the school. I don't think JKR can leave us with a whole House at Hogwarts that is based on bloodline prejudice. Slytherin House either needs to be redeemed or dismantled.

As for the Astronomy tower, I don't have anything to add to that. There are loads of theories that can handle that, some of which have been mentioned here.
wonga
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote
I have to say I've always been of the opinion that Snape was/is a dead man, and if he wasn't at the beginning he is now. I'm not saying I like the thought, but...

As to his redemption, I'm not sure he'll be redeemed as such. Perhaps he is not evil but, he's certainly not good (like I said in another post, 'chaotic neutral,' maybe?)

I think Snape is living up to Slytherin expectations and does what he does for the sake of self, if that means helping Harry, then so be it.

Of course from this line of thinking; Snape is doing whatever he can in self-interest, then he will not be dying an 'honourable' death like sacrificing himself.

To be honest I don't think Snape is the kind of person to self sacrifice. If he is good and does help Harry, it won't be through tossing himself in front of a curse meant for Harry. Perhaps a little shove here, a poke there but nothing direct.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Leading my Spork Army to World Domination
I think making Snape end up Pure Evil is far too predictable. JKR has set him up to be hated since book 1. And as far as I can tell, she's shocked that there are people like us who LOVE Snape.

But on the other hand, making him Sacrifical!Redeemed!Snape seems way too OOC. Snape doesn't seem like the type to jump in front of an AK to save the son of Hated James Potter, even if it will save the world. That's more something Ron (or even Remus) would do.

I don't think it'll be a EvilSnape vs. GoodSnape thing in the end. I think we'll either be left wondering exactly where his loyalties lay...like, maybe he dies, but he dies as a DE...but his death just happens to allow for Voldemort's defeat. Or something. So Harry will still hate him (their animosity runs so deep, I don't think Harry would ever trust Snape, even if Dumbledore came back to life and did a Happy Dance on the Gryffindor table) but, at least he won't die Evil. If JKR makes him EVIL!!!Snape, I will be extremely disappointed.

That said, I do think Snape will die. Sad
Pennfana
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Snape is one of those characters who are too complicated to be called entirely good or entirely evil. My thought is that Snape is doing (for lack of a better term) the "Slytherin thing" and acting in his own self-interest; he'll align himself with whichever group he thinks will best benefit him. If that means killing Dumbledore to save his own life (thanks to that Unbreakable Vow) and then somehow weasling his way back into the Order of the Phoenix, staying firmly on the side of the Death Eaters or perhaps taking a third option which hasn't occurred to anyone but JKR, then that's what he'll do.

That said, I still think that he'll die in Book 7. He's gotten himelf in so deep that it'll be difficult for him to extricate himself, if it's even possible anymore.