Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Personae  ~  any predictions on Snape's redemption?

Would Snape survive Book 7?

yep!  
39%
  [ 25 ]  39%

nope!  
59%
  [ 38 ]  59%

who cares, i hate snape now.  
1%
  [ 1 ]  1%

Total Votes : 64
Lillithowl
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Add me to the list hoping for Redeemed!Snape. However after reading JKR's interview it seems not so likely.

That disappoints me greatly, but at least I have time to steel myself for Book 7.
bracken
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to believe that Snape is so black and white evil. I do think that he can be an absolutely horrible person (as JKR) has said, yet still "do the right thing" in the end. I think that Snape has his own, very personal reasons, for opposing Voldemort, and there are some very good theories out there as to what these might be. I don't think that he will survive book 7. I think that his death will be necessary payment for his past deeds, but will be also be crucial to the final outcome of the book. I also think that it will be necessary for Harry to see Snape in a different light--he started down that path in OOTP (pensieve) and continued in HBP (potions book). Harry and Snape have always saw characatures of each other and not the real person. They were both blinded by who they thought the other was, and didn't get past that. I think that it will be necessary for them to do so in the final book. I think Harry will need Snape's help to defeat Voldemort.
That being said, I'm still reeling from HBP. Never thought he'd do that! (Which goes to prove that predicting what JKR will do next is always risky!--but fun.)
Marianne
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Well I wouldn't call it fun. The HBP was quite a shock for me and I am recovering now. My comfort are the fanfics. Wink But nevertheless it is true that you cannot predict what she will do next. It is not only that I love the character Snape but I would also be disappointed if someone who is so much the cliché of an evil person (ugly, clad in black, mean) would really turn out to be that monster who has lied from the beginning. He would be worse than Voldemort.
GrownUpRon
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
In JKR's interview where she says Snape has been loved she also says that makes him more culpable than Voldemort. Now culpable means guilty and worthy of punishment.

So he may not have gone over to Voldemort at the end of book six but I think we can easily say now that he has done some truely horriffic things.
Verity Brown
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
GrownUpRon wrote:
So he may not have gone over to Voldemort at the end of book six but I think we can easily say now that he has done some truely horriffic things.

I have never doubted (even pre-HBP) that Snape had done (and is probably still capable of doing) terrible things. He was a Death Eater in Voldemort's heyday. How could he not have done terrible things? One of my pet peeves about most Snape fics is that they have a tendency to gloss over his past, as if somehow it doesn't matter.

I firmly believe that Snape could do the things he does in HBP and still be a white hat. The most traumatic aspect of HBP, for me, is that it's not clear (to the reader, if not to Harry) that he's a white hat. In fact, nothing would prevent Rowling from making him not a white hat, in the end. That's the trauma--that possibility. But I personally don't see any inconsistency between the Snape-the-Order's-spy that we've seen up until now and Snape's actions (if he is still the Order's spy) in HBP.

Verity

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:

I firmly believe that Snape could do the things he does in HBP and still be a white hat. The most traumatic aspect of HBP, for me, is that it's not clear (to the reader, if not to Harry) that he's a white hat. In fact, nothing would prevent Rowling from making him not a white hat, in the end. That's the trauma--that possibility. But I personally don't see any inconsistency between the Snape-the-Order's-spy that we've seen up until now and Snape's actions (if he is still the Order's spy) in HBP.

The one thing I am completely certain of is that Snape will have an important role to play in the final defeat of Voldemort. It would really really annoy me if he did turn out to be evil through and through the whole time - and the reason we need him is to be Gollum and do something inadvertently crucial at the very last and then die in the process. Yuk.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
Okay, totally bumping. I love Snape, love his character, and have always believed him to be on the side of the light. This newest book has made me think, and think, and think. What if, just what if, they hadn't planned for Snape to kill Dumbledore? What if they didn't really know what Malfoy was supposed to do? What if, in that moment where Snape strides to Dumbledore and then stares down at him, his look of revulsion is because he is using legilimency on Dumbledore, and he is disgusted and repulsed not by Dumbledore, but by himself. What if he made the same promise to Dumbledore that Harry did, that he would do whatever Dumbledore asked him. And what if, in Dumbledore's mind, communicating silently, he asks Snape to kill him. And what if Snape is disgusted and repulsed by the fact that he will?

Just my thoughts...

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
Fraggle Grrrrrrl wrote:
What if he made the same promise to Dumbledore that Harry did, that he would do whatever Dumbledore asked him.

That's certainly my view. There's far too much resemblance between Harry's reaction when he has to give Dumbledore the potion and Snape's reaction up on the tower--take a look if you doubt it. Besides, it would be so useful, thematically, to have both Harry and Snape operating under that pledge.

Verity

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
Fraggle Grrrrrrl wrote:
What if he made the same promise to Dumbledore that Harry did, that he would do whatever Dumbledore asked him.

I agree with this premise also. I don't think there was another Unbreakable Vow hanging over Snape's head, and I don't think that either he nor Dumbledore actually knew for sure what Draco's task was. Hence the argument that Hagrid overheard between the two.

It's very sad for me to join the "Snape won't survive Book 7" camp, but that is the only logical outcome of what has been set up in HBP. Snape will do whatever he has to do to see his task finished; I agree that he will probably die assisting Harry and his death will occur because Harry doesn't truly understand Snape's roll in all of this. Only this time it won't be senseless like Sirius Black's demise; and in death - redemption for Snape.

I feel that Snape will finally "grow up" now that his mentor no longer exists; his safe-haven (Hogwart's) is gone. He no longer has the luxury of holding onto/indulging in outdated grudges if he is going to succeed. This was evident in his actions towards Harry at the end of HBP - he could have done a lot of petty/ evil things. Instead, even in anger, he spent the time giving Harry instructions while protecting Harry and Hogwarts by forcing the invading Death Eaters to depart.

Of course, I didn't see it this way on a first reading, but after I finished emoting and started looking at what was actually said, this is what I was left with. Folks like to point out that Snape just HAS to be a traitor because he's a nasty, mean, sarcastic, vindictive git with an evil past. Personally, I think this just makes him the best man for the job that Dumbledore needed done . All the good guys can't be cool, likeable, and nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sani
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
I still belive that Snape is on the good side. There is too many facts that are stated in the books to have Snape turn out evil. Just to point one out is the fact that DD tells Harry that he would have died from the ring if had not been for Snape's quick thinking. If Snape was truly evil and on Voldy's side then why not just let DD die right there. It would ensure Voldermort victory. I still support the Snape is not evil camp, but I cannot yet agree that he will die in book 7. It just does not seem fair, that if he is proven good, to die. It will be like he is still being punished for making a stupid mistake when he was young. I would think that he would be given a chance to live a normal life, without servitude to either Masters. I still hope that she will not kill him, (and I know she is enjoying our debates about Snape), and whatever the outcome I still think he is the most brilliant character.

I still belive Dumbledore, and his complete trust in Severus.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A friend got me thinking again about Snape's supposed "stunning" of Flitwick. (At no point, however, does Flitwick confirm this.) And it occurred to me: if Snape were really evil, why would he merely stun Flitwick? At that point he knew the DEs were in the castle. Unless he knew in advance that he was going to be doing something that would force him to leave Hogwarts, why would he do something so foolish as to attack another teacher (which would make it very hard for him to continue in his role as Voldie's spy)? And if an evil Snape did know he was leaving Hogwarts, why not just kill Flitwick, and diminish the future strength of the "enemy"? Also, if he had decided to show his "true DE colors" at that point, why would he not have done what he could to help the DEs on his way up to the tower? The only person whom Snape seems to have even attempted to kill is Dumbledore. Rather different from the behavior of the other DEs.

Verity

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I do think that Snape is a good guy. The big theme of my debate on his behalf was "When the Good Guys Wear Black Hats." I do think that Harry's stubbornness, particularlly with Snape is going to cause problems. Until he matures a little a bit, he won't be able to 'shut his mouth and close his mind,' as he's been advised to do by Snape.

I think something Harry does (probably something idiotic) will lead Snape to sacrifice himself. I can see Harry in the "final battle" with a flank left unguarded. I think Bella is going to kill Snape, but he's going to take her and a lot of other Death Eaters (please kill Pettigrew) in the process.

mouseII
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
And if an evil Snape did know he was leaving Hogwarts, why not just kill Flitwick, and diminish the future strength of the "enemy"?

For that matter, why not kill Luna and Ginny on the way by, given that Snape ran right into them after stunning Flitwick? And why stop the other Death Eaters from Crucioing Harry? Perhaps Voldemort did say that no one was to kill Harry except him, but I doubt he said that no one could torture Harry except him. Plus, when Snape is blocking Harry's spells at the end, isn't it just like he's giving the kid one last lesson, one last chance to learn what it's going to take to defeat Voldemort? That wasn't a typical fight scene. Snape was only blocking Harry, and given what a vindictive man Snape is, don't you think it unusual that he didn't take the opportunity to hurt Harry a little, after finally being handed the perfect opportunity to do so?

Snape got through the castle, up to the tower, back down and out of Hogwarts, all in the midst of a heated battle, and he only killed one person. He hurt no one (assuming AK doesn't hurt). He also arguably saved the lives of two people while he was at it, Draco and Harry.

There was more going on in that Astronomy Tower scene than JKR let us see. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
He's not really evil, I swear! *rocks back and forward* It's alll a cruel joke...

But I seriously think there is more to it then how JK left us hanging... I mean, she usually turns things around and I doubt she'd kill him off. *crosses fingers* And plus, the person above makes a really good point. Is he were really an evil person, why not kill them all - break the golden trio by offing Hermione? Why wouldn't he just give a little flick of his wrist and end trouble before it started?

Why, I ask, WHY?

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
Kid: "Why is Snape evil?"

JK Rowling: "There is a big difference between being evil and being merely unpleasant."

I am of the belief that Snape is still on the right side. I couldn't help but notice the massive clues that absolutely littered the pages of Half Blood Prince. Being one of those obsessive fans who takes the world of fandom to another level completely, I went through just about every source I could find on Severus Snape. I came out with two facts that were clear in my head:

Severus Snape is NOT evil
-and-
Severus Snape had to kill the only man that ever trusted him