Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Where were you when.... ?

cassiopeia77
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of HPSS when it was first published, but didn't read ituntil about three years ago working midnights. My son was born right after the book came out and I didn't have much time as a single, working parent to read books at all. Plowed through the first four in about 3 months. I bought OOTP when it first came out, read half of it, and couldn't finish because I went back to school, parenting, etc. I picked it up about a month and a half ago, figuring I should read it from the start, since HBP was coming out soon. I pre-ordered it through Amazon and waited on my front porch, practically attacked the mailman, and finished it in a day and a half. I just started reading HPSS to my son Smile
liquidscissors
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:35 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
... You first got interested in HP?
About two years ago. I got nagged into reading the books after the release of OotP, thought they sucked, then re-read a couple of them later when I had nothing else available. They've grown on me, even if I still haven't re-read them beyond canon-checking purposes since then.

... Order of the Pheonix came out?
At uni, wondering what all the dicks in cloaks were doing clogging up the bookstore, and why couldn't they stick to playing Magic: the Gathering in their garage with all the other warlocks.
Dark_Thoughts
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2006 Posts: 11 Location: I'm still trying to figure that out...
Hi, this is my first post here.

I was a junior in hight school when I first read books 1-4. I'd grown tired of listening to other people go on about it, good and bad. I decided I'd read it and finally make up my own mind on whether I liked it or not. It didn't take me long to finish the books because I couldn't put them down.

I had recently graduated from high school when OotP came out and I remeber being miserable that day because I couldn't get it right then, don't remember why, though. I checked it out of the public library soon after. Like with the other books I finished it quickly, unlike HBP, which took me forever to get my hands on and when I did it was as a CD instead of book form. I found that I didn't like being read to, so, I bought the book too.

Last edited by Dark_Thoughts on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Snapette82
Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I was in Secondary school when it first came out and we had a paper back copy in the library of Philospher's Stone. I've bought them all brand new in hard back since the release of Chamber of Secrets. Sad? My friends thought so, you ladies would disagree I'm sure!

OotP? Dragging some friends to WH Smiths after the pub and having all the parents glaring at me as I was a little tipsy. I was no doubt corrupting their children. I was not drunk though and the next day I was whining at my Harry reading friends that they should bloody hurry up and finish it so that I could discuss it with them. I had yet to discover sites such as this.

Kxx
Ariadne
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PS was first published in Germany in 1998 and one of my best friends got it as a Christmas present. She came from the holidays and said: "I have read this wonderful book about wizards and witches and we are going to make a film out of it. You will be Norbert, a baby dragon, and one of the twins (George), 'cause they are really funny (and we don't have enough boys). They hex snowballs to attac their teachers." Laughing 'Ooookay,' was all I thought.
My friend's copy of PS though wandered through the hands of all our classmates, so after a few weeks I lost my patience and bought my own version...
The film never saw the light of day, obviously, but just planning and discussing who would get which part or whether our parents were allowed to take part (as Hagrid and Dumbledore) was such a great fun - to be eleven once again...

GOF was the first HP I read first in the original, then in German (because I just couldn't wait some months longer), and by the time OotP came out, I had reached the counting days and preordering phase. So I went to the bookstore, as soon as it had opened at 9 a.m. and spent the next three days reading.
Rocker Chick 82
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Apr 2006 Posts: 19 Location: Ohio, United States
Where was I when OOTP came out: I was in Maryland on vacation and I had gone with my cousin to do some shopping and I bought then. I read it in 12 hours.

When did I first get hooked on Harry Potter: In 2002. My dad took us on vacation and he had bought it about a week before after reading an excerpt from it in a magazine. I too admit I thought it was a children's book and wasn't interested in reading it, but then I had nothing to read on vacation so I was bored and I read it in 4 hours, and have been hooked ever since.
shorea
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
First interested in HP: I went to spend the summer before my freshman year (high school) at my dad's, and found the first three books sitting on my bed when I arrived. (PoA was the newest at that point) I didn't want to read them because my dad recommened them and I was in a rebeling without actually causing trouble phase, but I was bored, they were beautiful hardbacks and dad swore there were kids in London skipping school to buy them. I remember reading the first chapter of SS, thinking "this is stupid", then starting chapter 2 and losing all cognitive thought beyond "must keep reading" until I'd finished all three books.

When OotP came out: First in line at our Walmart. I arrived at 11:30 and sat on the bench in front of the book department. There were no signs or anything, but a manager had assured me that they had a shipment in back. By midnight there were about 15 of us, and at 12:10 we attacked the closest employee, demanding that they bring us our books! it was 12:30 before they finally brought them, but it was worth the wait.
Mimmy
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
first interested in HP: believe it or not is was my dear old mum who bought the books when i was 16 or so. It was HP that resulted in my own private "library". I never liked reading before that.

when the Order of the phoenix was published: I must admit I raced to the bookstore that morning. SO a bookstore in central London, that's where I was when OotP came out.
Sally Smarty Pants
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote
OotP came out: I was waiting patiently at home for the postman to come (on saturday! no less) to recieve my pre-ordered copy. then i devoured it, until my mom warned me to slow down, so i could appreciate it more.

HP: i was 15 and my dad took me to the movies for my birthday, and i finally gave in to pressure and saw PS, then i went and bought the first 3 books and gobbled them down.

i had actually heard of the series earlier though, but in my typical stubborn fashion, i ignored people's rave reviews and thought "i'm not getting on the bloody bandwagon, thanks very much", and happily proceded to read anything but that....now i love the series. go figure Razz