Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Breeding

Pace
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder: in the first chapter, J.K. mentions an unnatural mist over London which Fudge explains as the dementors breeding. It seems odd to me that this mist seems to avoid Hogwarts and Hogsmeade - if it would have been there, wouldn't Dumbledore, Harry or Hermione have mentioned it at one point? I mean mist around the year? That's odd, even for a clichéd weather report of GB.

Shouldn't there be more about this with the dementors being what they are? (And whatever happened to the Prime Minister guarded by Shacklebolt?)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Harry mention the atmosphere and weather in Hogsmeade being rather dismal?

Otherwise, it might be possible that Azkaban is closer to London than Hogwarts, and the mist is a result of their breeding. I'm thinking that even though they may not necessarily guard Azkaban anymore, it's still sort of their base, maybe.

And I can see Hogwarts having protection from all Dementor-related issues. If the mist had sustained for a while, I'm sure Dumbledore got rid of it during the summer.
Iseult
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 Posts: 20 Location: Newcastle, Australia
According to Fudge in Ch 1 - Azkaban is in the middle of the North Sea. I think the mist is in the Muggle areas because the Dementors are using Muggle emotions to feed.
Normally, due to the Ministry of Magic agreement with the Dementors they would only feed of the prison inmates. We can assume that they have sided with Voldemort or are taking advantage of the Ministry's reduced control and are roaming free.
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree... I think the population of Hogwarts is not concentrated enough for the Dementors to register it when they can go to a city like London, Glasgow, anywhere else with a larger concentration of emotion to feed on.

That, and Muggles don't know how to cast Patronus'.

Pace
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
Still the 'uncontrolled' breeding of dementors (whom Voldemort has depicted his 'natural allies' once) is problematic, even IF it occurs only around muggle settlements. If the dementors did turn their back on the Ministry of Magic (I refuse to call it 'mom'), shouldn't then there be at least an attempt to stop them from it? If the ministry knows they are breeding they probably know where and how. Yet it is also never mentioned that the ministry is taking steps to reduce the dementor population.

This is going to cause trouble, I tell you.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:09 am Reply with quote
And is it possible to kill a dementor? And how do they breed? Ewwww...
Diana
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:50 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Quote:
(And whatever happened to the Prime Minister guarded by Shacklebolt?)

He was removed from office in late spring (sixth year) when Blair and the New Labour majority took over parliament.

And I agree, the dementors are going to be trouble I think. Why would JKR spend so much time on Harry's fear of them in book three, and again in subsequent books, although to a less degree, only to make mention of them turning toward Voldemort in book six and then drop it in book seven? Trouble with a capital T.

azazello
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
A definite foreshadowing of something in book 7. I have a very bad feeling about this...

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
liquidscissors
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:30 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Hot Uncle Vernon-on-Dementor action? One can only hope.
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That's nasty, as in really disgusting, liquidscissors. I think I'm going to be sick, as soon as I stop laughing. Shocked