Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  We're taking on water! The ships, they are a-sinking...

If your ship did not survive the canon-blasting, will you continue to write/read it?

Yes! It's fiction, so we're all AU anyway. I'm going down with the ship.  
63%
  [ 42 ]  63%

Yes. It's going to require some work, but I think we can keep it afloat. Grab a bucket and start bailing!  
34%
  [ 23 ]  34%

No. Every fan for herself! I'm jumping ship to a newer model.  
1%
  [ 1 ]  1%

Total Votes : 66
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
That's the whole point of fanfiction --- to play with Jo's toys. We get to do whatever we want with them. As long as we put them back in their proper places neatly and unharmed.

Some people do follow canon, other's try and some say "canon what canon?"

It's just for our sheer enjoyment and a great way to meet some really interesting people on-line.

I personally have made some really wonderful connections with people I would probably have never met otherwise.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
If fanfic is not canon based, then it's not fanfic, just merely a bit of plagiarism, and an insult to the author whose canon universe it it.

Fan derives from the word fanatic, and a true fan works with the universe as given and the best fanfic authors take pains to make their work canon compliant. I do not wish to read silly stories where the engaging character of Severus Snape as depicted in the canon books - warts and all - is rendered into some soppy romantic hero, and where the character of Hermione Granger, loyal, brave and studious is rendered into some dimwitted airhead as she is in an awful lot of SS/HG stories lately.

I do not think the old catch-all of "oh, well, it's fanfic we are just playing" is good enough. If "writers" are just playing, they can make their own characters up and play with them. A good few writers who take that stance are simply taking advantage of a given audience to get their egos stroked, because they know their work as original fiction would not cut the mustard.

I'm not interested in reading something that is an amateur author "just playing" because I want to use my leisure time reading good stuff. If a fanfic writer is too lazy to pay attention to the canon, I'm certainly too lazy to read their fics.

The "fanfic anything goes" excuse is up there with the "well all fanfic is by implication AU" and I've never heard it from a serious and quality fanfic author yet. AU is a very definite genre and not merely an excuse for sloppy research.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
One day many of us will move on to writing our own original material, and we will either cringe or applaud that fanfic using our characters. Rolling Eyes