Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  We're taking on water! The ships, they are a-sinking...

If your ship did not survive the canon-blasting, will you continue to write/read it?

Yes! It's fiction, so we're all AU anyway. I'm going down with the ship.  
63%
  [ 42 ]  63%

Yes. It's going to require some work, but I think we can keep it afloat. Grab a bucket and start bailing!  
34%
  [ 23 ]  34%

No. Every fan for herself! I'm jumping ship to a newer model.  
1%
  [ 1 ]  1%

Total Votes : 66
Wolf Moonshadow
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2004 Posts: 12 Location: A state of delusion (Florida)
I posted this on WIKTT a bit ago, but I think it also fits in here as well.

~~~

The Snape/Hermione pairing has been around since just before GoF, and
has been going strong ever since. As this pairing has *always* been
AU, (now really, did you ever actually expect JKR have Snape shagging
Hermione during a detention? {even if it is a most satisfying image})
I do not see this book as wrecking the `ship at all. Please
consider: there have been far too many ideas that have become
clichéd and just down right over used in the past few years. Why
not look at this as a challenge and whole new direction in which we
can take our favorite couple? What this book does is force us to come
up with entirely new and different plot ideas. I am actually looking
forward to seeing what crops up over the next few months.

I do not mean this as a call to abandon current WIPs. I fully intend
to keep reading the stories I have been, and look forward to them
being continued. As I said before, this couple has always been AU, so
please don't quit your current fics! I think there is still a
big audience for them.

~Wolf

JackieJLH
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not as worried about the SS/HG pairing in general, as all of the wonderful fics that are currently WIP's. There are many that I love reading, and I'm hoping that the new canon won't cause the authors to stop writing them. Obviously, we won't be seeing many new ones like them, but I hope these ones are finished.

Thought I doubt it will be an easy thing to do...I was thinking about my own fic, and what will become of it, and I have to admit that I've seriously contemplated just pulling it from the site a few times, just because it so completely canon shafted. It's HG/SS at Hogwarts, spanning Hermione's sixth and seventh year...yeah, even if it was ANY other pairing, canon has now filled up their sixth year, so any story taking place during or after that point is no longer remotely accurate.

But I think I'm going to try and continue, if only for my own sanity...should be interesting, trying to write scenes with Dumbledore, and everything set at Hogwarts, without either confusing myself or getting annoyed with my own story... sigh.

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Iseult
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 Posts: 20 Location: Newcastle, Australia
The majority of fics that I like tend to have an older Hermione (many of these teamed her up with Ron in their 6th and 7th years) who is now interested in Snape. So it is not impossible but difficult. Snape is not likely to be a cute fluffy bunny type. IF he survives book he is going to be a miserable, nasty, murdering Death Eater who is most likely in Azkaban (unless he recieves a pardon). He will likely have very few friends and lots of enemies. He may well be traumatised by all he has seen and done. He may well not like himself and alienate other people.
HBP Snape will be difficult to write - at his best he will be a morally complex character who is magically brilliant and a nasty temperement. We know more about Snape's background now and his abilities. There is less room for palatial emperor Snape, Vampire Snape (though not deliberately denounced) and more scope for cunning, manipulative Snape. There is some potential for some brilliant fan fic and I have read numerous fics that have not had "good" Snape that are convincing.
In my opinion, Hermione is magically gifted, studious and intelligent. Book 7 is going to be all out war and she is likely to have to make some difficult decisions - it is possible that she will have to kill someone.

I haven't seen reams of 'Evil' Neville fics - Neville who in OOTP deliberatley stuck a wand through someone's eye - an up close and poersonal act. We (gernally) say that Neville was brave and couageous- because we aware of the circumstances of the Ministry attack and that he was defending Harry.
We don't know these things about Snape yet and now Dumbledore is dead we may only get a partial explanation for Snape actions and motivations. He may not be innocent but that does not mean he is so horrible that Hermione cannot be interested.
Most people who participate in wars get their hands dirty - this is likely to happen to the trio. Neville and Harry may have a difficult time in refraining from killing Bellatrix. The Weasely's have some sort of motives with most of the Malfoys and Hermione and Ginny are willing to risk their lives for Harry so they may go furhter in hurting others than we currently believe.
So I look forward to morally complex Snape who hails from Spinner's End and is a half blood. I am sure there are many talented fic writers who are up for the task - otherwise we can go totally AU like Sirius fangirls. The plotlines are running through my head - I might just have to write one.[/quote]
ashley_mc_3
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
The majority of peoples fics are so far from canon that it isn't funny, and there is nothing wrong with this.

JK's book is that, hers, she has lent us her characters to play with and I dont see why people can't just keep on playing.

I personally believe that fic writers for HG/SS are better off ignoring HBP and that they should continue to write as they always have because there is no way in any alternate universe that Hermione is going to forgive Snape for that little atrocity.

At the same time I don't see this as the end of Ashwinder or similar sites because the authors on these sites should be using their own imagination and story lines, not the ones handed to them by JK.
dryade
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I've just discovered the first story set after the HBP. It's not on Sycophant (as they've got new rules) but I'll post the link anyway:

http://adultfan.nexcess.net/aff/story.php?no=544191709

I hope there'll be a lot more authors that won't turn their backs on HGSS-fics.

dryade
Razzberry
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
QIK: If you get this far, note my tongue in cheek response: the tables have been turned for once Wink

Estrilda: I was thinking very much the same thing about the trio returning to Hogwarts. Aside from which, I think it's highly likely that:

1. If one were looking for Gryffindor artefacts, the Sorting Hat might be an interesting place to begin. You know, really, as I was reading those Horcrux scenes, I couldn't help but think of 'National Treasure'-- anyone else see that movie? </random> The sorting hat is one of my three votes for the remaining Horcruxes, and it certainly scrapes in before Nagini.

2. One of the most obvious places to look for any Horcrux (or anything else one might be looking for) is the Room of Requirement. Aside from which, Dumbledore said that Hogwarts is a place that means something to Voldemort.

3. One of the most helpful sources of information about Horcruxes and Voldemort would probably be Dumbledore's office. Wonder what other sorts of bottled thoughts he's got floating around in his office (like, maybe why he trusted Snape to begin with?)

4. Where better to be doing research than the Hogwarts Library? Not to mention the fact that the Order members could, you know, help.

Somehow, I think we'll see the kids at Hogwarts again, maybe not full time (NEWT studies... field work?) But I think they'll be back.
blah_blah_blah
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Razzberry wrote:
Let's face it-- the Fandom Fleet took some big hits from that canon. Anyone who wrote stories involving Lupin, Tonks, Hermione, Ron, Harry, Bill, Fleur or Ginny and who did not write the following four pairings: RWHG, HPGW, RLNT, BWFD has, realistically, had their ship blasted by canon.

Anyone who wrote Snape romantically has had a severe canon-blasting.

What's more, anyone who was writing seventh-year fics seems to have had the wind knocked out of their sails as well.

So, in light of all this, what do you intend to do?

As for me, I've been dabbling in everything for the past year. I have Snupin, SSHG, Snape/OFC, Lupin/OFC, and faculty fic that have all sustained various amounts of damage, and the bad thing is, all five are WiPs! I'm still tackling the questions of which ones to finish (combination of how AU they've become, how interested the muse is in them, and how far from finished they are)

New fics, though...

I see myself turning from Snape to Lupin for a romantic male lead (with or without Tonks Wink) and the Gen-fic bug is biting hard.

What about the rest of you?

Razzberry, it is really gonna suck if you discontinue your stories! I am so depressed by this turn in Snape...I almost don't want to continue reading fan fiction for awhile but you have such good stories. Please don't dump them!
Delirium
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Don't give up! I know some of us have interesting things in the works!
Moyra
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I´m not an author, only a reader - but I do really hope that you will continue your wonderful writing, WIPs and new ones, especially in the HG/SS-ship, it´s my favorite one.

As many have stated, it has always been an AU-ship (by the way, can anyone please tell me, what exactly AU means? I´m only guessing...), and it is one of the biggest ships here - why should that change?

As I said in another topic (My why-Snape-is-not-evil-theory), I don´t see him as horrible and terrific as many do, because he had to kill DD.
On the contrary, I find him the least mean, hateful, etc. of the whole books, we learn a totally other side of him in the Spinner´s-End-chap.

Actually, there are more possibilities to paint him as ever ... Wink
sani
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I am new to this site but I love SS/HG shipping. I love all of the stories that I have read so far and I hope the authors will continue to write them.

Moyra-AU means Alternate Universe Very Happy

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I have no intention of ever writing SS/HG again, but that is also because when I finished a long work called "But You Alone" earlier this year, I really had done the pairing. I've got two novel lengths, and several shorts under my belt in that pairing, and I do not feel I owe anyone.

And BYA won a lot of praise and plaudits. Which was nice. But that damn story was exhausting, it took eighteen months from inception to end.

I'm more interested these days in rarepairs, which thanks to Hurricane Jo, look even more attractive.

I also did "serious" fanfic in BYA, a novel of 356,000 words. Enough. I fancy shorter stuff. For fun.

Here's the planned stuff. I recently wrote a totally nutzoid crossover, called Sith Happens, which had subtle slash betwen Palpatine (er, before his little run in with Mace Windu, in case you've seen the movie) and Snape. That was a bizarre idea which even my best mates said I could not do, well, I did, without parody. Now that is the only story I have not completely "jossed" and I intend to make it canon compliant. When I finish my canon theorising.

That fic had two backstories which are intriguing:

A pairing between Snape and Rosier (that mysterious lad who hexed part of Moody's nose off, and who gets a passing mention in GOF. By the way, I think his dad got a passing mention in HBP).

Palpatine's own Star Wars backstory.

The other story that screams at me from HBP is the rest of the Snape story. There's a monster hint that he had an unhealthy yen for Lily (all that swotting of potions, and the hints of obsessive love, plus JKR's comment, "Who would want Snape in love with them?" and I've always believed Severus had a thing for Lily. JKR went coyer than a school girl when interviewer Jeremy Paxman suggested SS/LE, so I am in good company). In addition, over on HPFGU, there is a wonderful theory called the "Tew Eew to be trew" theory which posits that Voldemort tried to save Lily as a prize for Snape. I love that theory, and used it obliquely as a lie in BYA, but want to use it explicitly now.

So there is plenty stuff to go on with. I said on Sunday, still reeling with the new canon that we needed to see it as an opportunity, and not a threat.

I think romantic Snape fic was getting a bit samey. There's a lot of cliche in SS/HG these days. Same ole, same ole. Now, I know there are those who like that, but me, I like variety, and so I'm hoping some good witers pick up the HBP ball and run like hell with it.

For my part, I'm jumping ship, but then I was always intending to.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
aphrodeia
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
I've got three HG/SS ficlets that have been canon-shafted, and they'll stay that way. Very Happy I'm also in the middle of an HG/SS WIP that is absolutely not HBP-compliant, and I will not be changing it to make it fit.

Apart from that, I'm growing weary of the HG/SS ship. I've been reading lots of HP slash - anything with Lupin, actually - and that's been a lovely change. I'm also REALLY into the Good Omens fandom and have been seeking out Aziraphale/Crowley stuff. I can't get enough of it. I doubt I'll ever write it, but I love to read it.

So I suppose I'm also jumping ship, but again, I think my time here was drawing to a close. If I write anything else with Snape, it'll probably simply be Snape-centric and not necessarily involve a love interest. (I have one or two ideas that may or may not turn into anything. We'll see!)
Lady Whitehart
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE STAND BY FOR SHAMELESS PLUG Razz

I fully intend to complete my WIP, Shadow on My Heart, even if HBP canon has blow it all to heck and back. I also have another story up my sleeve. I do my stories for the sheer enjoyment of it, OK and the reviews help.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
random plug: go read LW's story, it's not bad.. Smile

Razz

anyways, i have to admit that reading most SS/HG stories in ashwinder after HBP.... they all taste crappy... i guess in the past we've read them in the hope that since most fo the stories occur after the 7th year, it COULD happen.. or that dumblodore might be okay wiht it... but now, rereading a story which had dumbledore matchmaking is just... i dunno.. blah. there;s no more hope...

i'm not jumping ship, at least not yet, but i'm not sticking as tight either.

i'm not saying that i don't like the whole SS/HG pairing, i think it's still nice and kinkily attractive Shocked , just the stories have lost their luster.

sorry.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Does Fanfic HAVE to be canon, though? Or adjusted to canon? I don't know about yhou guys, but I read the actual books for canon, I read fanfic for fantasy. HBP in no way ruined fanfic for me.... I mean SS/HG were never really going to canon anyway were they? HBP does not detract from my reading of any Snape fanfic.... I just love him in any form, canon, fannon, movie, ...