Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  The viciousness of Snape-detractors

Verity Brown
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else struck by just how vicious the rejoicing of the Snape-detractors is? Some of these "ha ha, that for you, stupid Snape-lover!" posts have been profoundly cruel. How sad.

Verity

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Live in the hope that we can laugh in their faces after book 7... and that most of us will be much nicer about being proven right.

Pace
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
What was that again about the reaping of storm from the Bible? Can't remember the correct line in English.

Either way - let them say what they want how they want. If we're right after book 7 we'll remember to avoid acting like that. If we're wrong - there's always the possebility of writing an A/U. Wink

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been a Snape fan since 1997. However, I cannot get into fandom denial that he's not a very nice person. I've not read a good apologia post that is not fenced around with a certain air of panic - most of it is along the lines of terror at loss of fanon.

The guy in the fanfics, he's gone. Deal.

I am.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Pace
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree that he has shown one of his less-charming sides throughout the book. No denying that.

But somehow I have a feeling that there is more to Snape's actions. It all seems too obvious for a character like him and there are some things that just irk me. That's why I believe that he might be playing the part still. Sort of... He's not 'shiny-white' on the color spectrum of good and evil, but he isn't entirely 'pitch-black' yet, either.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll just nod. Nodding is good.

My friend told me that. I sniffed at her and said even though I thought that he had converted, there was always -- ALWAYS -- room for reasonable doubt.

I use those words a lot. She hates it. *grin*

Snape-haters. Just you wait... *scowls* I hope I'm proven wrong. He's not nice -- no way, I actually didn't like him one bit in the first two books. The third book lured me in, made me wonder why he hated Remus and Sirius and everyone so much. It was the 3rd book that did it for me... it's why it remains my favorite.

But let them talk. We are allowed to speculate.

Severus' mind is his own. We can only speculate.
Verity Brown
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
azazello wrote:
I've been a Snape fan since 1997. However, I cannot get into fandom denial that he's not a very nice person. I've not read a good apologia post that is not fenced around with a certain air of panic - most of it is along the lines of terror at loss of fanon.

The guy in the fanfics, he's gone. Deal.

I am.

I'm not talking about the cute-and-fluffy Snape of, admittedly, a not-small portion of fanon. I have never believed that Snape is a nice person. I have, however, believed that he is, at base, a good person. All the "ha ha, Snape really is deep, black evil, so there" reactions that I'm seeing are really unpleasant.

What happens to all those people (and I fear I must include myself) who have, to a degree, identified with Snape? People who would like to think that it is possible for a person to be good without always being nice.

Verity

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
At last! Someone who understands what I'm trying to say! (We have no coffee.. you're stuck with the stupid me.) Good and nice are 2 different things. Good at heart, which means you do things for a reason, and nice which in Severus' case is simply sickening.

Nice. To Potter

Eeech.

Pace
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
A 'good' Severus is still not out of the race, tho. We agree that he won't turn out to be the knight in shining armor (more like the Black Knight, if knightly at all) or will start handing out sweets any time soon, do we?

Well, there still is the chance of him becoming a sort of Jack-Sparrow-type of hero (please, please don't kill me), only sober. ... am I now forever banned for suggesting that? Question

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
I'm not harboring too much sympathy, as the Sirius-haters were equally vicious after the last book. Many of those people just happened to be big Snape fans.

What goes around, comes around, I suppose.
Alynna
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
What, am I the only Snape and Sirius fan? Wink

I think any time someone's proven right, there's bound to be some celebratory mud-slinging. This is the realm of the immature, IMO. And I will say this... in the end, this is a book. It is not real. The people frothing at the mouth and being cruel over something that is meant as entertainment with a bit of education on the side have obviously passed over the 'education' aspect, and aren't too worthy of having their views taken seriously.

It's actually scary, in a way, that they act like this. What are they gonna do if the wrong president/prime minister gets elected next time around... burn down the houses of the opposition?

aphrodeia
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
Alynna wrote:
What, am I the only Snape and Sirius fan? Wink

I like them. Together. And naked. Mmm.

*coughs*

But that's not canon, so nevermind.

Wink
Melvacaea
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
*eyes glaze over* Damn..... you know, I'm just going to be quiet while I sip my coffee and become rational....well, as rational as I can be anyway..

*goes off dreaming of naked Severus and Sirius in the same bed....sigh*

Two Methyloctane
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
There definately has to be more to his character than meets the eye. The Snape-haters are just looking for excuses to hate him and prove he's still the black-hearted bastard they, like Harry, think he is. I personally think this represents an immature view, like Harry is still immature.

But, even though I don't think he's still on Voldemort's side, there is not much denying that he is not a nice person. He is a Slytherin, after all, and not a Hufflepuff. He's probably suffered too much in his life to be very sympathetic to anyone...

But thats why we have fanfiction, lol.
anna_kat
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Two Methyloctane wrote:
He is a Slytherin, after all, and not a Hufflepuff.

Nowhere in the 6 books does JKR state that Hufflepuffs are nice but Slytherins are not.