Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Draco, the pure soul!

NeoQBirdie
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote
I have to say, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a victory for Draco fans. He is proven too innocent to kill a man.

Although he plotted murder through the book, and did some rather nasty deeds, in the end he just couldn't go through with it. This was the beginning of a redemtion for Draco, which I believe will come fully in the seventh book. Rowling must be planning for Draco to leave Voldemort, in my mind, although whether he will join up with Harry is another question entirely.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter?
liquidscissors
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Quote:
He is proven too innocent to kill a man.

Proven too weak, rather. He talked the talk, couldn't walk the walk. Time for him to hide out and grow up.

Draco will pull a Snape - split himself in two from sitting on the fence. They are cunning Slytherins after all (even if Draco has about much craft and savvy as a wet cabbage), and the best profit can be made by hanging back and choosing the winning side.
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
In the encounter with Dumbledore, Draco seemed truly terrified. For himself, for his family, and we see that he is, in fact, a child. Being ordered to kill the most powerful wizard alive as a kid not out of school?

And it looked like he was seriously thinking about taking Dumbledore up on his offer, until Snape had shown up. I'm hoping that Snape takes Draco and Narcissa, hides them, and turns them towards the Light side. (And no, I don't think Snape is a Voldemort supporter)
Owlbait
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
And what about all that sobbing he did at Myrtle? I was sure it was an act, that he wanted to trick her into doing something, but that never went anywhere. Theories anyone?

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
Owlbait wrote:
And what about all that sobbing he did at Myrtle? I was sure it was an act, that he wanted to trick her into doing something, but that never went anywhere. Theories anyone?

I don't think it was an act. While Draco is a deeply nasty person, he's also a wimp who needs approval. Think about how he acts with his cronies, always trying to be smooth, trying to impress them. Now imagine how he must be for his parents. He'd do ANYTHING for them, including signing up with Voldemort. But that doesn't make him a killer, or completely evil. He's still a confused teenager, and he's a rather wussy one, to boot.

I think his crying was genuine, and it was an interesting glimpse at what Draco might really be feeling.
odsbodkins2005
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I think Draco is in way over his depth and he knows it. He was lucky that Snape was there to take him away at the end of the book. If Draco does come to the light side, with his mother, I also think that Harry will also be much more willing to accept him as an allie. (provided he is not with Snape of course Wink
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. And also, since there is a lot more to Snape than we see (IMO), I think there is also a lot more to Draco.

Was he abused? We know he was spoiled, but he could've also had very high expectations set on him by his parents. So, I think there's a lot more than meets the eye. We don't really know a lot about him.
anna_kat
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Two Methyloctane wrote:
Exactly. And also, since there is a lot more to Snape than we see (IMO), I think there is also a lot more to Draco. Was he abused?

Narcissa looks like a genuine mother who loves her child very deeply. That, usually, is not the mark of a mother who allows her son to be abused - or would abuse him herself.
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I was sort of talking about abuse from Lucius, and Narcissa being sort of bullied into following along.

I agree, Narcissa seems like a genuinely loving parent who wants the best for Draco, but is overshadowed and bullied by Lucius, a powerful Death Eater. It's Lucius who seems like the abusive type. So, it'll be interesting to find out more about the Malfoy's home life.
GrownUpRon
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
odsbodkins2005 wrote:
I think Draco is in way over his depth and he knows it. He was lucky that Snape was there to take him away at the end of the book. If Draco does come to the light side, with his mother, I also think that Harry will also be much more willing to accept him as an allie. (provided he is not with Snape of course Wink

I'm willing to bet Harry won't take him as an ally. Bill Weasley is disfigured because Draco let the Death Eaters in and Harry knows it. I don't think he's going to let something like that go easily.

Draco has been nothing but I pain in the rear to Harry. The Weasleys have been nothing but wonderful to Harry.

The only thing draco is getting from Harry is a Crucio.
blah_blah_blah
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Draco was crying because he was scared. What happens when one does not complete a task given by LV? Death! Draco doesn't want to die. But he sure doesn't want to join Dumbledore either.

Remember when we heard someone "whoop" in the room of requirement? That was when Draco fixed the cabinet so the DE's could come through. He was happy! He was thrilled!

I think the "Dumbledore begged Snape to kill him to save poor Draco's innocent soul" theory is a bunch of crap. Then again, it does sound like some wacky scheme Dumbledore would dream up. Who knows. He is famous for giving second chances and seeing the best in people...yikes.
Kedd
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Draco could also have been whooping for joy when he set up the cabinets because he knew time and Voldemort's patience were running out and now he could get on with the plan. Even if he wasn't able to go through with it in the end.

And there may be more to the "Snape kills Dumbledore to save Malfoy's innocent soul" than you think. Realistically, I sure that if Draco was able to kill once it would only get easier. You know, once he got the feeling right to make Avada Kedavra work it would be easier to harness it a second time -- much like Harry and the Patronus charm. So then Voldemort would have another follower who can kill. There's also the point that Snape has just 'undeniably' cemented his loyalty to Voldemort, putting him in a better position to spy. And if AKing someone is as damaging to the soul as Dumbledore tells Harry it is, and there is no reason to doubt that, then I can see Dumbledore using the person whose soul is already partially damaged instead of the one who has an 'untainted' soul and thus so much more to lose.

Let me know what you think!
Kedd
rainfall4me
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Two Methyloctane wrote:
I was sort of talking about abuse from Lucius, and Narcissa being sort of bullied into following along.

I agree, Narcissa seems like a genuinely loving parent who wants the best for Draco, but is overshadowed and bullied by Lucius, a powerful Death Eater. It's Lucius who seems like the abusive type. So, it'll be interesting to find out more about the Malfoy's home life.

I don't think they are loving parents at all. It is all a big act for them. "Now, now Draco play nicely," to me all that says is Lucious is a afraid of Draco embarassing him. And Narcissa a loving mother.

"He's my only heir!" If you love your son you don't call him your heir, you call him your son, your baby, your heart and soul, but definitly not your heir.

Am I the only one who sees that?

On another note. I absolutely believe that Draco will be seeking redemption in the next book, via Harry. It was said numerous times in the books that Harry was obsessed with Draco, and also that Harry felt sorry for Draco at the end.

This is how Jo does foreshadowing, Draco had an important role, and he will in the next book too. I truly believe that Draco is going to help Harry, and die trying.