Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  My Why-Snape-Is-Not-Evil Theory (Spoilers)

Seamoor
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote
Yep, you're right; I went back later and checked the interview and I'd remembered it incorrectly. Oh, well.
Seamoor
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote
Yep, you're right; I went back later and checked the interview and I'd remembered it incorrectly. Oh, well.
EnigmaVX
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Theory for Snape being good

Why did no one teach Harry Occlumency?

After all importance placed upon his learning it in OotP even in the end…none is placed upon it in HBP tell the end when Snape says…"tell you keep your mouth shut and your mind closed"…, in fact it was casually dismissed. Dumbledore states that Voldemort has shut Harry out of his mind which is why his scar does not hurt. But nothing is ever said about that preventing him from looking into Harry's. Further when Snape was using Legilmency during his last encounter Harry seemed to be completely unaware of the mental invasion.

Therefore if we assume Dumbledore knew or suspected this would he not have been very careful about everything he said or did around Harry. Further could the pensive displays been not just for one but two audiences? If so perhaps he had a plan that involving Voldemort taking precautions with the remaining Horcruxs. His various spies or his spy whichever would give him info about Voldemort’s actions that would help him figure out where they were located…

Furthermore it would explain why Dumbledore could not tell Harry the real or full reason he trusted Snape...

As to the tower and Snape killing Dumbledore I offer this hypothesis,

I don't think it was planned but unexpected by both Snape and Dumbledore. I propose Snape had told Dumbledore about the unbreakable vow but I don't think Snape had found out for sure what Draco was to do for Voldemort tell that moment. The argument could have been about not only Snape being tired of the spying but his being tired of trying to get Draco to tell him what he was planning. Recall we overheard Draco refusing to do just that.

The "please" could have meant follow some contingency plan that any resistance group would have had concerning such situations. I mean it was a very desperate situation Dumbledore weakened no wand surrounded by enemies, Snape facing attempting and I do mean attempting as no matter how powerful he faced several opponates to save Dumbledore plus giving up his cover if he did manage to survive and if really lucky save Dumbledore who may have been already beyond saving due to the potion.. I'll leave other scenarios up to your imaginations ( all of which had to have run though both Dumbledore’s and Snape’s minds). Add to this Harry standing right there and assuming Voldemort watching though his mind Dumbledore knowing this and perhaps needing Snape to stay on the inside to feed info about the possible locations of the Horcruxs . I think a strong case for the aforementioned contingency plan and/or the two of them communicating via Legilmency, with Dumbledore’s words spurring Snape to do what perhaps had to be done including saving Draco can be made.

Also war in may ways is a chess game and like in war the initial plans never survive after actually meeting upon the battlefield. Like when Ron sacrificed himself in the chess game to further the group and put Harry in a winning position. They did not start the game with the intent to sacrifice anyone.

Add to this Harry standing right there and assuming Voldemort watching though his mind Dumbledore knowing that perhaps the best possible outcome of this impossible situation is to solidify Snape’s value to Voldemort.

Back to the Unbreakable Vow I think the title of the chapter is very telling Spinner’s End reference to a spider or one who spins things first reflections says Snape as the Spinner since he is the spy weaving his lies and in several ways it could be argued the killing of Dumbledore does end some things for Snape. But I think the title is more ominous and is not the head of a spy ring considered a spider sending his various spies here and there??? Could it have not perhaps refereed to Dumbledore and not Snape because the vow lead ultimately his death? I could go on but will refrain unless asked.

I also wonder if part of Snape’s reaction to being called a coward for killing Dumbledore doesn’t involve perhaps, his intense pain over what he was just ordered to do, blaming himself for his miscalculation of what Draco was supposed to do and failing to ferret it out before hand, now being forced into deep cover with no backup i.e. since they didn't have time for Dumbledore, considering the situation, to tell anyone else and Snape is now on his own in enemy territory.

Okay PLEASE fire away with your thoughts.....

Starting with Unbreakable Vow I think the title of the chapter is very telling, Spinner’s End perhaps reference to a spider or one who spins things… first reflections says Snape as the Spinner since he is the spy weaving his lies and in several ways it could be argued the killing of Dumbledore does end some things for Snape. But I think the title is more ominous and is not the head of a spy ring considered a spider sending his various spies here and there??? Could it have not perhaps refereed to Dumbledore and not Snape because the vow lead ultimately his death? I could go on but will refrain unless asked.

Is not a spy master i.e. the one in charge of the spies is oft refereed to as a spider he/she sits in the middle of a web/network of informants. The spider is the one that directs the various aspects of the web. Does this not fit what Dumbledore was doing? Was not it him who directed the Order and its informants? Did he not decide who he told what and parcel out information to the Orders members? Example he decided just what Harry would be told...would not he have done that with others? The battle in a sense was his chess game his web. All spy masters run the risk of the lack of full information leading not only to the loss of a spy but themselves as well. They are piecing together bits and pieces to try and decipher what the enemy is up to or planning. Can we not assume Snape would have been expected to do just what he did with Cissy and Bella? Last the chapter Spinners End did lead not to Snapes death but Dumbledores though the actions of one of his spies.

If we go with the meaning of Spinner's End as an metaphor for a spider. Then perhaps Aragog death takes on new meaning and applies too since JK likes to use foreshadowing alot. Aragog, like Dumbledore, sits in the middle of the web as patriarch of the spiders they follow his orders much as Dumbledores are followed even by people like Mundangus. As Aragog weakened his orders were not being completely followed (Hagrid..".see it's the rest of the tribe...Aragog's family...they're getting a bit funny now he's ill..bit restive...")...We know Dumbledore was also weakened his hand was not healing and he seemed as noted by Harry previously old tired etc...Mundangus was also doing things without Dumbledores permission (pilfering #12). Rosmerta was under an Imperius Curse this slipped by Dumbledore's notice and that of his spies, indication that his web unraveling? i.e. The lines of info represented by the threads of a web. What else was happening within the order? We know Tonks was off her game, this begs the question who else was...and just how frayed was Dumbledore's web did he even realize it was damaged or if he did how badly?

After Aragogs death the other spiders won't let Hagrid near their webs period. This makes me wonder just what shape the Order will be in in book 7 since like Aragog Dumbledore was isolated (note JK's comments in interview about his having no partner etc) if my rambling has any significance that is...

Snape, how will this effect him in book 7. I hate to believe that Dumbledore's big mistake would be his isolation and no confidante to tell about his plan to, although I prefer that as his mistake to it being having trusted Snape...I suppose this is a new area to discuss after considering the issues.

Let me know what you think
Verity Brown
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaVX wrote:
Why did no one teach Harry Occlumency?

I suspect that part of the reason may be because Harry had already proved to be phenomenally bad at it, after months of training. Perhaps Dumbledore decided that imparting the information on the Horcruxes was more important than drilling Harry in Occlumency.

Quote:
I don't think it was planned but unexpected by both Snape and Dumbledore. I propose Snape had told Dumbledore about the unbreakable vow but I don't think Snape had found out for sure what Draco was to do for Voldemort tell that moment.

Dumbledore (unless he was lying) tells Draco that he's known all year that Draco was trying to kill him. That fact doesn't fit with this (otherwise quite nice and very plausible) theory.

I love your thoughts about "Spinner's End" also possibly referring to Dumbledore as the spymaster. Especially the relationship to Aragog and *his* death. That's an absolutely elegant analysis! (Yeah, some may scream "overanalyzing!" but why shouldn't we analyze Harry Potter as literature?)

Verity

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I´m crazy or it is just wishfull thinking, but I can´t believe Dumbledore is really dead. I have read the posts of others, but have also my own thoughts on this topic:

1) I think all the talk of Tonk ´s patronus should make us aware of... well, of patronuses, so that we focus a bit on DDs patronus and the fact that a patronus can be used as means of transport for messages between order members. DDs patronus is a phoenix (I read this somewhere, don´t remember where), and during the funeral scene "Harry thought, for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a phoenix fly joyfully into the blue..."

But if Harry really saw a phoenix-patronus fly away it would mean that Dumbledore is still alive.

2) All the singing of Fawkes... it´s Harry´s POV and he thinks the bird is mourning, but how can he know exactly why Fawkes is singing, or what. Could have been some magic...

3) And I´m not fully convinced that DD is really dead, because before Snape "killed" him, he offered Draco help with "we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine". So, when they could hide Draco so completely, why not also Dumbledore, and all the "killing" scene was an enormous fake just to make sure that everybody involved -- specially Harry with his "open mind" -- had the right memories in case Voldemort would use Legillimency (or whatever it is spelled Smile). I think they wanted to make sure that Voldemort believes Harry is "alone" now, no one between them, and he can finally attack him and win. And it has to remain a complete secret, especially Harry must not know of the fake, because he is not very good at Occlumency (see the dueling scene with Snape).

4) Furthermore DD never told Harry of how he got the ring and injured his hand. I think this was an extremely important information, but DD was kind of "playing out" as if he did not dare to give Harry the information -- maybe because he suspected Voldemort still "entered" Harry´s brain without Harry being aware of it?

What speaks against my theory of DD still being alive is the pain in Snapes face, as he forbids Harry to call him COWARD (end of the duel). This could mean two things: Snape does not know of the fake and thinks he really has killed DD (but how could DD have plotted all this without Snape), or the pain has a completely different reason. But I can´t imagine what this reason could be. Any ideas?

This is my theory of DD and Snape and the killing. Maybe it´s far-fetched, but I hope it´s true and DD comes back in Book 7 to help Harry against LV (what a surprise that would be Smile) and to help Snape out of this really difficult situation.

And some moments ago I found this on www.ew.com:

"Dead as a Dumbledorenail? The late headmaster had a long tie to phoenixes (he owned one named Fawkes), suggesting the possibility of a return — perhaps to tell Harry the ''thrilling'' story he never shared in book 6 of how he grabbed the ring Horcrux. Dumbledore's portrait at Hogwarts is last seen ''slumbering''; Rowling has never indicated how soon portraits begin to animate."

Well, that´s all ... for now
EnigmaVX
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:

Dumbledore (unless he was lying) tells Draco that he's known all year that Draco was trying to kill him. That fact doesn't fit with this (otherwise quite nice and very plausible) theory.

Aye! I need to revisit my theory that Snape had not known tell that moment, he probably did although it is possible Dumbledore had figured it out and not told Snape what it was that the Unbreakable Vow entailed. The fact that Dumbledore knew so much suggests to me that Snape was keeping him informed although I have to admit Harry was also telling him about Draco. I do think that they we both caught unaware by Draco using the cabinet to let the other DE's in, and I have to hope that played more of a role in the outcome than Snape saving his own skin over Dumbledore. But if Dumbledore did know about the vow to complete the task meant killing him well then, well SO much can be read in his please, either as do it, it has to be done for the greater good and I am already a dead man (poison), or don’t save your soul it is worth dying for… No matter how we interpret it we will not know for sure tell book 7. BOOHOO

Verity Brown wrote:

…why shouldn't we analyze Harry Potter as literature?

I agree to me a book is not worth while unless there is deeper meaning be that metaphorically or in overall message. JK does a great job at both and I enjoy looking for its subtle nuances.

Lastly I want to add something that I had missed and just saw on another forum.

In OotP and when Voldemort and Dumbledore fight in the ministry there is a snake and a killing curse going straight for Dumbledore, Fawkes then came and swallowed the killing curse. So where was Fawkes? It wasn't like Dumbledore was hit in the back with the spell and how could it be said his life was not in peril? So why didn't Fawkes save him?
Verity Brown
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaVX wrote:
In OotP and when Voldemort and Dumbledore fight in the ministry there is a snake and a killing curse going straight for Dumbledore, Fawkes then came and swallowed the killing curse. So where was Fawkes? It wasn't like Dumbledore was hit in the back with the spell and how could it be said his life was not in peril? So why didn't Fawkes save him?

This is a very good point. Where was Fawkes? Considering that even Harry was able to call Fawkes to him (in CoS), why didn't Dumbledore call Fawkes to him? And why did it take so long for Fawkes to realize that Dumbledore was dead (before he started his keening)? This absence of Fawkes is another thing that suggests that Dumbledore may have known in advance that he was going to die.

Regardless, though, there is undoubtedly a lot more to the whole phoenix business than we've yet found out. I was quite interested to read, in the Mugglenet interview, that we will be learning more about Dumbledore in the last book. I would have thought that, with Dumbledore dead, more info about him (as opposed to info that he could have given) would be unlikely. That opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.

Verity

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
JK just delivered what seems a devastating blow to my Snape is not evil theory….

MA: Oh, here’s one [from our forums] that I’ve really got to ask you. Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has. Okay, one more each!

As much as I would have and even still want Dumbledore’s death to have been for the greater good the above gives me pause.

The definition of culpable is as follows:

Etymology: Middle English coupable, from Middle French, from Latin culpabilis, from culpare to blame, from culpa guilt
1 archaic : GUILTY, CRIMINAL
2 : meriting condemnation or blame especially as wrong or harmful <culpable negligence>
synonym see BLAMEWORTHY

While we could debate what exactly he is guilty of and believe me I would like it to be something other than Dumbledore’ death how can we, since not only does she call him blameworthy but more so than even Voldemort, OUCH.

The next tidbit is her saying he is meriting condemnation because he has been loved. Which begs the question by whom. A lot of people have jumped to his mother and aye that is a possibility. But what if the person who loved him was Dumbledore…

If so the pleading takes on the Severus don’t do this to your soul…Dumbledore knew about the vow and when he saw Severus he immediately feared him choosing his own life over the greater good.

Much as I adore the character I fear a lot of my hopes have been dashed by this one question. It also sets up three characters Harry, Snape, and Voldemort making choices based on love, one who never knew it as a child which new evidence is showing leads to a lack of empathy and ability to love. One who knew a mother’s love and was saved by it shows empathy towards others, one who knew love and is still making the choice to ignore his inner sense of ultimate right and wrong, note here the statement by Phineas Nigellus, ""We Slytherins are brave yes, but not stupid. For example, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks". JK has made much about the importance of choices, Dumbledore has spoken repeatedly to Harry about the importance of the choices we one makes over and over in the series.

I ask my self what else could Snape be blamed for in such strong terms, his hate for Harry, perhaps but lets look at that WHY was it simply because he is James’s son or is there more to it than that simple answer. What if the idea of Snape being in love with Lily is true! In part three of the interview JK the following tidbit comes out.

MA: Was there anyone else present in Godric’s Hollow the night Harry’s parents were killed?

JKR: No comment.

[All laugh.]

JKR: I’m sorry!

Could Snape have been there pleading for Lily to take Voldemort’s offer to spare her life? If so could he not hate Harry because Lily choose him over Snape?

Could this be the reason for the great remorse Dumbledore speaks of Snape having over the prophecy issue.

Now I lay this to you readers is which is Severus guilty of , is he guilty of both, or neither… he is guilty of something all together different.

What does this do for those of us who wanted a redeemed Snape, a good in the end Snape? Since JK has now said he is guiltier than Voldemort which one will be redeemed if either in book 7.
Verity Brown
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaVX wrote:
While we could debate what exactly he is guilty of and believe me I would like it to be something other than Dumbledore’ death how can we, since not only does she call him blameworthy but more so than even Voldemort, OUCH.

That is quite a blow, isn't it? Definitely OUCH.

On the other hand, we know that Snape has been evil in the past--there's no question about that whatsoever. He joined the Death Eaters and participated in their activites, which we know included killing people. For the moment, I would prefer to think that that's what she's referring to when she says "culpable."

Quote:
If so the pleading takes on the Severus don’t do this to your soul…Dumbledore knew about the vow and when he saw Severus he immediately feared him choosing his own life over the greater good.

The thing is, I just can't buy this. Not just because it doesn't fit my theory, but because it doesn't make sense. There is nothing that Snape could have done, realistically, to save Dumbledore. Either one of the other DEs would have pushed Draco into doing it (which, I think, Dumbledore would not have wanted, since Draco's soul is relatively pure at this point). Or one of the other DEs would have killed Dumbledore (and Snape, should he have tried to stop them--and anyway, Snape would have died from the broken Vow if anyone but he or Draco killed Dumbledore).

I feel quite sure that Snape's soul was already damaged before this. And that Dumbledore knew it. For Dumbledore to plead with Snape not to do *further* damage to his soul, when the alternatives are either the damaging of Draco or death for Snape, just seems highly unlikely to me.

Quote:
MA: Was there anyone else present in Godric’s Hollow the night Harry’s parents were killed?

Ooooooooo!

Quote:
Could Snape have been there pleading for Lily to take Voldemort’s offer to spare her life? If so could he not hate Harry because Lily choose him over Snape?

I really, really like that.

Quote:
What does this do for those of us who wanted a redeemed Snape, a good in the end Snape? Since JK has now said he is guiltier than Voldemort which one will be redeemed if either in book 7.

Considering how much she has to lose--in terms of people figuring out her plotline in advance--I tend not to entirely trust everything she says in interviews. Like the info in the books, it doesn't always come out to mean just what it seems to on the surface.

For the time being, I'm going to hold to the "guiltier for having chosen to go wrong to begin with" idea and wait for further developments. Yeah, maybe that's delusional. So what. I still can't explain away, to my satisfaction, a lot of the facts that definitely point to StillGood!Snape. And, as I've said elsewhere, if Snape turns out to have been evil all along, he pretty much loses interest for me as a character. I'd rather he didn't. So...just awaiting further developments.

Verity

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaVX wrote:
JK just delivered what seems a devastating blow to my Snape is not evil theory….

MA: Oh, here’s one [from our forums] that I’ve really got to ask you. Has Snape ever been loved by anyone?

JKR: Yes, he has, which in some ways makes him more culpable even than Voldemort, who never has.

Don´t panic.

What does she mean with "more culpable" or more guilty? More guilty of what? Of the death of Harry´s parents? Of the atrocites of the DeathEaters? Of something else? I think she wants to say, that Snape is more guilty or culpable of his deeds because he was once loved -- he could have done elsewise, could have known better, he had a choice.

Voldemort had never been loved, so he didn´t know better, could not do elsewise -- in her eyes he had no choice.

Someone who could choose to do elsewise is more culpable than someone who has no choice.

I think the important point here is the choice -- remember the repeated talks of Dumbledore and Harry regarding choice (in PS, and now in Book 6 referring to the prophecy).

But I think another part of this interview is much more important:

JKR-Interview wrote:

[All laugh.]

JKR: I’m sorry!

Here are the thoughts of a WIKTT-member who says it much better than I would be able, but I fully agree:

maya x wrote:

Wow, that she would not want to reveal that point would make it
appear as if she's hiding something we all want to know.. could it be
that Snape was really there and that's the reason he ran to
Dumbledore? I know it's been in tons of fanfic, but that would
definitely explain why Dumbledore would trust him, if he came to him
and revealed what Voldie had planned to do and then was there to see
it carried out. Perhaps he was the one who alerted Dumbledore about
the murders as well, later after it happened so that he could
retrieve Harry from house.

Yes, I also think, that JKR tries to hide something. I remember an interview which I heard or read where she said approximately that there are so many theories and stories out there, and "some of them are really there"!

So, I dont´t think that there is no chance of redemption for Snape. I think even Voldemort could be forgiven if he chose to see that he has done wrong things and would regret his evil deeds. But he does not regret.

But Snape -- this is my point of view -- chose to see where he had done wrong, regrets his deeds and wants to make amends, even when all the evidence in Book 6 tries to make us think elsewise. I still believe in Good!Snape, because he had ample opportunity to kill Harry or bring him to the Dark Lord, but he did not -- he saved his life several times.

So, don´t panic, there is still hope Smile

Sorry for the bad english Smile
EnigmaVX
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Responding to both previous post,

I am not yet sure if the "act" was in his past, I sure hope it was and that JK is carefully trying to keep people from being to able to argue and convince others that Dumbledore was pleading with Snape for a quick merciful death...

I shall prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Verity Brown
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't helping thinking of the interview when she responded to the question about Snape falling in love with "Who would want Snape in love with them? That's a horrible idea." If the Snape-loved-Lily theory proves to be true, then that comment was clearly a misdirection, meant to make us think that she would never have Snape be in love with anyone. That's why I can't take this "culpable" comment at face value.

Of course, we could all be wrong. But I love how she said that she loves the theorizing. Because I love theorizing, too. I suspect that she will be very, very careful in what she says over the next few years, so as to keep us theorizing. And that is, perhaps, as it should be.

Verity

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:
I can't helping thinking of the interview when she responded to the question about Snape falling in love with "Who would want Snape in love with them? That's a horrible idea." If the Snape-loved-Lily theory proves to be true, then that comment was clearly a misdirection, meant to make us think that she would never have Snape be in love with anyone. That's why I can't take this "culpable" comment at face value.

I also remember this interview and I was a bit surprised that someone like JKR would say something so superficial and biased like that and with such a derogatory voice. I thought she did not like to talk about it.

But I think much more important was the next question and the next answer... unfortunately I do not know whether it was the same person asking?

Quote:

One of our internet correspondents wondered if Snape is going to fall in love.
JKR: (JKR laughs) Who on earth would want Snape in love with them? That’s a very horrible idea.

There’s an important kind of redemptive pattern to Snape
JKR: He, um, there’s so much I wish I could say to you, and I can’t because it would ruin. I promise you, whoever asked that question, can I just say to you that I’m slightly stunned that you’ve said that and you’ll find out why I’m so stunned if you read Book 7. That’s all I’m going to say.

This is encouraging.

Well, what do you think? As I heard this interview I had the impression that she was genuinely stunned an no longer derogatory, but sounded really surprised in a positive way. And she said it with much emphasis, so I think there was message in it. But what kind of message? Confused

Apologies for the bad english Smile
Verity Brown
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
just me wrote:

But I think much more important was the next question and the next answer... unfortunately I do not know whether it was the same person asking?

Quote:

One of our internet correspondents wondered if Snape is going to fall in love.
JKR: (JKR laughs) Who on earth would want Snape in love with them? That’s a very horrible idea.

There’s an important kind of redemptive pattern to Snape
JKR: He, um, there’s so much I wish I could say to you, and I can’t because it would ruin. I promise you, whoever asked that question, can I just say to you that I’m slightly stunned that you’ve said that and you’ll find out why I’m so stunned if you read Book 7. That’s all I’m going to say.

This is encouraging.

Well, what do you think? As I heard this interview I had the impression that she was genuinely stunned an no longer derogatory, but sounded really surprised in a positive way. And she said it with much emphasis, so I think there was message in it. But what kind of message? Confused

That bit of the interview was somewhat confusing. I couldn't tell whose comment that "redemptive pattern" was--the interviewer's or the correspondent's. I also couldn't tell if her response ("there's so much I wish I could say") was meant to be a response to the first comment (in which case, it supports the Snape-loved-Lily theory) or the second comment (in which case, it supports a GoodInTheEnd!Snape theory).

That interview is, however, what led me to form the pre-HBP theory that Snape would probably die for Harry in the end.

Verity

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:

That interview is, however, what led me to form the pre-HBP theory that Snape would probably die for Harry in the end.

Verity

Please don´t be angry with me, but I madly deeply truely hope you are wrong in this point!!!

All the best,
just me

Exclamation SSS... Save Severus Snape!!! Exclamation