Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  My Why-Snape-Is-Not-Evil Theory (Spoilers)

Marianne
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I am afraid he will die. In my opinion, Hermione will die too. This will definitely be a problem for Ashwinder. We could go for time-turner stories. Some people seemed to have dropped out after HBP; we've got the reprieve. Wink
Verity Brown
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree that if either Ron or Hermione die, the most likely victim is Hermione. She's got everything going for her--she would most likely succeed at anything in life that she put her mind to. That makes her a more "fair" target than poor Ron, who has always had to play second fiddle, even to Harry.

Also, consider that Hermione is the one who always figures things out for the Trio. Removing her raises the level of the challenge for Harry to succeed.

I really hope it was Snape who got the reprieve. I'd think it would be harder to kill an interesting horrible character than a stereotypical one.

Verity

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
We COULD write stories about when Snape is very young, but what's the fun in that if you know he'll buy the farm before he hits fifty?

(Thanks for the tissue, I need it)

Mel
Melpomene Erato
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Verity Brown wrote:
[...]

Also, consider that Hermione is the one who always figures things out for the Trio. Removing her raises the level of the challenge for Harry to succeed.

I really hope it was Snape who got the reprieve. I'd think it would be harder to kill an interesting horrible character than a stereotypical one.

Verity

Well, Hermione doesn't need to die to leave Harry figuring things out for himself. Already in book 2 she was petrified and he had to do that anyway - Ron had little input. That, unless the author wants Harry completely alone for the final match.

I hope it doesn't come down to that. After DD's inspiring speech "we are only as strong as we are united, etc." it's terrible to see that Harry is determined to go it alone.
iloveroses95
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
Snape is good for many reasons.One is when Snape is entering the tower."We've got a problem Snape"says a Death Eater"the boy doesn't seem to be able to do it".
Before Snape does anything he hears someone whisper his name "severus" even before he does anything.And Dumbledore begs Dumbledore doesnt beg he doesnt fear Death.So why beg?
wonga
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
My two cents: (Please excuse any repetitions but my attention span ran out at the third page.)

I am a believer in Snape is not evil, but I don't believe he is good, a chaotic neutral perhaps? Snape is a Slytherin doing what he must in the act of self preservation or perhaps in loyalty to the one person who has trusted him. I doubt that Snape will survive the series.

To be honest my thoughts are predominately influenced by the simple fact that nothing is ever as it appears in the world of Harry Potter, and maybe just a little bit by my "soft spot" for Snape. Although all the suggestions mentioned in the first post add some weight and believability to the idea.

I find it interesting that JKR used the similar words to describe both Harry's and Snape's reactions to what they did.

Harry:
Quote:
Hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing...

Snape:
Quote:
... And there was revulsion and hatred etched in the...

...Or maybe JKR hasn't heard of Thesaurus.

As to the Snape/ Lilly shippers, there is something that has been bothering me. At the trial Harry sees in the pensieve (OotP) Dumbledore states that Snape has been spying for him for some time.

Quote:
...He rejoined our side before Lord Voldemort's downfall and turned spy for us...

So I don't see how Lilly's death could possibly have affected Snape's decision as she wasn't dead yet.

Finally, Polyjuice. Dead is dead.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Snape is most likely good. I remember in an interview that JK said Snape was a good man, just not someone she wanted to meet in a dark ally. Most likely because he'd be with his Deatheater buddies

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
[quote="wonga"]

I find it interesting that JKR used the similar words to describe both Harry's and Snape's reactions to what they did.

Harry:
Quote:
Hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing...

Snape:
Quote:
... And there was revulsion and hatred etched in the...

Yes! And let's consider the whole cave scene as well. Dumbledore tells Harry over and over that he (Harry) is more valuable than Dumbledore. He makes him *promise* to keep feeding him that potion, no matter what... and although he says he doesn't think it will kill him, there is that moment when Harry really thinks he's dead. Some things are worse than death, right? And this is clearly one of them, since he yells "KILL ME!"

If he's willing to do this to Harry, I think ordering Snape to kill him is definitely in character. And while there's not much Snape can do as far as spy work is concerned, he can certainly influence Voldemort from the inside if he's more "trusted". As for being happy about Snape killing him instead of Draco... Voldemort's not a fool. There may not be witnesses *IN* the Astronomy tower, but there's a whole bunch of Phoenix people on the stairs. Hesitate too long, and Aurors will be called ... Dumbledore will survive, Death Eaters will be arrested. I doubt Voldemort's going to be mad at Snape for preventing this all from occurring, even if he would have preferred Draco to do it.

As for "leaving Harry to Voldemort" -- the curse Snape was "blocking" was the Cruciatus. Surely V. wouldn't mind his Death Eaters casting *that* at Harry, provided they didn't actually drive him insane. Yes, he wants to be the one to *kill* Harry, but if so, why not capture Harry and take him with? All those Death Eaters, only one Harry? Surely it's possible. It seems to me that he uses the mayhem to remind them why not to attack Harry, but it's contradictory to everything else:

1. He still could capture the boy, allowing V. to do it himself.
2. He obviously doesn't care about *all* of V.'s orders, since he killed D. despite them.
3. He was blocking the Cruciatus, which I'd imagine V. wouldn't have a problem with.

I think the reason that D. wanted *Snape* after the events of the cave was that Snape already knew about the Horcruxes... he'd been the one to help D. with his hand, after all, and those two things together -- that Harry was supposed to go to Snape and not say a word of anything to ANYONE else (not even McGonagall) tells me that there was something that Snape would know that no one else would.

Finally, I have no idea what this has to do with anything, except that I do think Snape is connected to spiders in some way is the Spy riddle in the Maze of the Triwizard Tournament:

"First think of the person who lives in disguise,
Who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next, tell me what's always the last thing to mend,
The middle of middle and end of the end?
And finally give me the sound often heard
During the search for a hard-to-find word.
Now string them together and answer me this,
Which creature would you be unwilling to kiss?"
(629, American paperback)

For some reason, I keep thinking this has to do with apologies and forgiveness, but I haven't figured it out yet. Of course, that could easily be more over-analysis.

That's all I can think of right now... other than that we really can't trust the interviews. She said, outright, that the reason Snape didn't have the Dark Arts job was that Dumbledore didn't fully trust him.

But, in the light of Half-Blood Prince, we know that's not true. He says he trusts Snape "completely" and we also know that the Dark Arts job was cursed. If he didn't trust Snape, he wouldn't have let him teach. Period. Or if, for some reason, he *had* to give him a job, he would have given him the one job that he knew Snape would be out of for some kind of coincidental reason. Interestingly, I think the curse on the job does more than just cause them to lose their job. I think it also brings out the worst in people, if they aren't evil-ish to begin with:
Quirrell - obvious
Lockhart - cowardice
Lupin - forgets to take his potion, causing him to become an evil beast
Moody/Crouch - obvious
Umbridge - more obvious
Snape - kills Dumbledore.

Oh, there's one other thing I remember:
There's a conversation in Book 3, in which Snape is desperately trying to convince Dumbledore that Lupin is trying to get Black into Hogwarts. Dumbledore reacts to Snape in this situation in *exactly* the same manner as he later reacts to Harry when Harry is trying to get him to distrust Snape, except that in Harry's case, Dumbledore says, "I think you might even consider the possibility that I understood more than you did."

This is after Harry relates the conversation that he heard between Draco and Snape, which reveals the Unbreakable Vow AND the knowledge that Draco was behind the attempt on Dumbledore's live via Katie Bell. Dumbledore dismissed as "unimportant" and that he might have understood more of what was going on than Harry. To me, this says he already knew what was up with them, and that he *had* asked Snape to "look after" Draco.

Anyway, so yes, I'm definitely in the "Snape is Dumbledore's man" camp, regardless of how nice or good he actually is.

Sorry for the long, crazy post.