Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  My Why-Snape-Is-Not-Evil Theory (Spoilers)

Kherezae
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Draco will be important in showing Harry that Snape isn't evil. Draco... maybe Dumbledore's portrait... oh, beats me. But we can already see that Harry's loathing toward Draco has close to evaporated. He kind of feels sorry for the kid. So if Draco shows Harry he isn't evil, helps out, at some point in the seventh book, he may even be able to show Harry that Snape did what he did for a reason. Because... you'd think Snape would explain it all to Draco?

But I don't know. I'm entirely confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pace
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I've said a few times before and I'll say it again because I like saying it: I think Snape is still playing his part.

There are several things pointing into this direction and as long as I don't read that their false on J.K.'s webbie or in volume 7, may it arrive here soon, I will hold on to them. Yes, yes, I will.

There's the Flitwick-thing (he couldn't have known he was spied upon), the backhanded advice (as backhanded as I've ever seen it, although it might have been taunting, too), the argument he had with Dumbledore, of which we don't know much, only what Hagrid overheard, the fact that Dumbledore immediately wished to see Severus when returning from the cave instead of Madame Pomfrey, and a little theory of mine concerning the Unforgivables.

However, one should not forget that Dumbledore, too, is prone to make mistakes. See: Sirius. Dumbledore was convinced Sirius was the traitor until Harry and Hermione told him otherwise. He might have been wrong about Snape, too, but whether he really was remains to be seen.

[Edit]: I think that Harry has come closer to seeing Draco as a real person and not just the bigoted and arrogant snob he's known the prior 5 years. I don't think that they will end up as friends in the 'Ron & Harry' way, but I can very well immagine a 'Don Camillo and Peppone' type of friendship.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I still live in denial. I would be to easy. I can't believe that Dumbledore was such a fool to trust Snape with his life without reason. In another forum I found a link I liked.
Maybe Dumbledore is not really dead (the funeral scene!)
Kherezae
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
As I posted on the R.A.B. thread:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/garlandgraves/3409.html

This person just had a very good analysis of the book, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alynna
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Pace wrote:
There's the Flitwick-thing (he couldn't have known he was spied upon), the backhanded advice (as backhanded as I've ever seen it, although it might have been taunting, too), the argument he had with Dumbledore, of which we don't know much, only what Hagrid overheard, the fact that Dumbledore immediately wished to see Severus when returning from the cave instead of Madame Pomfrey, and a little theory of mine concerning the Unforgivables.

I had similar thoughts regarding Flitwick, though I believe Snape may have known he was being spied on. Still, he could have killed Luna and Hermione when their backs were turned... and he didn't.

The Unforgivables... as part of a general need to not hurt Harry (because, really, would you as a Death Eater leave such a prize behind when it lay writhing under Crucio??), Snape is trying to keep him from succesfully casting one. I agree with the backhanded advice, too. Could be taunting, but wouldn't that have been more along the lines of "You'll never figure this out!" instead of "Listen to me spout off the things you need to be a better fighter!" ?

Kismet
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Kherezae wrote:
As I posted on the R.A.B. thread:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/garlandgraves/3409.html

This person just had a very good analysis of the book, I think.

I liked your bit about legilmancy especially. I hadn't thought about it, but it does make sense that if Dumbledore opened his mind to Snape then Snape could see what was at the forefront of it.
Kherezae
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Teh, my bit? =P I'm just the herald, that's someone else's journal. But yes, I agree.
julietbencsik
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Briefly what JKR has to say....

She has said there is an important redemptive pattern to Snape which
will not be fully revealed until Book 7. Unfortunately she also says
he is a deeply horrible person.

She does agree with Stephen Fry that Snape is not so bad, but also not
so nice.

She is worried that people love Snape.

As pointed out in OotP by P Nigellus Slytherins will "always choose to
save our own necks".

Snape states that he thinks Voldemort will eventually expect him to
kill Dumbledore (chapter 2) and his unbreakable vow to Narcissa
ensures that he MUST kill Dumbledore if Draco fails. Dumbledore knew
Draco was trying to kill him. Dumbledore knew? Possibly. He has
hinted to Harry that Harry must fight - prophecy or no.

Most telling - Dumbledore KNEW that Snape would only last a year. He
KNOWS the DADA position is cursed (see pensieve memories). Maybe he
realised the choice Snape would have to make.

Ultimately - won't know until book 7. But we do know that Snape has
within him the ability to kill.

Also remember that he did alert the order to where Sirius was - not quite the story he told Narcissa & Bellatrix
anna_kat
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:
Now, the "ironclad trust" that Dumbledore had for Snape...could they have had their own Unbreakable Vow?

When Hagrid overhears the argument between Dumbledore and Snape, he hears Dumbledore tell Snape that he "agreed to do it". Nothing about vows, bonds and other forms of compulsion.

The difference between the right side and the wrong side is that those on the right side have no one to answer to, except their own conscience.

The question I am asking myself now is not, whether Snape is on the side of the light and plotting for Voldemort's downfall. It's about the stuff Snape is made off. I can not really see the end justifies the means as JKR's philosophy. Which is why I think that Snape does not measure up.

Last edited by anna_kat on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Severusgirlx
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Severus killing Albus was the proof that he's loyal to Albus.

The argument Hagrid overheard in the grounds between Sev and Albus was Albus instructing Severus to take his life and Severus having doubts.

The part-soul of Voldemort was, I am sure, in the liquid that Albus drank. Albus became the vessel. He knew it was so, which is why he took Harry, so Harry could force him to drink it and which is why he instructed Sev to kill him on his return.

"Severus...please..."

was Albus pleading with Severus to do as he'd been instructed.

Severus' look of hatred and revultion was because of what he had to do.

There are so many other reasons why Severus is still our man and unless JKR has a terrible twist to this, Severus, I am sure, is good. She has told us that book six was time for answers, not more questions. We have our answer. Sev is with us.
Lariff
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The part-soul of Voldemort was, I am sure, in the liquid that Albus drank. Albus became the vessel. He knew it was so, which is why he took Harry, so Harry could force him to drink it and which is why he instructed Sev to kill him on his return.

Interesting theory, I hadn't thought of it before.

I think all in all, there's more ways you can twist this into Sev being good than into him being bad. During this whole series, he has been getting progressively more important... I doubt Rowling would have two mega-bad guys... and now with Dumbledore gone, there's certainly room for someone powerful on the Light side to step up.
odsbodkins2005
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with Snape calling himself the Half Blood Prince. I just like that my favourite character is important enough to the whole plot that a whole book is named after him Razz
PenAgainstSword
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, there's Slug. I noticed that part of the reason he was so taken with Harry was that his eyes reminded Slug of Lily's, and that that may have played a big role in Harry being able to get the memory from him. However, if that's all it turns out to be, after all the build up, I'll be awfully disappointed.

Does anybody else think that the memory was not quite as drastically important as it was made out to be. Clearly Dumbledore knew what a horcrux was, and he had already taken steps to destroy the ones he knew about *long* before Harry gets the true memory. Indeed, the only thing that the true memory tells us is (if my memory has not been too fogged by fibro and lack of sleep) that Voldie planned to make *seven* of them. Which yes, is important. But not so important as finding about the existance of such things to begin with.

I thought about this for a moment and I think it has to do with the fact that Dumbledore was trying to teach Harry how to rely on his OWN abilities instead of the Headmaster's, as he seems to do all the time.

If Dumbledore planned his own death with Snape, then he knew that he wasn't going to be there anymore for Harry to rely on for information. Harry was going to have to know that it is within his power to defeat Voldemort, and that it is going to have to be done with research, as well as power.
sevfank
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for posting because I can tell you I was pretty depressed after reading HBP. I do believe that Snape is good for all the reasons that all of you have mentioned. But after this book i have no faith that JKR is going to go in the direction I want the book to go. Before I started reading the book, I was worried that JKR was going to kill Snape off. I thought that was the worst she could do. When I read the chapter with the Unbreakable Vow I was even more positive that was going to happen. I pictured him dying from the vow so that Dumbledore could live. I just didn't count on Dumbledore's gryffindor nature. Now I can't move past the fact that him killing Dumbledore not only damns him in every character's eyes but also his own. I don't know what to think anymore. Again thanks for posting it helps me believe that there might be hope when I am just afraid to hope.
Mizzlsd
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yuck, all my friends, who already think I'm weird for loving Snape, are gloat gloat gloating.

Heres one other way we could look at this: Shock Treatment. J.K Rowling is wanting to write an amazing story, so she has wrote a highly convincing Evil Snape, she has done this throughout the whole series so far, but could this just be a repeated, but longer, version of Philosophers Stone.

When Harry confronts Quirrel and says it's Snape Quirrel says "Yes, he seems the type doesn't he." and how many people did it shock? JK knows that everyone is convinced that Snape is evil, so how about doing the most amazing turn and shocking all the readers in doing a VERY subtle transition between evil and good Snape?

I'm on Wishful thinking here...because Snape is too well written, so mysterious etc