Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Beta-reading for the brave.

Snape's Patronus
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Posts: 10 Location: Inside my own head.
Name or Penname: Julian Black/Snape's Patronus

Email: ethnohistorian@yahoo.com

Beta Experience: My proofreading and editorial experience is, so far, limited to my academic field and general nonfiction, but I should be able to make the switch to fiction without much trouble.

Writing Experience: I am currently working on a novel-length HP fic, as well as an original novel. Most of my writing experience so far is related to my academic field; I am currently a graduate student in a MA program.

Ratings: I am 37 years old; a grown-up, in other words. Unless I have noted something below as objectionable, I can probably handle it. If not, you'll know very quickly.

Ships: I primarily read Snape/OC, Snape/Lupin, and (Merlin knows why) Snape/Hagrid. I'll occasionally read Snape/Black under certain conditions, and if I'm in the mood, though canonically it's utterly impossible (see the notes below). I will read other adult ships in the Potterverse, either slash or het, as well.

Shocking as it may seem, I will also read fics that don't involve any shipping at all.

Categories/Genres: I read all genres except songfics, crossovers, and poetry.

Strengths as beta reader: I am ruthlessly thorough. I am the Minerva McGonagall of grammar, the Severus Snape of punctuation, the Hermione Granger of spelling, and the Crucio-dealing Lord Voldemort of canonical detail. However, I do try to deliver my criticisms in as Remus Lupin a fashion as possible.

Weakness: Sometimes I forget that I am trying to be Remus Lupin, and turn into Professor Snape (especially when confronted with sloppy, lazy writing, disregard for canon, or Mary Sues). I'm also an American, and while I can spot most places where Americanisms need to be replaced with Britishisms, you might still a native Britpicker after I'm done.

Dislikes: Student/teacher pairings, OOC-ness, incest, mpregs, rape/non-con, the now-cliche gratuitous angst-behaviors (cutting, drug abuse, etc.), and babyfics all annoy me. So do physical or temperamental makeovers meant to make unattractive or average-looking canon characters more appealing, and thinly disguised fantasies about Alan Rickman (or anyone else) presented as fanfic.

Any additional notes: I admit that I have a sordid little taste for Snape/Black slashfics that flirt with non-con; my attitude toward the pairing is that if neither of them walks away uninjured afterward (in one form or another), it's too fluffy and romantic. They despise each other, which is what makes the pairing hot. If they are going to have sex, however, it only seems right that they will also hate themselves afterwards for giving in to desire.

Other than that bit of non-canonical smut, I'm a stickler for keeping people, places, and practices as in-canon as possible. If Mr Ollivander sold your telepathic American exchange student (who is really Harry's sister) a wand with a sphinx-hair core, I'll let Professor Snape tell you exactly what he thinks about it...
snapeaddict
Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hi there!

Your profile looks very good and is very detailed. I think you're the ideal beta (that is if you let your inner Lupin win most of the times) but unfortunately I guess you would not like my fics.

The one I'm working on right now is a Draco/OFC and Lucius/OFC het fic which includes some slight BDSM and non-con sex. So I guess you'd hate it, which is a real pity as I liked your profile so much.

In case you are running short of fics to beta or are bored enough to give it a shot, I would be honoured if you could beta mine though.

My problem is that English is not my native language and although I think I'm fairly good, I'm probably not good enough by a native speaker's standards, so I'd need someone rather strict (like your inner McGonagall) to review my fics.

PM me or email me (mistresskathy@web.de) in case you are interested.
Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year by the way. Smile
crimsonhaze
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Hello!

I have read your profile a few times, but never replied because you stated not to be into student/teacher ships. Still, I am now in need for a new beta, as one of my others unfortunately isn’t able in a while due to personal stuff.

Your profile appeals to me, so I'm giving it my best shot. It is not your average St/teach plot and a lot of other stuff/drama is happening to keep you away from those moral feelings creeping up... although, morality(others as their own) will always be questioned by all characters involved.
I must warn you, there will be BDSM insinuation, but never very explicit, and maybe it is not happening at all... it will leave you wondering what is going on...
So, here's a short summary:

Taming the Dragon:
Amelia Paris is in her last year at Hogwarts, ready to step into the Wizarding World of grown ups. But before she can do that, she has to face something new, exciting and unsettling about herself. Will her Potions teacher drive her away from her coloured clouds into the dark haze of his own? Dreamer meets realist; a story of fire, unknown desires and hard lessons.

formalities:
nc-17
ss/oc
romance, friendship, drama, humor, explicit sex
other characters: Lupin, Lucius, Tonks

One other thing: I would like a beta who is quick, because I want this thing on the net in a just few weeks, and definitely before HP6! The problem is... it is a very big story... Windows almost collapsed telling me I have nearly 150.000 words (=about 250 pages...)
So... if you are in for such a challenge, plz let me know!!
thanks!
email:
ssapadam@yahoo.com