Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Fanfic Updates  ~  Envy - now *complete* at Lumos

Snegurochka
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Greetings, SHers!

In preparation for the release of Book 6, I have decided I desperately need to finish a good number of the WIPs clogging my hard drive, before they become obsolete. I know many fic readers are on hiatus until new canon comes out, but for those who are not, I present the first chapter of my new fic, now up at Lumos!

Envy
Act I: Iced Coffee

Summary - The Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs Amateur Theatre proudly presents... Envy, a tale of love, rivalry, and betrayal set during the First War against Voldemort, and which may or may not owe a great debt to a certain Shakespearean tragedy. Prepare to meet Remus Lupin, discarded former lover of James Potter, who was not chosen as James's Best Man, not chosen as his son's godfather, not chosen as Commander of the Order of the Phoenix, not promoted or appreciated or loved in any way at all... and who has decided to make those he sees as responsible for his wretched life pay dearly...

Teaser -

---------------------------------------------
The wizard called Remus was calmly emptying a sugar packet over the ice cubes in his drink, the recently-arrived iced latte. He marvelled absently to himself that he always, without fail, poured sugar into iced coffee despite knowing, every time, that it would never melt, and would in fact simply sit in granules atop the ice cubes until they shifted and deposited the sweet crystals on the bottom of the glass, leaving him to drink a cold, bitter beverage. He sighed.

Remus hated iced coffee.

---------------------------------------------

Yes, I know, everyone and their dog has a HP/Shakespeare fic, but I plead naivete! 90% of this was written last summer, when I was new to the fandom and thought my Shakespeare idea would be earth-shattering. *headdesk*

But I hope you will give it a try, even those who think they've seen too many Shakespeare remakes. I dare say this one will be a bit different from what you might expect. Smile

Warnings: It's not a pretty fic. Beware of slash, het, character death (canon), abuse, allusions to non-consensual sex, and adult language.

If all that hasn't put you off, I applaud you, and thank you in advance for reading. Smile

Peace,
~Snegurochka

Last edited by Snegurochka on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snegurochka
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
*waves* Me again!

I told you I was trying to get a bunch of fic out before book 6, didn't I? This shall mean updating as frequently as I can until then... which also means...

Act II of 'Envy' is now up at Lumos!

Envy
Act II: The Warehouse

Oh all right, I'll stop being coy and just come out and say it: this is a Potterverse version of Othello, set during the First War, with the four Marauders (plus Lily) cast in the major roles. If you're a Shakespeare (or Kenneth Branagh/Laurence Fishburne fan), I hope you'll enjoy it. If not... it's not too Shakespearey, honest. *shifty eyes* Smile

In Act II, the Order sets up its new Headquarters, and drunken debauchery causes a celebratory party to end disastrously.

Otherwise known as: The chapter where Snape makes his entrance. Smile

Teaser:

-------------------------------------------
"Well," Remus said cautiously, peering over his shoulder, "should we get moving? Don't want to be caught standing out here all night."

"Thank you, Lupin," a low voice cut through the night air. "As usual, your flair for stating the obscenely obvious shall surely give us the utmost advantage over our enemies. I daresay, with wisdom like that on your tongue, this war shall end victorious for us in no time."

Remus glanced at the source of the voice, a black silhouette emerging from the darkness. "Oh look," he called, "everyone's favourite Death Eater thinks he's funny! Tell me, Snape, was it that sparkling wit of yours that won you so many friends back - oh, when was it again? Last Wednesday? - when you played for the other team?" Sirius and Peter chuckled; Lily remained silent.

"I wouldn't know, Lupin," Snape replied smoothly. "You're the one best suited to tell us what 'playing for the other team' is like, aren't you?"

--------------------------------------------

Oh, you know you're curious!

Firm warnings still in place for... *clears throat, readies list* :

Alternate Universe, slash, het, character death (canon), abuse, allusions to non-consensual sex, and adult language.

Thanks to all who have read and reviewed Act I!

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Jeepers, the Lumos admins are validating at lightning pace this week! (Thanks, folks!)

The first half of Act III of 'Envy' is now up:

Envy,
Act III: Torment

In which Sirius appeals his case to Lily, James and Remus go out for a drink, and Snape finds something valuable on the floor of the nursery.

Teaser:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
James turned to Remus. "Who was that?" he asked, keeping his voice casual. "It looked like Sirius, but-"

"But what?" Remus interjected.

"But... what would Sirius be doing kissing my wife?"

Remus chuckled. "Oh come on, Prongs! It looked fairly innocent to me. Probably just spending some time with his godson. Although..."

"What?"

"Well, nothing. Just that whoever it was certainly snuck off pretty quickly afterwards."

James furrowed his brow.

"So it couldn't have been Sirius," Remus continued. "He'd know better than to show his face to either you or Lily right now, what with his actions last month."

"Right," James said cautiously as they reached the kitchen door.

"And besides," Remus pressed on, lowering his voice as they entered, "surely Sirius wouldn't behave like a guilty man, skulking off when he heard you approach?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Warnings still firmly in place for: AU, Slash, het, character death (canon), abuse, allusions to non-consensual sex, and adult language.

Many thanks to those who have read and reviewed so far!

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
*races to get this damn thing posted before HBP*

The concluding half of Act III of 'Envy,' my Marauders retelling of Othello, has now been validated at Lumos -

Envy, Act III,
concluded

In this chapter: James pays Remus a visit in search of proof of Lily's infidelity, Lily makes Snape a cup of tea, and a kitchen confrontation leaves Lily in a dangerous position.

Also known as: The chapter in which Snegurochka gives up on the icky het and returns to her slashy roots. Smile

Teaser:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Remus reached out again and ran a hand down James's neck. "There's something else," he said quietly.

James raised his head and fire flashed through his eyes. "Tell me."

"That handkerchief Lily has – the Gryffindor one you gave her from your grandmother?"

"Yes..." James drew the word out, gazing deep into Remus's eyes.

"He's got it."

James's mouth dropped open. "Oh, blood blood blood," he said under his breath, then turned back to Remus. "She gave it to him? Did you see it?"

Remus paused.

"Out with it, Remus! For god’s sake, it's like pumping water from a stone with you – tell me what you know!" James jumped to his feet and stood over his friend, who was suddenly very aware that he was wearing only a towel.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Much more coming next week!

Please be warned that this is not a pretty fic, and for those trying to get back in touch with canon before book 6, this AU/canon mind-f**k is probably not the way to go. Smile

List of warnings: AU, slash, het, character death (canon), abuse, allusions to non-consensual sex, adult language.

Extra warnings in this chapter for scenes of domestic abuse.

Wheeee! Who doesn't want to read it now, eh? *eyeroll*

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hello again!

We are now into Act IV of Envy, my Marauders retelling of Othello, updated today at Lumos:

Envy,
Act IV: Cloaked and Daggered

In which Sirius meets up with an old acquaintance, James and Remus go for another drink, Sirius brags about a conquest, and a common garden rat makes an intriguing discovery.

Teaser:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you have your Cloak on you?"

"Always."

"Good. Put it on and go sit at that table over there. It's not very busy in here, so no one will notice. When Sirius comes out, I'll ask him point-blank about Lily. All the details. When, how often, which ways, all of it. You can hear it all for yourself, and then all this business about doubting my loyalty will be done with, yeah?"

James bit his bottom lip.

"He'll be back here any second, James. Do you want to hear or not?"

James looked Remus directly in the eye and steeled his jaw. He reached into his robes and pulled out his Invisibility Cloak, folded to the size of a handkerchief. He cast a quick glance around at the other patrons, all of whom were either staggeringly drunk and hitting on Rosmerta at the bar, or too deep in their own conversations to pay James and Remus any mind. James ducked below the table and slipped the Cloak over his head.

Remus watched him vanish and gave a diabolical smile. In another second he noticed a chair two tables over shuffle almost imperceptibly away from its table, and he knew the game was on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go read! Hey, what else are you doing with your time for the next 11 days? Wink

Be warned that this is an L-rated, Alternate Universe fic, with some slash, some het, some character deaths, quite a bit of abuse, at least one scene of non-con sex, and much adult language.

Many thanks to those who have read so far!

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
The continuation of Act 4 is now up at Lumos!

Envy,
Act IV, continued

In which we peek into Remus's Pensieve, McGonagall visits the warehouse with news, Snape confronts James, and Snape and Lily wonder if Remus knows more about the commander's mania than he's letting on...

Teaser:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alert readers of this tale and its eminently engaging dramatis personae may be wondering why our villain has not yet betrayed second thoughts about his diabolical scheming, particularly when, in a truly unintended side effect, his target's wife had been showing up to meals every few days with fresh bruises on her face and arms.

In order to answer this astute question, said clever readers may wish to join us in a brief diversion from our tale, and a sneak peek into the personal Pensieve of one Remus J. Lupin, where, on the shelf labelled simply, "James," lies a single memory – a memory which our villain feeds on night after night; a memory which maintains a frightening degree of control over his present-day actions, so long as it remains swirling in the foggy mist of that marble bowl.

A memory that leaves his mind racing, his lungs gasping, and his stomach churning, every time it visits him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please heed extra warnings in this chapter for scenes of non-consensual sex, and domestic abuse. Eep.

Many thanks to those who have read so far!

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I come to spam you yet again with notice of an update! Act 4 (which had to be split in three parts) is now concluded at Lumos:

Envy,
Act IV, concluded

In which Lily makes a secret visit to a man in a hidden location; a house-elf gathers crucial information for Remus; Peter confronts Remus with more iced coffee; and Sirius is trusted with a very important secret.

Teaser:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a cottage for you," Snape repeated at last, his voice low and gentle. "You must choose a Secret-Keeper, someone you trust. Someone who won't tell your husband where you are. And–" He held up a hand to anticipate what she was thinking. "It can't be me or Albus. We are both hiding too many secrets as it is. Were we in the hands of the Death Eaters, your Fidelius would likely be the first one to crack."

Lily lifted her head and brushed the back of one hand across her cheek. Her voice trembled, but she attempted to steel her nerves. He was right, she realised at last. She had to do this, for her own safety, and for that of her son. "Sirius," she said calmly, stroking Harry's head. "Let it be Sirius."

Snape's eyes blazed. "Surely you're joking," he spat. "Try again."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All warnings still firmly in place: Alternate Universe, slash, het, character death, abuse, non-consensual sex, and adult language.

Only a two-part Act 5 to go after this, and it will be up this week, validators willing!

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Snegurochka
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hello, SHers!

Due to the amazingly speedy validation skills of D'Arcy, Envy, my Potterverse retelling of Othello, is now complete at Lumos:

Envy,
the complete Acts 1-5, plus Epilogue!

Three concluding chapters have been added since I last spammed you with an update.

In Act 5... well, you don't need a summary, do you? All hell breaks loose, some people die, and others get their due. Or... do they?

You may think you have read canon. You may think you know what happened at Godric's Hollow. But (for a few more days, at least) I offer another interpretation. You may not know what you think you know. Smile

Teaser:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Sirius stared, open-mouthed, at McGonagall and Hagrid for a few seconds before turning his head to Remus. "You..." he panted, shaking his head. "You..." Fury radiated from his dark grey eyes as his gaze bore into Remus. "I don't know what you've done to Peter, Moony, but he knew the truth about you, and now so do I."

"Oh, he told you I was the spy, did he?" spat Remus. "Yes, I figured he'd do that."

"Wait a second," Sirius continued, his eyes narrowed. "What about James and Lily? Peter told me you'd try to get the Secret from me, so you could kill Lily and have James to yourself again."

"That's enough, Mr. Black!" McGonagall snapped. "You have a good deal of explaining to do later; if I were you, I would save my breath right now."

"No, Minerva!" Sirius shouted. "Don't you see? Don't any of you see! It's him." He tried to point at Remus, but the bindings held his arms down. "Moony," he intoned, his eyes burning and his breath coming raggedly. "Oh god – we have to- he's told James- oh god, Lily!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EEP!

Please be warned that this chapter features multiple character deaths, scenes of extreme domestic violence, and, regrettably, an act (from canon) that could be interpreted as terrorist in nature.

Also, as always, please remember that it is very Alternate Universe!

This concludes my Shakespearean saga. Thanks so much to everyone who has read and recommended it, and all who have shared their thoughts so far. This story took me almost a year to write, so I very much appreciate the support on it. Smile

Peace,
~Snegurochka