Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  "Severus" vs. "Professor"

Scarlet Siren
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
I'm having a frustrating, but minor struggle with the whole name thing in a story I'm writing. In the chapter I'm working on, the dynamic has changed between Snape and Hermione from just student/professor to student/professor and artist/his lover.

She has asked that he call her by her given name, and he does. But my instinct is to have her choose to continue calling
him "Professor." Normally I wouldn't question my instinct, but I understand that this is a touchy subject for some people. There are those who think such a thing makes the relationship unequal, or unseemly. But what if it's written in such a way that these aren't an issue? Is it acceptable then?

I'd like to read your views on this.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, since no one else is posting, I will. The problem is that I don't like student/teacher ships at all, so I'm a bad choice of person to be commenting on this.

It's the whole balance of power/abuse of authority issue to me; a teacher who is having a relationship with a student is generally an abuser, and the student is being victimised - and that's even if the student doesn't think they are, and even if the teacher's affections are genuine.

There are very few fics I've read where I didn't find the whole student/teacher thing perfectly distasteful and creepy. Generally, the student in the fic has to be particularly mature and self-possessed before the relationship stops bothering me.

So to answer your question, I find the idea of Hermione continuing to call her romantic partner "Professor" just awful and icky. She's clearly subservient to him if she keeps calling her lover by his title, rather than by his name. And that indicates that she not mature or self-possessed - which implies that regardless of his intentions, Snape is abusing her. She's simply not mature enough to be in that kind of a relationship yet, and he's taking advantage of the situation.
JackieJLH
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think that it would depend on the context of the story.

If they are having a real relationship, then yes, they should definatly be on a first name basis. However, that doesn't mean that the first name thing will come naturally to either of them straight off. In reality, Hermione would probably be having just as hard a time adjusting to the switch as you are. Severus probably not so much - being a professor, he's had time to get accustomed to calling his coworkers my their titles in front of students, and by their first names in private, so it wouldn't be as big of a step for him to call a student by her first name as it would be for Hermione to call a teacher my his, even if she does love him.

But like I said, it depends on the context. I'm assuming their having an actual, loving relationship. If what they're having can be better described as PWP, and there is no connection on a more mental, emotional level, then the first name basis would not come easily. After all, if two people are having sex just for the sake of having sex, and there is no deeper understanding, nothing on a personal level between them except for(excuse my vulgarity, but for lack of a better word) fucking, their view of each other (and their closeness outside of the bedroom) probably would not change a whole lot. In that case, they may still call each other Professor Snape and Miss Granger, because there is no real reason not to.

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Scarlet Siren
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
Thank you both for your replies. I've taken both arguments into consideration and I think I know what to do now.

Mouse, I see your point, and have been thinking seriously about it. The last thing I want is portray such an uneven (and disturbing) relationship.

Jackie, the situation is sort of unique, but there are real emotions involved. This is definitely not a one-time or tawdry thing. And by the way, I absolutely LOVE your signature. Very Happy

Thanks again for being so detailed in your answers!

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
A few thoughts:

- Although JKR tends to have characters saying others' names in dialogue, this is actually rare in real speech.

- In addition, people (and characters) who are unsure what to call each other can sometimes go to great lengths to avoid using any name, title, etc.

- If you're dealing with an evolving relationship, you can use the title/name issue to your advantage. Right now, for instance, I'm writing a Snape/Tonks comedy that's not precisely a romance, but does involve them getting to know each other. In the earlier chapters she calls him "sir" (always used sarcastically, in reference to his continued attempts at dominance) or simply "Snape" (which has the safety of being brusque and businesslike). I'm at the point right now where she generally addresses him as "you." Snape, on the other hand, began calling her "Miss Tonks" (not only to keep her in her place as a former student, but also because he noticed she preferred being called Tonks, and he wasn't going to do something she actually liked). He occasionally calls her "Nymphadora," but only when he's really trying to annoy her. Generally it's "you" again.

But in this impasse is the drama, and the resolution of the naming crisis often coincides with the solidification of the relationship. I can tell you now that in my story the next step will be horribly, viciously obnoxious pet names--signifying an escalation in their warfare and perhaps a degree of comfort with each other. I would not recommend this particular route for anything other than a comedy unless you are an extremely good writer.

Anyway, I've pulled myself slightly off my intended topic. Here's my final bit of advice: write what seems natural to you when you're writing it. Often we have an empathic connection to the characters we're writing that will lead us in the right direction. Good luck!
Diana
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
I think it depends a lot on what stage they are at in their relationship as well. There are a few questions you should probably ask yourself.

Do others around them know about their relationship? What kind of relationship are they involved in? Are they in love? Is it purely physical? Or do they both have a nice 'friendship' where they both respect each other and are also physical only without a true romantic relationship?

How old is Hermione in the fic? That is a big question that, once answered, will help you decide what she should refer to him as. And another questions is why do you think she would choose to continue to call him by his title? Is it a sign of respect? Or is she too insecure to call him by his given name? Has he even offered?

Saying that, I can give you my own personal take on this. When I was at uni I had a relationship with one of my professors. Now, I do not condone the teacher/student aspect, but I was an adult. Is Hermione an adult in your story? I usually called him 'Professor' or 'Doctor' (as he was a Ph.D) unless we were in private and then I would call him by his given name. Even when we were out in public, and even though our relationship was not a secret, I still called him by his title. Why? Because, for me at least, it was a show of respect. His collegues did not call him by his given name either, by the way. Why should I? When we were in public, at school, in class, or some other event where other professionals/students were in attendance, it was always 'Professor' or 'Doctor'.

Of course, I can see Hermione still calling him 'Professor' out of habit. I did that one too, by the way. You also have to ask yourself how comfortable would Snape be, in bed with a woman who is calling him 'Professor'.

Just a few things to think about.

Diana