Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  Marriage Law Challenge, Bane to Creativity? (debate time)

Zia
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
skybyrd wrote:
. However, I am writing summaries of the situations, and not writing the stories. I'm not delving into their minds and pulling out the whys and wherefores behind the actions.

It seems I misunderstood you, because what I miss in a lot of stories are the reasons behind the actions, just lots of unbelievable actions.

Quote:
As for the prejudice, again, I guess I see it differently than you do. I see it as similar to some of the racial issues in America, it seems to have alot of parallels. I'm aware I could be projecting and that's not what JKR means at all.

But why do you see it that way? In your first post you made some very far-fetched statements about muggleborns and purebloods and I would like to have some canon back up for this, because as far as I can see there is none.

I'm not familiar with racial issues in America, so I don't know what you are referring to. Can you give some examples? I cannot really imagine a British writer writing about a clearly British world (although magical) would go to the other end of the world for ideas about racism. Especially not when she has an evil Overlord with obvious resemblances to Hitler, in his background as well as in his ideas.
skybyrd
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Zia wrote:

But why do you see it that way? In your first post you made some very far-fetched statements about muggleborns and purebloods and I would like to have some canon back up for this, because as far as I can see there is none.

I'm not familiar with racial issues in America, so I don't know what you are referring to. Can you give some examples? I cannot really imagine a British writer writing about a clearly British world (although magical) would go to the other end of the world for ideas about racism. Especially not when she has an evil Overlord with obvious resemblances to Hitler, in his background as well as in his ideas.

The reaction to the word "mudblood", the distrust of Hagrid and Lupin, the overall "feel" of the characters, especially after family tapestry in Grimmauld place and the interactions of the children. Its very similar to how things were/are where I grew up (suburbs of Washington, DC). I can't think of any more examples off the top of my head, and as I'm getting ready to move, all my HP books are packed.

I'm not sure what area of the world you live in or grew up in but there's quite a bit of lipservice given to the equality of the races here. However, when push comes to shove, there is still disapproval of mixed race marriages, and non-whites still earn less doing the same jobs as whites, have less of a chance for promotion, while working twice as hard as whites, especially white males. I've seen it over and over and over again, where a white male is given break after break after break, and a non white is disciplined or let go for similar behavior.

I imagine there is the pureblood equivelant of the Good Ol' Boy network that runs America's corporations, which you can't break into unless you have the right pedigree. Many who don't have the right pedigree have succeeded, but they succeed in spite of it, and rarely have as much success. That is why I can imagine Hermione broke and unemployed, because I can see her refusing to bow to the establishment.
Zia
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
skybyrd wrote:

The reaction to the word "mudblood",

I've just read the chapter in SC and I don't see what you mean here. It's obvious that most people really do not like the use of this word, and think completely differently.

Quote:
the distrust of Hagrid and Lupin, the overall "feel" of the characters, especially after family tapestry in Grimmauld place and the interactions of the children.

Most characters obviously don't give a damn. It's a small minority that has really sick ideas. Also a small minority of the children.

Quote:
I imagine there is the pureblood equivelant of the Good Ol' Boy network that runs America's corporations, which you can't break into unless you have the right pedigree.

I don't. I see a group of purebloods who care very much and another. larger one who don't care at all.

Quote:
That is why I can imagine Hermione broke and unemployed, because I can see her refusing to bow to the establishment.

As Dubledore and his OoP are a large part of the establishement I cannot see that happen.
Luna Writer
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This might be a tiny side step, but I've been trying to find the original MLC. Whith that I mean the challenge it'self. I have just read quite a lot of the stories, and am intrested in reading the challange itself. So if anyone has it, and can post it here or send me it, or a link to where I can find it I would apriciate it very much. (boy that was a lot of it's Very Happy )

lw
celisnebula
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi Luna,

The original challenge, as far as I know, as it pertains to Hermione and Snape originated from the WIKTT yahoo group (When I Kiss The Teacher). I've heard it said that the MLC also started in some Hermione/Draco areas, but I've only ever read a challenge that dealt with Snape and Hermione, so I don't know if that is true.

Celis

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luna Writer
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has anyone out there ever felt a completely illogical physical pull to someone they couldn't stand...who they couldn't stop arguing with when they were around each other?

yes, I will not get into the ditails, but I was really angry at this guy for a really long time, and in the middel of that anger came atraction. It freeked me out. Any way, enough about that.

To coment on some of the earlier posts in this debate, I have a confesion. I am defintly, oh so very defintly, one of those slowing down to watch a car crash fan girls. As I have said many times to my fanfic reading firends, "the only thing worse that some one is writing this, is that I am actually sitting here reading it." Smile

MLC has allways facinated me, and I know I allway stopp up and take a look, just to see if some one has mannaged it yet. To my own standards, they haven't. I love "Cloak of Courage", read it more than once. I can't say I've read "chaos" though, but know I'll have to take a look. My point is, that with all things, it is what you make of it. Including a MLC. I think that the really challange lying here is to make it work realisticly, sticking as much to the cannon as posible while at the same time allowing for room to devlope. I think that is a greather challange, than to write a story where, eg. Hermione and Snape slowly build up a relationship or have a, what was it it was called, grand passion?

I have been reading fanfiction since the spring of 2002 I belive it was. (boy that is a long time ago), and the stories that has impressed me the most are the ones that take an unbelivable situsation, some of the to the point where if you jsut heard the idea, you would call it "mary sueish". Like harry being sucked into an alternate universe, and comes out of it again in his 15 year old body, but now with mind of a 29 year old, and the trained abileties of a mage who has been to war. I mean, really, it sounds stupid. It sounds like the very first fan fiction I ever wrote whiwh was filled with elves and grand geusters in every other page. Yet, the example I gave above (if you have not yet guessed it) is Midnight Blue's "Mirror of Maybe." It is one of the greatest fan fictions I have ever read, if not the greatest. (in that case closly fallowed by Sam Starbuck's stories of "Stealing Harry" and it's sequels and "Cartografers Craft"). I think that if used corectly the MLC can be a great tool. What I don't belive is that the avrage fan fiction writer is a good enough writer to use that tool properly.