Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  New Members

im2sleepy2
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
Something that is really sad is that on the members list sorted in descending order by join date on a page of 50 there is only 1 that is an actual member. And that is just 1 page. All the rest are either Spammers or possible spammers.

sigh

Sleepy Evil or Very Mad Mad

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
I've been on holiday all of December (and I would imagine that the other admins w/the capability to clean up the mess have been extremely busy).

In other words, I shall be cleaning out the list (again) over the next week.

im2sleepy2
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I apologize for being so very negative.

It is just that I had become very discouraged because of all of the time I had been spending in cleaning out the spam instead of being able to get on and read through the forum and help others.

Every time I came into the forums there were at least 20-30 spam messages to get rid of. And I was coming in about every 3 to 4 hours to try to keep it cleaned out.

It was all very overwhelming. I just needed to vent a little bit. I believe the day that I posted that I had not been able to get in here for a couple of days. Needless to say when I was able to get back, there was an astronomical amount to contend with. Just about every single thread was contaminated. And there were to many in each thread to count or even speculate on the number.

Again, I am really, really sorry for being so derogatory.

Sleepy Embarassed Sad

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Not a problem.

I was only giving a heads up about what is going on. I'm not talking about deleting the spam itself, however, I'm talking about deleting the actual accounts - which I'm about to go through and clean them out (it will take a day or more to do so, depending on how many I find).

In any case, deleting actual accounts is not - to my knowledge - something that all have the access to do. That is what I was referring to. As far as I am aware, only a few of us do, and w/the exception of me (as I was on holiday), the rest of them have been extremely busy w/other site issues.

Anyway, will post more once I have finished the housekeeping.

im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
I have two different posts you may want to look at in this same area.

Known Spammers and Possible or potential spammers that have names that you can start with. Shocked Smile The lists are fairly long. But they are a starting point.

And no I don't have the access to delete accounts. I am only able to delete the spam, and even with that if it is in 2 or 3 places (Help! I'm Lost In Mage, Story Problems, Validated Authors, and maybe a couple more) I can't do anything there.

Again it was just a fit of discouragement and I needed to vent, because other than just deleting the spam there was nothing I could do about it.

I had a pretty good idea that most of the admins were pretty busy in real life, and that was why others weren't available to take care of the spammers.

I think we have over 300 bogus accounts. I know you have your work cut out for you. If there is anything else that I can do to help out, just let me know.

Sleepy Smile

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
I know I've been majorly slacking since my move. I just only usually get a half hour every couple days or so to go online, and then I'm checking my email or catching up on things or trying to get to the queue when I can, and the forums kind of end up waiting. I did clean out all of the spam accounts a few weeks ago, and did about two dozen the other day, so there shouldn't be more than a few pages of spam accounts to delete.

I'll try to get back here to do more in a few hours, and if I can't get back tonight, I'll definitely try and do at least some tomorrow.

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Diana
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
LOL, Jackie! One can only wish. I deleted 190 accounts alone yesterday, and I still have pages to go. (And I know what you mean by only doing it a couple of weeks ago - about a month back I did three or four pages and two days later, I had two new pages to go through, it is a problem that we will have to look into eventually, it's simply not a priority atm).

Really though, relax, everyone. It is not a problem. I've been busy, I can only imagine how busy you've all been (esp you, Jackie, w/the move and then the queue work, etc., etc.), so it isn't anyone's fault, no one is a slacker (except me, but it was either holiday or insanity) and I'm still working on getting things cleaned up.

Once I have all of the accounts cleaned out, I'm going to be doing some housekeeping here as well. If you have any suggestions and/or comments, please let me know.

jynx67
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Just to let you know, phpBB has a spambot program that supposedly is really good. Perhaps you should look into it.
Idril
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm new to posting on the the forums (although I'm not new to Sycophant Hex - I'm a regular reader of Wolfsbane and Ashwinder). I've been a forum-stalker for a while now Smile

I do have a question regarding the posting of advertisements for Fic exchanges. Myself and a fellow author are currently running a Remus Lupin/Hermione Granger fic exchange over on LiveJournal, and I was wondering if I could put up a little ad somewhere in a small corner of the Forum.

Just thought I should ask, just in case I break any rules by posting the promo without asking.

Well, as is obvious from my avatar, I'm an avid reader, writer and shipper of Remus Lupin/Hermione Granger. I also enjoy Severus/Hermione as well as the odd Lucius/Hermione.

I'm 18, and hail from Brisbane, Australia.

Er...ta-ta for now!
celisnebula
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi Idril,

In the Readers' Resources of our forum is an area called
The Quibbler, please go ahead and make a post about your exchange there. You can make a post over there and update it as things come in. Another great resource is Potterpostings over on livejournal (www.potterpostings.livejoural.com) that a great place to crow about what's being posted on your exchange too.

Thanks,
Celisnebula
Help Desk Admin

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger