Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Enchanted Quill  ~  Stuck...

Miki
Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote
I'm stuck at a point in my fic where I'm beginning not to like it. I wanted it to be more dynamic and at later readings one of my main characters seems so passive that I am extremely frustrated. Part of me wants to tear it down and start again...and another part wants to just bin it. Any thoughts as to how to determine the best course?
mouseII
Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
If you're not happy with the story, then you pretty much have to either rewrite it or bin it. All writers get the urge to bin things when they're not going well, but it's a better idea to try re-writing the piece, at least once, even if you do end up binning it in the end anyhow. That gives you practice in fixing the problem, so that you don't end up stuck by it again (or at least not as badly) in the future.

Also, if you haven't got a beta reader for your story yet, then get one. To offer concrete suggestions on your story, a person needs to read it (something we can't do here in the forums Very Happy). Advertise specifically for a beta who can help you with plotting and characterisation.

A good beta can give you specifics, but here's my not-very-expert stab at some general advice:

1) If you have a character who is too passive, can you re-write the story without that character? If they're not doing anything, perhaps they shouldn't be there at all.

2) Every scene needs tension. There should always be some kind of conflict going on. So try going back over your story carefully, and examine every single scene; which ones don't have tension, or perhaps don't have enough tension? If and when you find such scenes, try rewriting just those ones. If your passive character happens to be in a few of those scenes, then you've got a great opportunity to make the character less passive. Make her/him the source of the tension/conflict in that scene.

3) If the character is passive, then things are happening to her/him rather than the character making things happen. To fix this, you can:

a) Alter your plot, so that the passive character is the one causing things to happen in some scenes (this is the best way to handle things, although it's more work than the next suggestion).

b) Don't alter the plot, but have the passive character argue harder against what's happening to them (i.e. have more conflict between characters). As long as the other characters convince the passive character to go along with the plan in the end, then you don't need to change the storyline much, but you've still given the weak character a bit more backbone.
Miki
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Thank you for such explicit help.

I think my real problem is that I need to actually do a outline first. My first fic just sort of grew on its own. However, this was one that had been stewing in my head for a while. I'll do the work because I think I can make it work.

My character seemed passive to me because I hate people that just let things happen to them. It annoyed me that I allowed the character to just sort of limp along and then suddenly develop a spine. I much rather that they were always spunky...maybe depressed for a bit. There's tension. It her response to it that it causing me to be dissatisfied. So I am taking your advise and injecting some backbone.

I do have a beta, and she's a real sweetheart. However, she's an American like myself. I catch a few things because I'm West Indian. However, I need someone to "Britpick" and I am looking currently.

Again, thank you!

Miki.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Hi,

This is much better placed in the Enchanted Quill (writing tips and discussion) section of the forums. Please be sure to post in the appropriate place in the future. I've went ahead and moved this to the appropriate thread for you.

In addition, there are also other topics already started that may help you out with your dilemma. Hopefully, they will be of some help to you. I know that when I'm stuck I tend to set whatever I'm working on aside and try to do a bit of free writing to help me clear my head. Of course, everyone is different, and what may work for some is not always the solution for another.

Good luck on your writing!

Diana
SH Admin/Moderator