Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Character Help  ~  James Potter

Mathstarlette
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 33 Location: out of my mind, leave a message at the beep
I want to write a story with James and the rest of the maruaders, but I'm a little nervous that I might make James to... I don't know, like Harry. I personally think that he's an arrogant jerk, but he also has redeming qualities about him, so, any help? I'd love to get as much knowlegde about him as possible, everything from eye color to personality! Please help, and thank you!

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
WARNING - CONTAINS BOOK 7 SPOILERS

It will very much depend on which school year you're focusing on.

We know from canon (Lupin/Sirius' conversation with Harry in book 5) that James' ego was HUGE during year 5, all the way to the end when he and Sirius "Levicorpus" Snape. It may well have been quite a large ego for a while - his parents doted on Sirius and allowed him round for dinner most nights if Sirius needed to get away from his Slytherin family.

So when he begins school he's already been well cared for, maybe spoiled a little. By 5th year he has a cadre of loyal friends with whom he has monthly adventures, he's mastered becoming an Animagus in secret and he's considered good looking and cool by the majority of his peers. Of course he's an arrogant berk.

But something has to happen that deflates his ego and makes him start to take life seriously. Perhaps it's Lily's influence, or perhaps he learns, when he comes of age (if he was born in September he'd be 17 right at the start of the year, like Hermione), about his Peverell heritage and its implications....

We don't know a huge amount about James, but creating a whole character from what we know from canon shouldn't be too hard Smile

Hope this helps.

Overhill
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
It has always been frustrating to read about how James Potter was head boy, when he was apparently never a prefect, and had such a horrible track record of breaking the rules and bullying.

If you can tell us WHAT redeeming qualities he had (other than playing Quidditch - and he was not a Seeker), that would have gotten him the badge and the girl, more power to you!