Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  The "Non-Romantic OFC" challenge for Occlumency

mouseII
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ahem. Let me first provide my motivation for this challenge:

Most of the people I interact with are not people that I will ever wind up in bed with, so it seems ridiculous to me that so many stories revolve around love, sex and romance. There are an amazing number of interesting human stories out there that have nothing to do with love, so why don't we ever see them? Personally, I'd like to.

Also, most of the women that I know live a life that does not revolve around their hormones, yet whenever you see an OFC in a Snape-centric story, you just know that the only reason she exists is so that she can shag the Potions master. She has no other purpose in life. How distasteful is that? Let's give that poor pathetic OFC a more meaningful existence, shall we?

Hence, mouse presents:

The "Non-Romantic OFC" Challenge (for Occlumency)

- The story must centre around a heterosexual Severus Snape, who is single at the time of the story.

- The story must involve an attractive, single, heterosexual and adult original female character (OFC) whose presence is absolutely necessary and central to the plot, and who must interact extensively with Snape.

- NO love, NO romance, and NO sex are permitted between Snape and the OFC. They're also not allowed to fall in love or have sex with anyone else.

- There should be no particular reason why Snape and the OFC couldn't be a romantic couple. They just aren't.

- Flirting is allowed, but only if it fails to go anywhere. Sexual frustration is allowed. A past relationship between Snape and the OFC is allowed, as long as it's completely dead by the time the story takes place. With all of these things however, please keep in mind: if it's not necessary to the plot, then leave it out. This is NOT a romance.

- The story must be strongly plot-driven. An exploration of sexual frustration does NOT count as a plot. Give your characters something to do.

- Characters other than Snape and the OFC are allowed to have sex and/or fall in love.

- The story must be rigorously compatible with canon (just because it bugs me when fanfiction isn't).

- Other than that, the plotline, characters and timeline for the story are completely up to the writer. Write any damned thing you like, as long as it's not another bloody love story! Twisted Evil
RaeWhit
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believe it when I came across this challenge. Two years ago I began such a story, driven by exactly the points that you so aptly delineated in your opening paragrah. But I wondered where in the world would I post it and would anyone even be interested in reading such a fic. So I was really heartened by this challenge to pick it back up and complete it. I've never posted a challenge fic to SH before. My question is--is there anything different I do when I post it, and where do I indicate that the fic is in response to a challenge? I've posted on Serpensortia, and can't recall from the submission if there was a specific place to mark it as a challenge fic. Thanks so much for throwing out the gauntlet.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hurrah! Someone actually thinks this challenge sounds like a good idea! I was fairly convinced I was the only person in the universe (Potterverse?) who would be interested in such a premise.

I don't know how challenges become "official" on the archives - some of them do. On Occlumency, for example, when you select a category to post your story under, you can select one of the "official" challenges.

My challenge however, is not such a beastie, so probably the best thing to do is to add an Author's Note to the top of your story when you post it, saying that it's a response to "The Non-Romantic OFC" challenge posted in the SH forums.

I am so looking forward to reading your story! When it gets posted, could you post a quick reply here to let me know?

Very Happy ,
mouse
RaeWhit
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:53 am Reply with quote
Mouse--
I'm finishing up a fic for the Dusk till Dawn VIII Challenge, then will move on to this one for my summer project. This OFC fic has always been in the back of my mind, and I've never really stopped writing it in my head. I'm really looking forward to seriously working on it again--grateful for the timely push. I'll let you know when I start to post.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mouse! I want to hug you for this challenge! I can't believe there is someone else in fandom who thinks lemons are not the only fruit! Smile Would you and RaeWhit consider starting some sort of guild? Laughing

You haven't mentioned a date. Is there one, or does the challenge extend to - erm - infinity? I'm writing a story with teen!Severus and an OFC who is his friend, and they are *gasp* not in love with one another. But she doesn't outlast the whole storyline, so maybe it's not a good challenge entry anyway... But it does have an army of original and other characters, all of whom Snape does *not* have sex with.

Hm. I'll give other story options some thought - this challenge is so incredible, I really want to respond to it!

Sigune
mouseII
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
<mouse runs around on the keyboard in glee for a few seconds>
Oh hurrah! Another person has nibbled the bait!

I didn't post a date to be finished by, because I really didn't expect the challenge to be popular. Hmm; do you think I should post a deadline? Some people work better under one, and it's not very "challenging" when there's absolutely no closing date at all.

For now, at least, there is no deadline. I'd just really love to see some stories that aren't wholly about lust, etc.

The original wording of the challenge is:
Quote:
The story must involve an attractive, single, heterosexual and adult original female character (OFC) whose presence is absolutely necessary and central to the plot, and who must interact extensively with Snape.
So she doesn't have to be present throughout the story; she just has to be very important to the story.

It sounds to me as if your story would be an excellent challenge entry! Let me know when your first chapter is posted! I really look forward to reading it, and again, I'm delighted to know that there's another person out there who doesn't think that this is a completely boring idea. Very Happy
Sigune
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmm; do you think I should post a deadline?

Actually I asked because I have a very whimsical muse and consequently deadlines kill me Embarassed . I have been working on the story I mentioned for, what, half a year? The incentive was the Unicorn Bait Challenge, but I didn't make that deadline, and the first chapter was submitted for the Spring Faire ("First Wand") - I miraculously made that, so you'll see it soon.

Unfortunately my OFC doesn't seem to fit the bill at all, or at least not in this story: she's single and heterosexual all right, but unattractive and only fifteen (and so is Snape). She is absolutely necessary to the plot, but she is in only two of the projected seven chapters. Crying or Very sad

Anyway - I'll try and catch a plot bunny, now that I've come across such an astounding challenge that is daring in its own right...

Quote:
I'd just really love to see some stories that aren't wholly about lust, etc.

Me too! None of my stories are about lust, by the way, or even love (though one is about comfort). That's why they are so unpopular Twisted Evil .
phoenix
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting challenge. I'll have to see if the muses grab hold of this. I need to get the current Snape one I'm writing wrapped up, it's almost there. This could provide an intersting diversion for the muses. I've got a Lupin story going now, mostly revision for what's written until the new book comes out.

I guess time to work on some plot outlining. Smile
aphrodeia
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
I love this challenge... there's definitely a shortage on fics where Snape is friends with people. I'm not able to jump in and do a fic on it myself (and, to be honest, my writing is terribly finicky and I have a horrible time doing more than a one-shot a year, it sometimes seems LOL), but I hope to see some replies to this one!

*cheers!*
phoenix
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, my muses have completely fallen in love with this idea. Over the last two days I've written 25 pages. At this rate, it won't take me long to finish it. Smile
mouseII
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
That's wonderful! Let me know as soon as you have some of it posted!
Snegurochka
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Let me join the crowd of applauders for this Challenge. I can't read Snape/OFC fics anymore (unless my friends write them, hee) because quite frankly they are all the same, and I'm not a big enough Snape fan to wade through them.

I think Snape is written much more in-character, as a broad generalisation, when he's not romantically paired with anyone. Sure, that baldly contradicts everything I've ever written, but there you have it. I don't think I'll do this Challenge myself (see above comment about not being a Snape fan/writer, really), but I look forward to reading what others come up with. Smile

Peace,
~Snegurochka
mouseII
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
OMG, the great Snegurochka likes this idea too? Forgive me for being a squee'ing fan girl for a moment, but you write the best slash! "Cheat" is my favourite fic of all time, even if it does make me cry like a baby every time I read it. You rule!

Ahem. Now I'll get back on topic.

Since several people have voiced interest in these kinds of stories, but no one is finished writing one in response to this challenge, would anyone care to recommend a good "non-romantic OFC" fanfic that they've read?

Or for that matter, has anyone previously written a non-romantic OFC fic that they'd like to pimp here to the converted and receptive masses? Very Happy

Um, I'll bashfully volunteer to be the first fic!whore (forgive me): I wrote a non-romantic OFC/Snape story recently that's posted on Occlumency. Although one of my reviewers did point out that it's a wee bit on the sexy side, the story actually could be an entry for this challenge; it fits the requirements. The link is below:

The Cat

Most of the rest of my work is also quite devoid of love, sex and romance, although that's the only story I've done with an OFC in it.
Snegurochka
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Thanks, babe, that's very kind of you. Smile
Razzberry
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or for that matter, has anyone previously written a non-romantic OFC fic that they'd like to pimp here to the converted and receptive masses?

I'll bite! It's a WiP, but it meets the criteria.

A Position of Power
http://lumos.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=1588
Rating: B (primarily for language)

Summary: In a startling display of his infinite wisdom, Cornelius Fudge has taken it into his head once again that Albus Dumbledore is a threat to his position of authority. In an attempt to undermine the credibility of a popular and beloved Headmaster, Fudge removes him from Hogwarts and replaces him with someone new.

At least it isn't Umbridge. Anyone would be better than Umbridge, right?

Great challenge, btw. My muse is already circling it, vulture-like.

I agree with Snegurochka, btw. Snape tends to be much better-written when he's NOT mooning over anyone (male or female, canon or OC) Great idea for a challenge!