Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Deathy Hallows Open Discussion  ~  "Remus and Tonks"

Zen Lady
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 15 Location: on the path to wisdom
Several observations/thoughts about Remus and Tonks.

When I first read this sentence
Harry had a clear view of the bodies lying next to Fred: Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking, apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling.
I thought for a moment, “How the heck can they sleep at a time like this?!” It took a few seconds for the true horror to sink in.

After reading the whole series, the thing that bothers me most about this relationship is that Remus never shows any kind of tenderness or affection for Tonks. What we see is all one-sided: her pursuing him. It makes me think that this poor, lonely old bachelor who, as a penniless werewolf, is not exactly a good catch for a single witch, was so desperate for love and affection that he succumbed to the first (and only) female who wanted him. His joy revolved only around the birth of his child, never around his much younger wife.

I don’t have an interest in slash, and I don’t think it was supposed to be that way, but it seems suspiciously like the Sirius/Remus shippers may be happy about the way things turned out. After all, the spirits that appeared to Harry a la Return of the Jedi were James and Lily, Sirius and Remus. I originally thought that it was supposed to be some kind of “Marauders together in eternity” thing, but then I heard that the deaths of Lupin and Tonks were a late change whereas Arthur Weasley was originally going to die in the battle. It’s a minor point, but it just seems to indicate that Remus and Tonks weren’t together in the afterlife – he was with Sirius, slash or not.

Also, I wonder what happened in the battle. Were the two of them too concerned with each other to fight properly? Did one of them come across the other’s dead body?

What might have happened if Tonks had stayed with Teddy? Did she distract Remus? Might they still both be alive?

Finally, the wording of the sentence above struck me. It says Remus and Tonks whereas much of the series referred to him as Lupin. This seems to me a little device to make his character seem dearer to the reader and to make his loss more dramatic and sad. I can’t think of any other reason… when Harry agonizes over their deaths, he’s thinking Lupin and Tonks

Did anyone else have any similar thoughts?

Purificatus
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely agree with you on these points, and indeed I am a Sirius/Remus 'Shipper.
Some have attested that Rowling killed Remus just so she could have him in the Ressurection Stone sequence, but I think it was more because he wouldn't have to spend the rest of his life agonizing over his son's future, his (falsely-affectionate?) marriage, his loss of Sirius, etc.