Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Deathy Hallows Open Discussion  ~  Relieved

Marianne
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
I knew that Severus would die, I just knew, but I can go on loving him now that he has not died a traitor. If he had been evil, I would not have been able to read any more Snape stories. The scene where he is looking at Harry, dying, "Look at me!" *sniffing*
wonga
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
I also thought he would die, but I would have preferred a different reason for his loyalty.

I don't mind SS/LE I just would have rathered a more complex answer.

I'm rather partial to the Slytherin self-loyalty concept. I wouldn't have minded him dying a traitor (didn't think he would) as long as it was because he was being a selfish prat and died doing what he thought was best for himself.

Damn it! I wanted a chaotic (not evil) Snape! Of course that just might be my personality traits showing. Twisted Evil

Perhaps if there had been more emphasis on vengance rather than love and protection.

~Wonga (The never satisfied.)

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
spoilers

Have to say I was very angry and dissapointed that she killed him off. I have always know he was on the good side but to go with him dying a noble death just sucked. he should have been good and stayed alive now that would have been much better.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
You would probably think that I am stupid, but I was really looking forward to somebody writing here. In Italy book 7 will be released around Xmas, probably (no announced date yet) and I was literally going mad thinking that almost everybody here would know about Severus while I would remain in the dark!

So that woman killed him! I knew it! Damn her! Why? Why?????
I expected it but yes, it hurts!

Bitterly: at least, now that I know, I will resist better until I find an English copy in some bookstore... Perhaps Blockbuster?

Who else has died?
Please let me know, help me overcome this horrible moment, I have always been too sentimental about my favorite characters.

Memory, emotional Italian

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Snape was good but I was hoping for a little more action before Voldie got him. Being bitten by a Nagini over a wand was a bit of a let down, but the memories were interesting.

This last book hasn't killed my enthusiasm for the character at all.
just me
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Now that I know JKR killed Snape I´m not sure I want to read Book 7 at all!

I just hope that all the wonderful fanfiction authors keep writing their wonderful stories - with Snape alive!!!
jedicaroline
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
just me wrote:
Now that I know JKR killed Snape I´m not sure I want to read Book 7 at all!

I just hope that all the wonderful fanfiction authors keep writing their wonderful stories - with Snape alive!!!

If you sail on the good Snape ship you should definitely read book 7. His death is shown in the best possible light and JKR reveals / confirms more about the character's background that will hopefully inspire new fics.
Losumi
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
...there is a death scene. But there is something a bit open-ended about it, after all. Maybe not for some readers, but I think the creative minds around here will see it has possibilities for fanfiction. We never see Snape buried, and there is the line in the earlier part of the book (regarding another character, but still...) that death only kills the body, not the soul.

I am relieved to see some posts here. Our local independent bookstore (granted, a maverick) starting selling the book on 4 pm Friday. I had pre-ordered, so that's when I picked it up. Admission: as soon as I got in the car, I flipped to the back (I am not good at suspense). So I knew the outcome right away. But the great thing about Rowling is that the journey is the best part. It's a good thing I put meatloaf in the over right before picking up the book, else my family wouldn't have had dinner.

Although I had promised my husband I wouldn't, I stayed up until the early hours reading until I finished. He knew I would!

So to all those nay-sayers out in the real world, you can never quite tell who can feel love the deepest!
dryade
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Losumi wrote:
...there is a death scene. But there is something a bit open-ended about it, after all. Maybe not for some readers, but I think the creative minds around here will see it has possibilities for fanfiction...

I wholeheartedly agree! I was very satisfied with the role she let Snape play. My most tearfilled moment in the book! A bit more complexity might have been nice - his reasoning seemed very two-dimensional to me - but that's where all those wonderfull fanfiction writers can put their quills to good use! I cannot wait to see what will be procured once the 72 hour ban on Ashwinder is lifted. Wink

ta
dryade
Delirium
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it was an open enough death that fanfic writers can easily go AU and resurrect Snape. I don't think it'll kill the Ashwinder writers.
sani
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I am happy she made him good, to be able to tell all the ppl who though he was evil AHA! but it just makes me sad that he had to die. Although Harry finally admitting that Severus is the best men he ever knew was awsome and it felt good. And Harry yelling at Voldy Severus Snape was never your man. I loved learning that DD was not infalable, that he was human. But I know writers here at Ashwinder will keep him alive! I feel like there should have been more to it. I just didnt like the cliche of he was a tragic hero who died. I wish there was more to the fact that he changed sides then just Lilly.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
Yanno.... with the exception of the epilogue part, you could play it off as Nagani bit him severely, and he passed out -- but was saved (at least in the land of lala fan fiction)!

*sighs*

But, at least we were not lead down the prim-rose path of wanting to believe him good when all the whilst he was evil!

*Is going to re-read the book as soon as I stop crying - I swear, it's the first time I've had to set a book down because I was crying too hard to read*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LadyWhitehart
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
I can accept that Snape died and thankfully he died being more or less on the light side. BUT....

To have him just left to #^&#$&^ rot in the Shrieking Shack? That's just wrong. Crying or Very sad

And there was no mention of Snape having a portrait in the headmaster's study. If he was allowed in there, doesn't that mean that he was considered legitimate headmaster? It's sad to think that his only reward was that Harry used Severus as a middle name for one of his kids. *shoots self in foot*

For any one who cares I've decided to continue Meant to Be.... Enemies? as I had originally intended to write it.

memory
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
My goodness! All your replies make me even more anxious to read and greatly angry for all this time passing with just these little drops of knowledge here and there...
I have to visit an international bookstore as soon as I can!

Please write some considerations more also about the other people who died.

Thanks!

PS. I'm also sincerely worried for all these tears that have been shed... I'll have to buy hundreds of tissues boxes...

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
LadyWhitehart wrote:
I can accept that Snape died and thankfully he died being more or less on the light side. BUT....

To have him just left to #^&#$&^ rot in the Shrieking Shack? That's just wrong. Crying or Very sad

I agree! When Harry went outside with Ron and Hermione I thought: "Oh, great, he's gonna go bury Snape and cry over him like he did with Dobby."

Not so much.

Did anyone else think it was odd that Harry had almost no reaction whatsoever to what he saw in Snape's memories? He's just found out that the man he's hated for years loved his mother, has been good all along, killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's orders, has been protecting him all his life, actually cared about him, and he doesn't react to any of it. I thought that kind of a revelation would have been earth shattering for Harry, but apparently not.

Also, Snape's death was so pointless and sad. He didn't die saving Harry like I thought he would. He died over a stupid wand? Horrible.