Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Moaning Myrtle's death

Mathstarlette
Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 33 Location: out of my mind, leave a message at the beep
Hey, I was rereading the second book, and I noticed that she's wearing glasses, so doesn't that mean that she shouldn't have died, but only been petrified because the snake couldn't look her directly in the eye?
I'm not sure, but if looking through a camera lense is good enough to protect someone from the deadly gaze, why not a pair of thick glasses?

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Glasses might have prevented her death, but I don't think she was wearing them when she died. She was crying in the stall when she heard the Basilisk, and she only stepped out to tell it to go away. I think that most people would take their glasses off if they were crying, they only get in the way. Myrtle also said that Olive Hornby was teasing her about her glasses, so maybe she removed her glasses because she was embarrassed. Of course, that's all conjecture, so maybe it's just a mistake, or glasses weren't enough to protect her.
Pennfana
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Glasses probably wouldn't be enough, even if they were very thick. You're still looking directly at things, after all, even if there's a layer of glass in the way. But if Colin's camera was enough, then it's probably because it was a "Single-lens reflex" camera (or "SLR" for short).

With a regular camera you do look (more or less, anyway) directly at what you're photographing, but with an SLR, what you see through the viewfinder is actually an image on a mirror. Basically, what happens is that light enters the camera lens and then the image is reflected by a system of mirrors (the "pentaprism") which picks up the image from the back of the camera and sort of bounces it to the viewfinder. (For a more detailed explanation, see the Wikipedia article.) Anyway, because of the mirrors in the type of camera he must've been using, Colin was technically not looking directly at the Basilisk and that's probably why he survived.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Pennfana wrote:
Glasses probably wouldn't be enough, even if they were very thick. You're still looking directly at things, after all, even if there's a layer of glass in the way. But if Colin's camera was enough, then it's probably because it was a "Single-lens reflex" camera (or "SLR" for short).

That makes much more sense than what I had come up with.

It occurred to me, though, if glasses were enough, Harry needn't have run around the CoS with his eyes shut; he wears glasses too.