Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Quibbler  ~  The best fic I ever read

azazello
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I've recced this everywhere else, and seeing as this forum is still innocent, let's kick off somehow.

This is easily the best fic I ever read. I am a dedicated het writer, and it is slash. It's that good. Really.

http://www.swish-n-flick.netfirms.com/images/coverpages/iyap_cover.htm

The story is "If You are Prepared" by Cybele.

This is the great Snape/Harry (Snarry) slash angst epic. Here goes, this is why you should read it.

Essentially this is a story that will convert all but the most entrenched readers to slash, and above all to the Snape/Harry pairing.

It begins where GOF left off, with Dumbledore's cryptic request to Severus, "If you are prepared" and then quickly segues into Snape's rescue and removal of Harry from his relatives.

What develops from there, and the moving tale of who Snape is, and why he is so attracted to Harry (hugely against his will) is this story. You'll be stunned.

A moving story of tragic redemption and love, this novel length will astonish and surprise you. Yes, there is NC17 male slash action (I found it beautifully written), but there is also wonderful emotion. Then, just when you can take no more, Cybele brings off something that you just would not believe.*

I won't say what it is. It would be a spoiler. However, read this if you are reasonably broad minded, and think "Convert me to Snarry!" This story will do just that.

A stunning Snape "voice" and a wonderful and bittersweet lovestory. I'd say everyone should give this masterpiece a go. 11 out of 10.

Oh, and I forgot to say the writing is brillliant. Just fabulous.

*Contact me direct for what it is... Ifyou do not guess. However, I'm betting you'll see it.
Novinha
Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
And to be honest I had a number of reasons to check this story - one of them was the fact that my best friend said that she cannot comprehand the idea of SS/HG, and that if she had time, she'd rather read HP/SS. The other was the fact that Azazello recommended - and I trust Her taste when it comes to fanfiction. And I can say that even if I don't deem myself converted, I found the story terrific. I don't think I will read any more Snarrys - just not my cup of tea - but I know I spent the time valuably.
Thank You, Azazello,
Greetings from Poland, where my class has just finished reading Bulhakov's "Mastier i Margarita"
Lucid
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I just spent three days on and off reading 'If you are prepared'.

I feel as though I've run a marathon. It was excellent and beautifully written. I am not a Snarry fan by any means, though I am not adverse to slash. I really couldn't get enough of it.

I think what I enjoyed the most is the fact that as far as I could see, every character stayed in character, and thats not easy to do in a slash fic by any means. They were superbly written. I particularly enjoyed Snape and Lupin they were perfect.

I could see myself reading more Snarry, though what would be the point? What story out there could beat that one?

I even emailed the Author and let her know what I thought.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Posts: 64 Location: The Republic of Texas
Snarry usually has me running far far far in the opposite direction. I did read most of this before the image of Harry and Snape...doing it...got to me. Very very well written story. It almost eliminated my Snarry squick.
tjbaby
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
Something took my fancy and I just had to read this. Well, okay it might have had something to do with who recommended it Smile I have just spent three days reading this story and although not into Snarry, I loved this story. i certainly felt a lot of emotion at the end, although a bit disgruntled that it had to end.

Well written and deserving of its acclaim.
liquidscissors
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
I read it last week, and was wildly turned off by the twin horrors of Snape Manor and Stockholme Syndrome.

Eeek.
aphrodeia
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
Aw come on. Those who cancel each other out. Snarf.

I loved this one, and I'm not entirely sure why. Mightly angsty, to be sure, and I was in denial up until the end. Well-written, even if I didn't squee over some of the devices.

Good stuff.

Aphrodeia
Alynna
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote
One of the most powerful fics I've ever read, and one of very few in which I wasn't totally squicked by the NC17 bits - some of them were dang near beautiful to read. There is one scene toward the end - the interrupted one in the living room, if you've read the fic and recall - that will always stay with me... it just evoked a sort of perfection and happiness that made the ending all the more powerful.

Hannah
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"If you are prepared" is absolutely one of the top ten best fanfics ever. It totally converted me to Snarry.. Laughing

I´m new by the way, so "Hi" Wink
im2sleepy2
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
WELCOME ABOARD!!

It's nice to have you Hannah. Look around. Read a little. Join in the different conversations.

Enjoy your stay!!!

Sleepy

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I was completely blown over by this story, and it touched me deeply. I have OFFICIALLY converted over to SS/HP. It's too good to resist...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger