Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Brit-Picker Keepers  ~  The infamous fanny questions...

LariLee
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
How rude would it be to call out, "Get your fanny over here!" Would this be something that people would stop and stare at you for?

Over here, fanny is such a common term for the arse, it's sort of a kiddy version. I hope it's really bad. Smile Because I already know how I want to work it in to a story...
Andromeda
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Fanny, means a womans genitals. No one I know in the UK would use that - we would bascially say Get your arse over here, or get your behind over here. Most of the time it is arse. You can't go wrong with arse.
LariLee
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I meant if an American or someone were to say, "Get your fanny over here!" would it cause a stir? Would people stop and snicker... or stare in shock? I've been doing cultural differences in one of my stories in this would be a really fun one-- if it causes shock.
cherrypop
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It's not REALLY bad, I mean, fanny isn't a swear word or anything. But yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if someone said that to me!
Mizzlsd
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the simpsons and it said something about Fanny's and I was just confused, people wouldn't think it offensive they would just look at you like your crazy or something Smile...you crazy Americans Smile

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2005 Posts: 5 Location: dorset ~ farmers paradise!
LariLee wrote:
I meant if an American or someone were to say, "Get your fanny over here!" would it cause a stir? Would people stop and snicker... or stare in shock? I've been doing cultural differences in one of my stories in this would be a really fun one-- if it causes shock.

theyd probably stare in shock, or snigger loudly, the best option would be "get your ass over here" (i say ass, sounds better, i just sound like a ponce if i say "arse" i sound far too posh, damned upbringing) OR "get your butt over here!" okay?

¤LUCIFER IS NICE REALLY!¤

a friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better (yes holly, hobbit weed!)

spacewoman pip!

*~*QueenofAttolia and Pipkin ~ best friends forever and a day...*~*
celeritas
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I think if you said 'fanny' in Britain most people would look at you in amused shock, but that you'd get away with it because you're an American. If I shouted 'Get your fanny over here' in the middle of Manchester, however, people wouldn't be so tolerant. Especially not the elderly. Therefore, it probably isn't the best word to use. Cool
Helbling
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
We once had an American teacher in my primary school who tended to overuse the word 'fanny', even in his meaning, never mind in ours. He was, ah, reprimanded for it after the little kids picked it up!

It's probabl safer not to use in fanfic - no one in their right mind still uses it here unless they're under 10 and have been raised by 80 something grandparents - but either way, it never comes up in polite conversation.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
Fanny, means a womans genitals. No one I know in the UK would use that - we would bascially say Get your arse over here, or get your behind over here. Most of the time it is arse. You can't go wrong with arse.

Well that explains a line I read recently and didn't get!

So was the name Fanny Hill intended to be suggestive when the book was published or is the slang more recent than that? I'd guess more recent or Jane Austen would have found another name for Fanny Price.

-Liz

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
yelling get your Fanny over here would be like walking down the streets of New York shouting "Get your Pussy over here"

I once made the mistake of calling my bum bag a Fanny Pack, OH boy did I get a lecture about rude language

Icon of Sha Ruhk Khan by me