Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Brit-Picker Keepers  ~  Will Act as Brit Consultant. Dr Az

morningstar85
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
I got a quick question:
When students talk about ditching class, how do they refer to it? Do they say they ditched class? skipped class? some other term I'm not aware of Help!
Thanks,
Amanda

PS- I've never said howdy, but I know some people always get a kick out of the fact I say pop instead of soda (it's a Chicago thing...)
starrynite
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you still need help but you could try these phases.

mitching e.g you mitch off a lesson or "bunk off" a lesson
ginga bird
Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if it's still relevent but in the North of England (where I hail from) we say 'twagging' when reffering to ditching school. It's a fab word.

Another thing to remember is that regional accents are a huge thing in England, so much so as to be another language. I'm from the east coast and my friend is from Tooting in London and we talk so differently.

For example, for her as a southerner to say the word Tw*t is nothing, but up north that is one of the worst things you can be called.

I refer to small children as 'bains' but the word is gibberish to her, chewing gum is 'spoggi' and make up is 'war paint'.

From JK's description of spinners end it sounds like it's probably a street in Stoke on Trent, once the home of the biggest pottery industry in the world. If this is the case then Snape would probably either have a northern accent or at the very least have a knowledge of northern words so I don't doubt he'd come up with a few odd words and phrases.
skywise
Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, now you've done it. I'll only be able to think of Sevvy with a "Last of the Summer Wine" accent now. Somehow I can't imagine Hermione falling for a chat up line like "By 'eck chuck, tha's a likely looking lass an' no mistake. Give us a kiss then . . ." Laughing

But then I'm a Taff and speak a completely different dialect anyway Laughing
ginga bird
Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
skywise wrote:
Oh dear, now you've done it. I'll only be able to think of Sevvy with a "Last of the Summer Wine" accent now. Somehow I can't imagine Hermione falling for a chat up line like "By 'eck chuck, tha's a likely looking lass an' no mistake. Give us a kiss then . . ." Laughing

But then I'm a Taff and speak a completely different dialect anyway Laughing

Na, he's more of a 'Get yer coat pet, yev scored' type.
Cei
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
The classes at school thing:
Bare in mind here that I come from Liverpool (North West England) and that can be very different from the North East, never mind anywhere else, and now live in the Midlands.
Never heard of "twagging" before, but it is a cool word.
Skipping a class would only refer to not attending one lesson of it, eg if you had to go to the dentist that morning. It could also refer to not attending without permission but it would be the teachers who would use that word. The kids would be more likely to say that they were "bunking off" or had "bunked off".
To stop taking a subject completely we would say we had dropped it, eg "I've dropped French".

One interesting difference between regions I discovered was when a girl came up from Cornwall on the South coast and wondered why she quickly gained a reputation in college for sleeping around and cheating on boyfriends and lying about who she was going out with. I found out that in Cornwall to say you are "seeing" someone just means that you have made friends with them. In Liverpool it means that they are your boy/girl friend.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jun 2005 Posts: 7 Location: Milton Keynes (England)
Haven't heard of 'twagging' but wagging.

You have a belt - goes around the top of trousers (waistband) through belt loops. Braces, are the elasticated straps that clip to the front of the trousers, over the shoulders and down the back to clip to the back of the trousers. (Usually worn by people that are too fat/skinny for belts to work... or people that just don't like belts) It should also be mentioned that braces ALWAYS (as far as I know, anyway) worn over the shirt. Which is why they can be bought with patterns on - my music teacher had them with musical notes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gm_weasley
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
morningstar85 wrote:
I got a quick question:
When students talk about ditching class, how do they refer to it? Do they say they ditched class? skipped class?

We used "skiving", as in "so-and-so skived Chemistry", "they're going to skive Geography". There's also "truanting" and "playing truant" but that tends to be parents and teachers talking about students skiving, rather than somethng the students themselves say.

The Internets suggests "dogging", "plunking" and "plugging", but I've never heard any of them used (and is it just me, or do they sound a bit NC17 rated?? Wink)
peskipiksi
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to do the cut and paste thing to get bits of posts in my reply but:

Re 'Jammy cow' jammy can also mean 'lucky'

Re snarky: as well as 'sarcastic' you can use 'sarky' (no N) in speech or informal language.

Here's some others I've noticed - hope they help.

anyplace - anywhere

anymore - confusingly, given the example above, this is always two words - any more.

enough already - 'that's enough' or simply 'enough'

smart - refers to clothes and appearance, not intelligence - use clever, intelligent or bright.

quirk - as in 'His lips quirked' - try 'His lips twitched'. Quirk is a noun meaning a characteristic or idiosyncracy.

snog with - we snog someone, not with someone

And for the PWPers

get off - In British you 'get off with someone' and it only means to snog them, not to have an orgasm!

And on that note I'll sign out!