Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Validated authors

Razzberry
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
First, I have read the FAQ.

Quote:
What is a validated author and how do I become one?
This means the author is validated to upload stories automatically without having them screened. To become a validated author you have to earn the trust of the Admins that your stories will follow the submission rules at all times.

If a validated author allows their story standards to fall, we will remove them from that status and screen the stories while requiring the author to fix the stories that are below the standard. In time the author can earn their validated status back.

What does that mean, exactly? What does it take for an author to 'earn the trust of the Admins that your stories will follow the submission rules at all times'?

Does that mean never having a typo or misplaced comma? Is it having relatively few errors in submissions? Is this a 'don't ask us, we'll let you know if it happens' type of thing? Does an author need to apply for it somehow?

Just wondering
Metamuse
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
Quote:
What does that mean, exactly? What does it take for an author to 'earn the trust of the Admins that your stories will follow the submission rules at all times'?

Does that mean never having a typo or misplaced comma? Is it having relatively few errors in submissions? Is this a 'don't ask us, we'll let you know if it happens' type of thing? Does an author need to apply for it somehow?

The Admins keep track of all stories and letters sent out to authors, if we recognize a pattern that an author is following the submissions rules, rarely have a problem and are willing work with us when there is a problem we will validate them because they have earned our trust in thinking they care about their stories and want them to be as perfect as possible.

Everyone is bound to have a typo and misplaced comma. But having few errors in submissions is one of the main things we keep an eye out for.

I hope this answered your question, if it doesn't please let me know and I'll try to go into further detail.

Thank you.

Estrilda
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
For validated author status, the assumption that "this is a 'don't ask us, we'll let you know if it happens' type of thing" is basically correct. You need not do anything except comply with the rules, be responsive to the admin staff, and wait. Unfortunately, our policy does not provide for validation based on request. It also might be rather surprising, but a large percentage of our validated authors are not people whom we know personally or even socially in the live journal or other online communities. Also, the consistency of the submission is far more important than the length or number. I am the lucky one who usually processes Validated Authors and gets to write the congratulatory letters. Thanks for asking.
Estrilda
Senior Admin Mistress
Sycophant Hex
aikakone
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
webmistress wrote:

The Admins keep track of all stories and letters sent out to authors, if we recognize a pattern that an author is following the submissions rules, rarely have a problem and are willing work with us when there is a problem we will validate them because they have earned our trust in thinking they care about their stories and want them to be as perfect as possible.

Is this true? No, I don't think you'd lie, but when I had first joined the archives I had a few stories denied. When I wrote to the admins who had told me so, they never answered me or my questions. I thought it was rude at the time, and left me very frustrated with SH. Now that I know a record of things is kept, I think it's even ruder not to reply.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Metamuse
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
Are you sure they received the emails though? The admins always welcome authors to email them if they have questions on a decision made.

And yes, we do keep emails on file by story in a forums area just like this one.