Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Omnoculars  ~  Movie Suification

winters
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
My first introduction to Harry Potter was the first movie. I was captivated by this magical world. Especially, Hogwarts with the moving pictures and ghosts and have been hooked ever since. Oh, and music by John Williams always makes a movie better. Not having any young children, I had missed the books. I rectified my error immediately and found a series of books with a lot of depth, which then led me fanfic on the web. (happy,happy,joy,joy)

Of course, the movies will never be as good as the books. Very few movies ever are. "Enemy Mine" and "Lord of the Rings" in the science fiction/fantasy genre are really the only two that come to mind. (oh, forgot, the Narnia movie is off to a good start). But the movies do provide some wonderful visuals to add to our mental data base and believe me I only store the ones I like to picture when I'm reading fanfic or canon.

I try to think of an actor who fits my imagination of Snape and it's hard. I think John Carradine would have made a good Snape but unfortunately HP came to late for him. I personally would like to see a top notch animation version or like a previous person suggested, an ongoing TV series (but only if they stuck strickly to recreating the books). About the Hermione issue, I wasn't surprised as the investors want to appeal to young girls who buy (or have parents buy) most of their paraphernalia. The end of movie 4 was a waste of film. Who cared about watching the other schools leave when they could have shot the scene where Albus confronts Fudge and asks Snape to return to Voldie.

The bottom line is that nothing beats a good book and your imagination.
pipedreamer
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I find myself agreeing with winters that the book + imagination is the best option, and the HP films certainly helped me visualise the places, like Hogwarts and Diagon Alley.

The film I genuinely couldn't stand was The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. Visually stunning, but the script? What script? One of the reasons I love the books is the way they're written and the original BBC adaptation done in the 1980s was just wonderful for remaining extremely faithful to CS Lewis' writing. If anyone doesn't know which adaptation I'm talking about, and is a fan of Narnia - it's well worth the look!

The modern Narnia film took the wonderful words of Lewis and, yes, threw them away and rewrote the script. I found it genuinely dire.

Which just proves that while a movie can do wonders for your visual appetite, there's nothing which beats the total immersion into a book which you probably know all the words to already Very Happy

kore
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
I must say that I completely agree. The BBC adaptation of TLWW was amazing, and I was a little kid when I first saw it. If they were to do the same for the Harry Potter books, and follow them faithfully (read: leave all of the scenes in!), then I would worship the ground that the director walked on...and I'm not one to normally do so.

I have been upset by watching the movies, waiting for my favorite scenes to appear...and then have them be completely blown by. I'm sure you all know how tiring it is to watch a movie based on a book and then realize half of it was missing! The last book-based movie I saw was Memoirs of a Geisha, and except for a few scenes, they were very faithful to the plot, as opposed to the HP movies Sad . Yes, the movies do remain faithful to the SPIRIT of the plot, but not much to the plot itself.

As a side note, I must agree; as wonderful as Alan Rickman is at acting Snape, especially with the voice, he is still far too old and not nearly thin enough to truly embody the character.