Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  Random things dug up from interviews

Razzberry
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:37 am Reply with quote
I was looking at interviews because of another thread, and I came across several quotes and questions/answers from JKR regarding various things that I thought were relevant in fic-writing. Some of these directly contradict certain fanon common practices (including some of the things I've written, I'll admit) So I thought to share, and to share thoughts as well.

Quote:
http://www.swns.com/vaults/rowling.htm

Q: Since Hagrid's name was cleared in Book 2, will he ever be allowed to do magic openly again ?

A: He is allowed. He has been allowed to do magic openly ever since he became a teacher but because he was never fully trained his magic is never going to be what it should be. He is always going to be a bit inept.

~*~

Q: It seems that the wizards and witches at Hogwarts are able to conjure up many things, such as food for the feasts, chairs and sleeping bags. . .if this is so, why does the wizarding world need money ? What are the limitations on the material objects you can conjure up ? It seems unnecessary that the Weasleys would be in such need of money. . . (Jan Campbell)

A: Very good question (well done, Jan!!). There is legislation about what you can conjure and what you can't. Something that you conjure out of thin air will not last. This is a rule I set down for myself early on. I love these logical questions!

~*~

Q: If Harry had a magic duel with Hermione, who would win ? (Doyle Srader, Nacogdoches, TX)

A: Very good question! Because until about halfway through Azkaban, Hermione would have won. But Harry - without anyone really noticing it - is becoming exceptionally good at Defence Against the Dark Arts. So that's the one area in which, almost instinctively, he is particularly talented. Apart from Quidditch.

~*~

Q: Where do the Hogwarts teachers live during the school holidays ? Do they stay at Hogwarts ? (Andrew Zimmer)

A: No, they don't. Filch, the caretaker, stays.

That last one is a direct departure from the premise of many a fanfic. I can't even begin to count the number I've seen where this is a central theme. Not just 'I need a setting and Hogwarts is as good a place as any for a teacher to live during the summer' but rather 'because it is summer and the school is deserted with the exception of the teachers, this is a great opportunity to get x into this teacher's bed.'

The one about Harry and Hermione was one that I found interesting as well, though not really surprising. It's good to see JKR specifically spelling it out though.

As for the one about conjuring, to me that brings up more questions than it answers. For example, things that are conjured out of thin air won't last... Well, how long would they last? For example, the sleeping bags apparently lasted all night. McGonagall conjured a meal for Harry and Ron in CoS... what do you all think are the 'rules' for conjuring things? Could McGonagall conjure a meal because she's a powerful and talented witch or because the food actually existed elsewhere in Hogwarts and she just made it appear in Snape's office? If I were an unscrupulous witch, could I offer Lupin a job, then pay him with gold galleons that I conjured, and he wouldn't realize it for a day or two? Etc.

Quote:
http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/author/transcript1.htm

Q. How can two Muggles have a kid with magical powers? Also how does the Ministry of Magic find out these kids have powers?

A. It's the same as two black-haired people producing a redheaded child. Sometimes these things just happen, and no one really knows why! The Ministry of Magic doesn't find out which children are magic. In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book. Every year Professor McGonagall checks the book, and sends owls to the people who are turning 11.

I thought that was wildly interesting. The first part is fairly common fandom knowledge, but the second part I'd never heard of. So many possibilities lurking in there. There might well be magical people who the Ministry doesn't know exist. The school gets them before the Ministry ever knows they're there. And I like the idea of this quill writing names down as kids are born.

Quote:
http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/author/transcript2.htm

Q Harry Potter for grownups again! Is Voldemort the last remaining ancestor of Slytherin, or the last remaining descendent of Slytherin?

A Ah, you spotted the deliberate error. Yes, it should read "descendent." That's been changed in subsequent editions. (Keep hold of the "ancestor" one, maybe it'll be valuable one day!)

~*~

Q. Can you explain how Lupin turns into a werewolf, since he didn't turn in the Shrieking Shack in Prisoner of Azkaban, but instead he turned only when the full moonlight hit him outside the tunnel? If he only turned into a wolf in the moonlight, why didn't he just stay inside? Did it have to do with the potion? Or was the moon not up yet?

A. The moon wasn't up when he entered the Shrieking Shack.

~*~

Q: How does the wizarding world protect Muggle banks and vaults, etc. from wizards apparating into them and stealing the contents?

A: Well, the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on people apparating. That's why you have to have a license to do it, and the moment you abuse it you can find yourself in serious trouble (or Azkaban!).

regarding Voldemort: Shocked So, the fifteen times great-niece sixty-seven times removed isn't so far out after all...

As for the Shrieking Shack-- good to have that confirmation. That was what I wanted it to be, because 'stay inside' is too easy an answer. I've often wondered about the time frame involved here. I had originally started a fic on the basis that the effects of the full moon are unpredictable and last a span of 12-48 hours, depending on variables. I still wonder about this. For example, if the 'full moon' is at noon on Wednesday, when does Lupin turn into a werewolf and when does he become human again? What if the moon is out during the day? Thoughts, anyone?

Regarding Apparating, how does the Ministry keep tabs on it then? And, if the Ministry keeps tabs on it, then why did Fudge assume that Sirius had Apparated away from Hogwarts at the end of PoA? For that matter, why can't the Ministry just keep an eye on suspected Death Eaters and see where they Apparate to and find Voldemort? Is that indication of how far the Death Eaters have penetrated the Ministry?

Quote:
http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2002/0000-BBC-Interview.htm

Regarding Platform 9-3/4

"Like a lot in the Harry Potter books, it was reality with a twist. I wanted to find another entrance to the magical world, but I didn’t want a kind of time warp thing. I like the entrances to be places you can only find if you have the knowledge. So anyone who ran at the barrier with enough confidence would be able to break through, um, onto this platform between platform 9, platform 10."

So, a Muggle with enough confidence could get onto the platform? And a wizard who doubted would not be able to?

Quote:
http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2004/0304-wbd.htm

faye109: Is 12 the maximum possible number of OWLs one can achieve?

JK Rowling replies -> Yes, I think it is off the top of my head.

~*~

HPFreak7: How are muggle parents convinced to let their kids go to Hogwarts, a strange place they never heard of before; and wouldn't they think it was a practical joke?

JK Rowling replies -> In the case of Muggle parents, special messengers are sent to explain everything to them. But don't forget that they will have noticed that there's something strange about their child for the previous ten years, so it won't come as a complete bolt from the blue.

~*~

Fenny: Will Lord Voldemort get more 'screentime' in the upcoming books?

JK Rowling replies -> You will see him again, but like most evil dictators, he prefers his henchmen to do his dirty work.

Just random stuff that doesn't need comment really, but falls under the 'good to know' category.

Quote:
http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2003/0626-alberthall-fry.htm

JKR: I have been a teacher. I think that I would probably teach charms and I see charms as slightly lighter subject than transfiguration -- it's very hard work. Charms -- little bit more leeway for a bit of personal creativity. Transfiguration -- you've got to get it exactly right -- much more of a scientific subject. My daughter would be much better at transfiguration she's much more of a scientist.

I liked that one for some reason. Transfiguration is more an exact science than charm-work is. There was also a quote around somewhere that JKR thought Charms was interesting because you're adding properties to objects.

Anyway, those were just some things I found interesting in the dozen or so interviews I read-- things I really latched onto from a fanfic writing perspective. Does anyone have any additional insights into any of this?
sophierom
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this post! Some great reminders, though I may have to, er, ignore the bit about professors not staying at Hogwarts during the summer, as I'm currently using this plot device, not to get two characters in bed together, but to get them into a peanut butter war. (That's canonical, isn't it?) Very Happy

Actually, the fact that JKR points out that only Filch stays is very, very interesting, as it suggests that the professors have other places to go, i.e., a home of some sort. I believe that she's also mentioned in another interview (sorry, too lazy to find it at the moment) that she can't discuss the issue of whether or not some of the professors have spouses. So, I'm thinking that the personal life of one or more of the Hogwarts faculty has a fairly important role to play in the last two books.

Razzberry wrote:
What do you all think are the 'rules' for conjuring things? Could McGonagall conjure a meal because she's a powerful and talented witch or because the food actually existed elsewhere in Hogwarts and she just made it appear in Snape's office? If I were an unscrupulous witch, could I offer Lupin a job, then pay him with gold galleons that I conjured, and he wouldn't realize it for a day or two? Etc.

In the case of McGonagall and the food, I would guess that the food existed elsewhere and she made it appear in Snape's office. I wonder if the word "conjure" can be used to describe both the creation of temporary objects (sleeping bags - perhaps Dumbledore is talented enough to set a time code of some sort on them) and the movement of things already in existence (as in the case of the food in Snape's office).

And perhaps a talented enough witch or wizard can tell the difference between conjured and "real" items, so that Lupin would know the difference between real gold and conjured gold. It seems that leprechaun's gold is an example of conjured gold, and perhaps Harry, Ron, and the twins were fooled at the Quidditch world cup because they weren't yet experienced enough to know the difference between real and conjured gold.

This makes me wonder about how witches and wizards value things, material things, in the wizarding world. Even with the limitations placed on conjuring, transfiguring, and charming, witches and wizards have some ability to create and alter material items at will. So, for example, I've read several fanfics in which Hermione transfigures or charms a dress so that it takes on a new color, shape, or style. I wonder if the snobs in the wizarding society would prefer magically altered clothing (as it is a sign of their magical talent/status) or handmade clothing (as it shows that they have enough money to develop their wardrobe; they don't need magic to look good). This is a really silly example, but I guess what I'm thinking is, if snobby purebloods like the Malfoys prefer magically altered clothing, as it reinforces their magical nature, then they'd have a harder time differentiating themselves from the common witch or wizard. If they preferred handmade or non-magically altered goods, then they're treasuring items that could be made by a Muggle. So, the lesson of this ramble? Elitism just doesn't make sense. (And neither do I Very Happy )

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Q: It seems that the wizards and witches at Hogwarts are able to conjure up many things, such as food for the feasts, chairs and sleeping bags. . .if this is so, why does the wizarding world need money ? What are the limitations on the material objects you can conjure up ? It seems unnecessary that the Weasleys would be in such need of money. . . (Jan Campbell)

A: Very good question (well done, Jan!!). There is legislation about what you can conjure and what you can't. Something that you conjure out of thin air will not last. This is a rule I set down for myself early on. I love these logical questions!

I am SO glad that I found this post. This has been bothering me for the longest time. So much so, that I cringe everytime someone conjures things in fan fiction. When I recently reread the books I was careful to reread any passage that including conjuring. Including Minerva with the food in COS and Albus with his various chairs.

Thank you for doing the research and posting.

Now if only someone would ask her if it's possible to remove knickers with the flick of a wand!

www.ofthesky.net
liquidscissors
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Quote:
In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book.

I took that line a while back and hung two short stories around it. It was a very handy little throwaway quote for me.
Owlbait
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
sophierom wrote:

This makes me wonder about how witches and wizards value things, material things, in the wizarding world. Even with the limitations placed on conjuring, transfiguring, and charming, witches and wizards have some ability to create and alter material items at will. So, for example, I've read several fanfics in which Hermione transfigures or charms a dress so that it takes on a new color, shape, or style. I wonder if the snobs in the wizarding society would prefer magically altered clothing (as it is a sign of their magical talent/status) or handmade clothing (as it shows that they have enough money to develop their wardrobe; they don't need magic to look good). This is a really silly example, but I guess what I'm thinking is, if snobby purebloods like the Malfoys prefer magically altered clothing, as it reinforces their magical nature, then they'd have a harder time differentiating themselves from the common witch or wizard. If they preferred handmade or non-magically altered goods, then they're treasuring items that could be made by a Muggle. So, the lesson of this ramble? Elitism just doesn't make sense. (And neither do I Very Happy )

We've seen Draco Malfoy twice now in Madam Malkins, getting new robes altered to fit. She fits him with plain old pins.

It seems likely though that the actual alterations are done magically back in the atelier. I'm envisioning needles enchanged to do the stitching, and they need some supervision - like Molly Weasley in the kitchen. It is real stitches done with real thread, so it *could * be done by a Muggle, but the Malfoys would never patronize a shop if it got out that they took those kinds of shortcuts instead of using proper magic.

A skilled magical couturier would be able to "run" more needles simultanously, and enchant them more precisely to take fine, even stitches, etc. Thus are the laws of capitalism and an efficient economy maintained.

-Liz

-Liz