Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Plot Bunnies  ~  What If The Dursleys Had Loved Harry?

Cat Feral
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 Posts: 23 Location: Northern California
What If The Dursleys Had Loved Harry?

I don't mean, that they'd be okay with magic, but, instead of regarding him as the little freak who'd been dumped onto them to befoul their "perfect" lives, and whom they intended to "stamp that nonsense out of" - what if they saw him as the poor, darling boy, who'd gotten off to such a bad start but whom they now had a chance to salvage?

Would Harry have become as spoiled as Dudley? Would he join in Dudley's bullying, or would he have an instinctive sense that there was something wrong about it? What would they do about it when he did accidental magic? Would he even do it anywhere near as often, if he wasn't always having to defend himself against bullying, horrible haircuts and the like?

What lengths would Dumbledore have to go to to get Harry to Hogwarts? I suspect that Harry would be a lot more reluctant to go if the Aunt and Uncle who had loved him like their own from the time he was a year old were telling him, "We only want what's best for you, darling! You're mother got mixed up with those freaks and where is she now? Dead, that's where! You'll have a safe, normal life going to Smeltings!"

Would Harry have made the same friends once he got to Hogwarts, or would he have been drawn to a whole different set of people? (Oh, God, he might have gravitate straight to Crabbe and Goyle because they reminded him so much of his cousin! Surprised )

Diana
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
This was actually one of the challenges for the Spring Faire Festival that SH hosted a few years back. I remember it well because I created it (the challenge, not the festival).

There were actually two entries using this scenario. At the time, the festival had a whole host of various challenges that authors could (and did) enter. If I can find the links and/or remember the names of the two fics in question, I will post them here.