Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  Confessions of an Angst Whore...

azazello
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a definite groundswell of popularity in the Snapefic biz these days for fluff.

Recently I've seen more fics than you can shake a stick at which feature him as a cutesy doting daddy (and I am sorry, I think most of these fics do not cut it at all), paterfamilias of umpteen brats, etc.

Colour me dim, but I do not see the man who was rampaging around Hogwarts at the end of POA thwarted of revenge against Sirius Black, and also the man who actually came close to harming a student when he discovered Harry eavesdropping on his worst memory as a future family man and all round happy bunny. Not without some quantum changes in his life and the way he sees himself. The man in OOTP does not see himself in a positive way. He's emphatically NOT doting daddy material.

What's especially annoying, is the fact that far too many readers seem to think they can shout the odds with a fic and demand a happy happy joy joy ending, and I've also seen writers bow to that pressure, and write totally inappropriate endings on darker fics that look completely bolted on. I can take a dark fic (up to a point) but frequently find myself muttering WFT? when into the gloom comes wedding, babies and cutesiness just as I was firmly convinced several people were actually going to die. I can think of one or two fics where the death of several characters might have been the only way I could enjoy the fic... Actually, strike that last, wholesale massacre would have been the only decent outcome for the fics I'm thinking of.

And what precisely does fandom have against a rattling good deathbed scene? I love deathbed scenes, always have done.

Canon wise, the story arc of the books is getting darker and gloomier. JKR has predicted more deaths (well she'd know). I doubt very much in a children's book that Harry, Ron or Hermione will die. I feel less confident about the outcome for other characters. Dumbledore looks Dumbledoomed to me. And I am sorry, but Snape looks marked for a grand exit in book 7.

So, perhaps someone would tell me, why the hell is fandom so mainlining on fluff? I'm beginning to choke on it. Where has all the angst gone?

Apart from to Snarry stories, I mean...

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
RachelW
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Posts: 64 Location: The Republic of Texas
Maybe it's what readers seem to vocalise about what they want? I'm getting to a point now where I've decided that listening to the reading audience too much can be a bad thing, because almost without fail, the people requesting happy endings, giving suggestions on what should and shouldn't go into a story, and other things like that, want fluf.

Someone new to writing, especially younger writers who are just excited that 'Hey someone is actually reading something I wrote, not only that they said the liked it! OMG!!...oh, and they want me to write the story like this...hmm, well, I wouldn't want to lose my readers..' are suceptable to writing things that their audience wants because they want to please their audience. If the only feedback they hear at first is 'OH this is so lovely and I want to see a happy ending for EVERYBODY involved'...well, that's what the young, wayward writer writes because they aren't to the point of constructing a story, they're writing out a reviewer led script for reader fantasy.

Anyway, it's taken quite a bit of time for me to come to that conclusion, maybe it's about confidence too. But, I do find it telling that good, angsty, true to character stories such as Snapesforte's 'Taking Over Me' have only a fraction of the reviews some of the fluffy, OOC silliness that some stories (remaining nameless) get.
sophierom
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
azazello wrote:
Where has all the angst gone?

RachelW wrote:
... well, that's what the young, wayward writer writes because they aren't to the point of constructing a story, they're writing out a reviewer led script for reader fantasy.

I think this issue is less about "young" writers and more about what I'll call "reader" writers. In other words, many fanfic writers first started reading fics and then decided, hey, I want to write, too! And why do most people start to read fanfic? I have no data to back this up, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that most readers seek escape and entertainment. And more people find fluff entertaining than angst. So, people tend to write what they want to read, and they want to read fluff.

As an "author" (and I use that term oh-so-loosely) of a very silly story, a piece of fluff, and a WIP that is out of control (but it does have angst!), I like to read a little of many different genres (though there are some I avoid). And guess what ... I tend to "write" (again, I use this term loosely for myself!) what I want to read. If this is the case with most fic authors, then that means that the reason there's a lack of angst is not so much because the young reader is bowing to the pressure of her audience (though I'm sure that could also be happening) but perhaps because most fic authors also want to read fluff (and a side note here: I do not think happy resolutions of plot necessarily equal fluff, nor do I think they're necessarily OOC, but that's another topic, I suppose!).

It seems to me that the underlying issue in this thread is, are angst fics necessarily more IC than fluff? I think neither genre, in its most extreme form, is really true to Snape's character because there is simply too much overt emotion. This is not to say that Snape can't be emotional, but he seems too complex a character to be joyous or depressed for the majority of any story. Personally, I think some of the best IC fics are those in which the emotions are muted and develop slowly. I've been reading Valis2's The Last Sanguimagus on Occlumency. Valis does a fantastic job of crafting a story that, in my opinion, deals with some of the most important issues in Snape's character (guilt, forgiveness, redemption) without resorting to angst.

Okay, I've rambled on for too long. Thanks for the interesting thread topic.

Best,
Sophie

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I’ve mulled Azazello’s query over for a couple of days; still am honestly mulling it over, but will make a stab at voicing my two cents.

As an avid reader, I will pretty much read anything. The library here in town, as well as the local used bookstore owner all know me by name and set aside books they think I might enjoy. I go from one extreme to the other, it is all fodder for my literary gluttony, and will often read one 300-page romance novel followed by a hack’em slash’em novel. I’ve even been known to purchase college textbooks simply because I found the subject interesting (though textbooks have a way of drying out one’s enthusiasm). My sister, by contrast, will only read things of the James Patterson nature, while my Mum is more of a contemporary romance reader, though she branches out when she snags books from me.

I think, in some ways, all of us want the happy, gushy, fairy tale ending; it feeds into the need to see something better than what we have out there. Yet, too much of that leads to saccharine overload. To be mentally engaged, however, we need realism, we need to have characters and gritty, disheartening, real life situations we can identify with. Most published authors can combine the want and the need together, creating a cohesive and compelling plot that draws the audience in.

I enjoy well put-together fluff; it’s an entertainment indulgence I allow myself. Am I apt to leave a review for mere fluff? No, simply because the author of said fluff often has numerous reviews proclaiming the greatness within. I will, conversely, often leave a review for an author who is struggling to create something that might not be exactly what the reviewers want because they are trying to maintain the integrity of their story.

As a writer, I admit it is damn hard not to kowtow to what the readership wants. I often think it is far easer for someone who is not writing with a WIP, simply because they have created their vision without the constant pull and queries to do this or do that. The reviews I have gotten for my stuff have been wonderful, and I appreciate the fact that a reader has felt strongly enough to leave me some feedback. Yet, I get the occasional email directing where they (the reader) think I should take my characters. I even had one person go, “it’s chapter 11, don’t you think they should at least kiss?”

I think every writer wants to construct a story that appeals to the reader, while still constructing our version of events. Many of the readers in the fan fiction forum want the effervescent fodder, and it is very hard for an author not to follow that path because we want the encouragement of the reader. Angst, heartache, realism doesn’t garner the positive feedback.

Take for example, Mistakes Men Make by Razzberry. I personally enjoyed this story; it showed the possible real repercussions of what would happen in that sort of situation. The student, no matter how much at fault, would escape any long-term affects, while the adult would face all the legal and ethical consequences.

Many people disliked this outlay immensely simply because it eschewed the common trend to make it all magically “all right.” Had this been any other child and any other adult there would not be any doubt about the atrocity of the situation; yet because it was about Hermione Granger and Severus Snape, people thought it should have a “romantic loving ending.” It takes a strong author to realistically show how things could possibly be even while facing strong opposition.

Lord, now I feel as though I’m on a soap box.

In a way, it is almost as though we have pushed ourselves into the romance box with fan fiction. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, nor a good thing, it has lead to the feeling that an author “must” create the fairy tale ending to be worth anything in this fiction assembly line. That is not such a good thing, because not all endings should be happy.

Okay… I’m stepping down now before I end up stuffing my foot even further into my mouth. Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diana
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
I've been reading over what everyone has said, and I tend to agree with Az the most.

Of course, I do not mind a happy ending, not by any means. My main gripe is when the happy ending is tacked onto a story that, quite frankly, cannot end happily.

I don't mind the happy endings, but all the stuff in the middle needs to add up first, then, and only then, am I able to believe that the happy (this applies to dark fics and dark endingas as well) end to things is a worthy way to close the story.

Diana
azazello
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
What I find very funny, is this:

1. I wrote a first story that looked like Snape was going to bite the big one a few months down the line from where the story ended.

I got flamed.

2. I wrote a sequel to that which had a romantic and happy ending.

Folks cried fluff. Which when I see some of the teeth aching fluff that is around strikes me as a bit rich...

3. I wrote "But You Alone" to silence those who whinged about fluff in "The Only Warmth" I get howls of the following:

a. Too angsty.

b. Depressing - you must be a right miserable sod to write like this.

c. Pleeeeeeze, write a happy ending!!!!

Generally I'd say I'm pretty good as an all rounder. I also wrote "Shock and Awe" which frequently makes it onto funniest ever lists. And with justification. I was the first to write a story that spells out on its own, what we all know really about Snape's bits. I've written a largely genfic character study. I've written a pure romance, which is pretty damn traditional in intent and outcome. I've also pretty nigh finished an epic tale of fatal love.

I still cannot win. I like sad and happy endings. I dislike inappropriate happy endings on the end of rape and pregnancy fics, where everyone is miserable. I like whatever endings are appropriate. At present, I get sick of pointless fluff. Usually because the writer's depictions make me long for the death of every mis-written character.

Generally, Snape is not a character in canon who lends himself to fluff. Just thought I would mention that.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
sophierom
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Azazello wrote:
I still cannot win. I like sad and happy endings. I dislike inappropriate happy endings on the end of rape and pregnancy fics, where everyone is miserable. I like whatever endings are appropriate. At present, I get sick of pointless fluff. Usually because the writer's depictions make me long for the death of every mis-written character. Generally, Snape is not a character in canon who lends himself to fluff. Just thought I would mention that.

I imagine that your not being able to win is actually a compliment (in a perverse sort of way): you tell stories that are uncomfortable and make people think. Most readers probably turn to fanfiction for escape. So, when you make people uncomfortable, you've accomplished something pretty amazing. As someone who writes utterly forgettable fiction, I rather think that you're "winning" more than you think.

And while I'd agree that canon!Snape is not one who lends himself to fluff, he isn't one who lends himself to love, at least if we're to go by JKR's interview comments. We're all taking a bit of a leap when we pair him with most anyone, but particularly when we pair him with Hermione. I think, as everyone on this thread has suggested, it depends on how an author justifies this "leap" that makes the story worthwhile. There will always be disagreement about what constitutes a "worthwhile" story or what constitutes any sort of category such as fluff or angst. And I don't think that disagreement is necessarily an unhealthy thing in a community. In fact, for me, that's part of what keeps me interested. That being said, I imagine, that as an admin who has to slog through work you consider so OOC that it's no longer fanfiction, this disagreement can be painful. I'm lucky that I'm just a reader who gets to hit the back button when I find something distasteful.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
*boggles*

Forget positive reviews, Celisnebula-- the fact that two months after I finished it people are *still* bringing up Mistakes Men Make is an extraordinary compliment.

And I think sophierom hit it squarely on the head--

Quote:
Most readers probably turn to fanfiction for escape. So, when you make people uncomfortable, you've accomplished something pretty amazing.

A lot of fanfic readers (and writers) seem to be using the medium as a means of escaping a drab life, or a life that is chaotic, or just a crappy day. A disproportionate number of readers, in fact. When I was writing MMM, I had people commenting 'I still don't see how you're going to pull a happy ending out of this' as far in as six chapters (it was only nine chapters in all, and I thought that by the end of chapter two, someone would have had to be smoking something to think that it was going to be fluffy). It was a gentle pressure, though, and easy to ignore. I was snorting to myself and answering 'I'm not going to pull a happy ending out of this.'

I'd also like to play devil's advocate here for a moment. I know that I got an awful lot of publicity for Mistakes Men Make, and there were some fairly harsh reviews on it. I had a LOT of reviews, period. Last time I checked, I was up to 511 reviews, in fact, and I have actually been keeping a mental tally of them.

I'm going to say that around 120 of these are on the final chapter, and these are the comments that are truly pertinent to this conversation-- that's where I caught flack for my ending and it's where people left reviews for the story as a whole.

For every five reviews on that chapter, one was dissatisfied (sometimes nicely and sometimes not), one was VERY complimentary in a non-squee way, one was pure squee and the remaining two tended towards 'The ending was heartbreaking. I understand how there couldn't have been a happy ending to it, but I don't understand why... (anyone who has read probably knows what those dots represent).'

Let me reiterate though. The reviews were VERY complimentary, by and large, and I had a lot of them. And of the ones who were not complimentary, I think only three of them were on the 'has-to-have-a-happy-ending' kick. Might have been two. Most of the people who were dissatisfied thought that I left plot holes or that the ending was too abrupt. There were only a couple of people who were waving the happy ending flag.

Really, the majority of the comments were ego-boosting and the positive reviews outnumbered the negative four to one. Several of the naysayers were much more vocal, and I thought that the commotion it generated was a little ridiculous, but regardless, it was an inescapable fact that the vast majority of my reviews were complimentary. It would have been easy for me to miss that fact given how vocal some of the ones who didn't like it were, but relatively few of the comments were negative.

My question is this (and it's an honest question asked by someone who does not know the answer): do stories with angsty endings really get awful reviews, or is my experience the norm-- a couple of vocal opponents, but overall good reception?

Retreating from the immediate question for a moment, I was a bit nervous about posting over on Ashwinder because I'd heard the horror stories about fangurl armies. I knew how MMM was going to end when I began posting it, and I fully expected to be tarred and feathered by the shippers.

It didn't happen. My experience was that there is a vocal minority who give the ship an intimidating reputation.
JackieJLH
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:48 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I agree with Azazello. I recently posted a one-shot that delved into Snape's mind as Hermione is leaving Hogwarts, and nearly every review I recieved asked for either:

a) Hermione's POV, or

b) a follow up chapter where his love comes back to him, because no story should EVER end without a happy ending...

Hermione's POV I could work with, and actually kind of wanted to do, and from the number of reads it had just in it's first night on the site it would seem that the readers of the first chapter were anxious to see where I'd taken it. However, this time, once again, I was scolded by more than a few reviewers for continuing with my 'sad, depressing' theme.

A few even told me that I HAD to get them together, or wrote down exactly how my story SHOULD end. While I LOVE reviews (because it's always exciting to log in and see that someone has read your work and actually cared enough to comment on it, be it a positive or negative comment) it kind of bothered me.

I'm all for happy endings. Sometimes we need them. But I also think that, in the real world, life rarely gives us completely happy endings. And as I write with the intention of making a story as plausible and as close to canon as possible, I find it hard to write a happy ending every single time.

I actually caught myself trying to think of a way to create a happy ending from my 'heartbreaking' story, but it was useless. What I ended up with was more unrequited love and depression. I actually kind of liked my 'chapter 3', but I'm a little afraid to post it for fear that the reviewers will have my head for it. Smile

I guess what I'm trying to say, in my long winded way, is that sometimes stories are written to be sad, or angsty, or even heartwrenching and depressing. It gets frustrating to work hard on developing and portraying an angsty situation, just to be begged repeatedly to change it. Sad

Okay, I'm done babbling now...

Jackie

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Sparrow
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Feb 2005 Posts: 13 Location: The Wheat Fields of Kansas
As strictly a reader ( my talents lay elsewhere) I like the angsty stories.

There seems to be a lot of fluff out there. This is not bad but it does get a little old. I agree that Snape is not the "happily ever after" type. Lets face it if a female did stop long enough for him to get his hands on her, it would be quick, brutal and romance free.

To the authors who feel pushed to write fluff. Please don't give in. If a story is dark and depressing then make the ending fit. Not everything is ment to have happy endings. If a reader wants fluff hen they need to stick to the fluff catagories. Same for humor, or pwp etc.

Before I get in trouble, yes I do read some fluff, and humor, and pwp. And I enjoy most of them. The stories I don't I just stop reading. No reason the send an author hate mail over an OPINION.

Ok, I'm rambling. Just wanted to say that the angst is appreciated. Keep up the good work.
dwamimok
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm brand new at all this and I have to admit I'm one of those that reads fanfic to escape and I like fluff. It's quite simple really, life is hectic, tense, and maddening and I like to read something with a happy ending.

But I also thought fanfic was just supposed to give fans a chance to "play" with the HP universe and so anyone should be able to write what they darn well please. If you want happy, write happy, if you want angst, write angst. I always look at the categories and any and all warnings and author notes before I read a story and usually stick to the fluffy, funny ones.

I've read a couple of the angsty ones and I thought they were good. But right after I read those I had to go read "Mission: Get Hermione Laid" to make me laugh and put me in a better mood.

For those who want to write angst and get reviews asking for a happy ending...ignore them. YOU are writing the story and YOU are the only person you have to please.

I'm working on a story right now and have one chapter and two outlines going in two directions, one is PWP, lots of smut and the other is General Romance, with a hint of angst. It would be so EASY to do the PWP (not to mention fun!) but the Romantic/Angsty story would probably be of better quality (more work). Either way, because I am ME, I will have a happy ending.

BTW, you will probably never see a review saying I don't like a story or think it should change...no reason to depress the author with a negative comment over just my opinion. I just move on to the next story.
azazello
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:16 am Reply with quote
Well folk can by all means "play with the HP universe". It's a free country after all. However when playing with = canon rape, and character rape, then I would rather not watch.

Um. Severus Snape is just not a fluffy bunny, nor is he the superdaddy of anyone's dreams.

The point I was trying to make was that I read fics that start off promisingly dark. Then mid point the author seems to decide quite outwith the tone of fic and plot that there must be a happy ending. It's not good writing. Those endings do not match and look glued on.

Iseult
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 Posts: 20 Location: Newcastle, Australia
By no means do I see Snape as a Superdaddy. Hopefully as a Potions Master he makes a very effective Contraceptive Potion.

I like my angst angsty. Severus Snape as we know him is not a cuddly little bunny. He is sarcastic and may not be the easiest person to have a relationship with. Especially if that person is sensitive. I see Hermione as a sensitive/empathetic type of person (tears upon Ron's comments in first year just before the troll and her SPEW passion). Therefore fics where she leaves him because he is narky are one of my favourite types of angst, or fics where he couldn't get her at all

I think fics which have Severus as a prickly and difficult person are generally quite in character. However as we do not know what happens in book 7 (if Snape lives - don't forget the debt he owes James Potter) there is the potential for change.

If Snape is a teacher as a debt to Dumbledore (quite a popular theory in fanfic), he may well leave Hogwarts post defeat of Voldemort. Or he might make friends, get some sleep, finish some research, not be fulltime teacher in a boarding school with long hours plus Order and spying duties.

Severus Snape is one defensive personality who is very stressed out.

By removing some of the stressors in his life he might change. He may not become Gildroy Lockhart but there is a possibilty that he becomes a person who has more time for himself.

Also, we have to remember that the HP series are seen from predominately from Harry's view. Harry who streongly dislikes Snape. Like most people who dislike or hate a person Harry is going to allow Snape negative sapects dominated his views and interactions. A civil and solicitous Snape might be big a stretch of even my imagination but he may be less horrible than he is potrayed in public interactions with Harry, other Gryffindors or Mugglephiles.

Which bings me to the fluff. Snape might not become fluffy but he might be associated with fluff. An interfering do-gooder (Hermione, Albus, Molly, Arthur) may well try to lighten Snape's mood. Or a series of events may place him a peculair position.

Fluffiness may result.

And personally I think (post war) a hard working Potions Master and double agent deserves some fluff. Just like he deserves some (consenual and hopefully fantastic) sex.

The vast majority of pre-defeat of Voldemort fluff doesn't cut it. Though many fics on Occlumency do build up a more believable interaction with the occassional fluffy moment. Such as Making Ends Meet by Obadiah Slope which has both angsty and fluffy moments (lots more angst though).

All writing is a reflection of who the author is their viewpoints, values and their take on society, social interaction etc. This is true as true for Tolstoy , Harper Lee, JKR or a fanfic author/writer (some are authors and some are writers). Hence a lot of authors, like a lot of people will write happily ever after stories becuase that is what they want but mey or may not have.

The reverse is true to an extent in regards to angst or pwp. Though fans of angst tend to call our selves realists.

I don't want to meet a man and settle down and have a dozen kids, I don't like reading these type of fics in general (which is why I am a fan of Severus Snape fanfic because there is a certain amount of angst inherent in his character) and why I don't read a lot of Harry/Ginny or Ron/Hermione fics.

Whilst there is a lot of fluff at the moment I am still more stressed at Mary Sue Hermione (the gorgeous celebrity/genius in every/ all round wonder) than I am at Severus Snape being associated with the fluff.

And top of my irritation list - the fics that never end, they go on and on my friend. Please stop these stories where the plot finishes (often around chpater 7 or 10 and sometimes at chapter 3). Use the ideas for a new plot don't string out a story that is OVER.

I better post this before this is the post that never ends Wink
anna_kat
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
All writing is a reflection of who the author is their viewpoints, values and their take on society, social interaction etc.

I damn well hope that this is not true. I'd hate to think that the staggering amount of stories that use rape and torture as a starting point to romance, or portray a dysfunctional, abusive relationship and pretend that everything is fine with the world because they will eventually fall in love, is an accurate reflection of the authors' worldview.

It's a distressing thought that the stories women write about sexual slavery and women being at the mercy of untrustworthy men with whom they experience awesome orgasms, not despite but because of their debasement, reflect an author's true values. I much prefer to think of such stories as either an author's attempt at sensationalism or her sharing some twisted fantasy that she would hate to see played out for real.

I used to love angst but I have grown wary of stories that fall under the twin labels of angst and romance. Angst, for many writers, is nothing more than a way to postpone the inevitable "happy" ending. Such authors do not care for good character development, they settle for good enough to be squeezed into the story they want to write, never mind that they could change the names or even the entire universe without it making the slightest difference.

What I really do not understand is why someone would attempt to write a gritty, dark, realistic story but then chicken out and tack on a wholly inappropriate ending. Realism is fine, it seems, except for the end, which must spell "And they lived happily ever after".

Mind, I am perfectly willing to buy a happy end with Snape as a devoted lover, husband and father, so long as his development from bullying teacher is plausible and credible, and so long as the character he is paired with is not brainwashed, damaged, coerced or otherwise manipulated into confusing abuse with affection. Snarry as well as HG/SS and SS/OC have a lot of the latter and this is the sort of fluff I can do without. It is also the kind of angst that I don't care for.
snarkypants
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I like a good bit of angst in a story, but I don't think that a "happy" ending has to be one with the requisite wedding and babies.

That said, I'm one of the ones who's been begging June for a happy ending to BYA. Not because that's all I like to read. Rather, because the story is so long, and so involving, and the characters so sympathetic, that I want them to find happiness when it is resolved. When writing is good, you identify with the characters, and you want things to end up for them in the way you'd want them to end up for you. But I also trust that June will end the story in a 'true' fashion, and even if it ends unhappily, it will be a satisfying ending.

I, personally, loved the end of "Therapy," because it was true to the character. The sequel was also very good; icing on the cake, as it were (but of the two, I prefer "Therapy"). I love a bittersweet ending to a story, if it makes sense. Rhett has to leave Scarlett, however much we might wish otherwise. Charlotte has to die, leaving Wilbur to raise her children. The Velveteen Rabbit has to become Real.

I recommended "Saving Private Ryan" to a friend, who couldn't believe that I liked that movie when Tom Hanks died at the end (should I have put up a spoiler warning here?). But, I said, he has to die at the end. Because that makes Ryan's survival all the sweeter and more poignant. If Hanks and Damon had slapped each other on the shoulders and walked off into the sunset, the ending wouldn't have had the emotional punch it did. I still well up with tears as Damon's face morphs into the elderly man standing in the graveyard, as he asks his wife if he is a good man.

I've had people ask me for sequels, particularly of my "fluffiest" story to date, "Against the Wall." (Fluffy, in that it ends with a baby.) But I really have nothing more to say about that universe. I might revisit it in a different context (for a ready-established framework of relationships), but I'm not going to add a PWP sequel merely for the sake of doing so. There has to be a story involved, which totally negates the "WP" in PWP.