Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Anybody need a beta?

TB4me2000
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Hey guys! I've been lurking about SH for awhile now and I love the stories and I thought I'd try and get more involved. Sooo if anyone needs a Beta, or just someone who adores HP and will read just about anything, here I am!

Name or Penname: Britt

Email: TB4me2000@aol.com

Beta Experience: No Beta experience, but I was the editor in chief of a school newspaper and a literary magazine, so I do have *some* experience.

Writing Experience: Not brave enough to post anything, but I'm working on it. I am constantly writing though, both essays and creative work.

Personal Website: n/a

Ratings: I'll read just about anything. I'm not a big fan of heavy smut, and I prefer hetero over slash.

Ships: I love HG/SS and HP/GW and RL/NT, but I'll give anything a shot. Again, I prefer the main relationship to be a hetero. one.

Categories/Genres: Prefer Romance and Angst. And I love fluff (who doesn't, deep down?)!

Strengths as beta reader: Potential english major and a former editor, so I proofread about as naturally as I breathe. Grammar & spelling are my strong points. I don't remember how many times I've read the books, so I'm pretty well-versed in Canon as well.

Weakness: I won't write the story for you, but I will try to identify the plot holes and the areas that don't work well. I don't have a lot of experience revising creative work, but I can offer a lot of constructive advise and a lot of enthusiasm Smile

Dislikes: I don't like anything that is way-out-there-AU. I don't like constant PWP, although a little bit here and there is welcome Wink

Any additional notes: I love the marriage law challenge and I love HG/SS (which I know I've already said...but I do!). I also really enjoy the longer stories (as in, 30+ chapters), though I'd happily work on shorter pieces as well.

Sooo...that's about it! Drop me a line if you're interested in working with me, and I'd be happy to oblige!

This is so exciting. Ha. I feel like a little kid again... Oh! Right. I am a college student, so this is a welcome diversion, and like I said, I am an English major, so this mixes two of my loves: proofreading and HP.

Thanks!

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi Britt, this is my first ever fic, its a response to the Dirty Dozen Challenge from November, its only a one-shot. I think its just grammar I need help with, obviously if the plot or characters aren't all that good I will gratefully accept advice and criticism. would u like to help me with it?

Name: RickmansGirl
Email: skyblu02@hotmail.com
Story title: Getting out of Bed
Summary: Hermione is trying to entice herself out of bed, her thoughts of a hot shower and a nice pot of tea wander to the Birthday drinks from the night before. One shot in response to November's Dirty Dozen Challenge.
Rating: Suggestive
Category/Genres: Dirty Dozen Challenge November 2006,possibly AU
Ship: SS/HG
Warnings: none

mtnwmgirl
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi. My beta is currently too busy to continue. You said you liked HG/SS. I'm working on a story on Ashwinder called "Someday We'll Know." I have ten chapters up already, and Ch 11 is in the submission queue.

I guess the only thing you should know is that, with turnaround time on the sub queue being so long, I really like to try and have a chapter ready to go every week or two. I've got the next 7 chapters written, so I really do plan on finishing this story.

Please let me know if you're interested.
Thanks!
mtnwmgirl
shuldham
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Hi,
If your still interested I could use a friendly beta .I have written fic before just not this genre,also not on this site.
My fic runs to about 3,000 words and contains nothing graphic except a little language and mild sex scene.Set after DH but with the important exception that Snape did not die.It is HG/SS and deals with how that comes about .
The title is :The World All Out Of Joint.

Here is a sample.

Blood soaks the snow, the red hair a darker halo against the bright red blood. His life pumps out and his dead eyes stare unseeing at the harsh winter light. There is an agonized cry.
‘No’
A green flash, another body in the snow, his killer sprawled by his side is no comfort to his loved ones.

Soft rain washes the world into a watercolor perspective. A blurred group of huddled figures stand black against the sky, their outlines shimmer in the rain. The second time they had followed a son to watch as the earth reclaimed him. The first time she had buried a husband. She stood with her four year old red haired daughters hand in hers murmuring soothing words .Her other hand clenching her husbands ring so tight the bruise would remain for three weeks.
The crows in the leafless trees stir and flap, their harsh cries a mocking imitation of hers.

Thanks for your time,if your interested let me know.
Ta.Shuldham.E mail, anirtakbevan@yahoo.co.uk